Can go directly to SP2 after reinstalling XP Pro?

I just built a new system at home and installed XP Pro on it. My
question is can I go directly to SP2 or do I have to do SP1 then SP2.
I have already gone to SP2 directly but want to verify that my
assumption that SP1 had it's changes rolled up into SP2.

Dale W.
7 answers Last reply
More about directly reinstalling

    In news:sjd6i1du50b088bu7dss86ddbd1uavouji@4ax.com,
    Dale W. <comcast_subscriber@comcast.net> typed:

    > I just built a new system at home and installed XP Pro on it.
    > My
    > question is can I go directly to SP2

    Yes.

    > or do I have to do SP1 then SP2.

    No.

    > I have already gone to SP2 directly but want to verify that my
    > assumption that SP1 had it's changes rolled up into SP2.

    Yes, your assumption is correct.

    Please reply to the newsgroup

    "Dale W." <comcast_subscriber@comcast.net> wrote in message
    >I just built a new system at home and installed XP Pro on it. My
    > question is can I go directly to SP2 or do I have to do SP1 then SP2.
    > I have already gone to SP2 directly but want to verify that my
    > assumption that SP1 had it's changes rolled up into SP2.
    >
    > Dale W.

    As others have mentioned you do not need to install SP1 before SP2. You do
    however have to make sure you are protected with a firewall if you are
    downloading SP2 from the Internet. It is best to have SP2 on a CD or
    slipstream it with your Windows install CD before installing Windows. If you
    can't do this then make sure you connect to the Internet thought a firewall
    or router. With pre SP2 Windows XP you can be infected within seconds of
    connecting to the Internet. If you connected to the Internet prior to
    installing SP2 scan for viruses before you go any further.

    Kerry

    Yes, you can directly install SP2 without bothering about SP1.

    --

    Anando
    Microsoft MVP- Windows Shell/User

    Folder customizations
    http://newdelhi.sancharnet.in/minku

    Protect your PC!
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    "Dale W." <comcast_subscriber@comcast.net> wrote in message
    >I just built a new system at home and installed XP Pro on it. My
    > question is can I go directly to SP2 or do I have to do SP1 then SP2.
    > I have already gone to SP2 directly but want to verify that my
    > assumption that SP1 had it's changes rolled up into SP2.
    >
    > Dale W.

    Dale W. <comcast_subscriber@comcast.net> wrote:

    > I just built a new system at home and installed XP Pro on it. My
    > question is can I go directly to SP2 or do I have to do SP1 then SP2.
    > I have already gone to SP2 directly but want to verify that my
    > assumption that SP1 had it's changes rolled up into SP2.

    Yes, you can update WinXP RTM (Gold) directly to SP2 since SP2 includes
    all SP1 updates as well.

    --
    d-d

    "Dale W." <comcast_subscriber@comcast.net> wrote in message
    >I just built a new system at home and installed XP Pro on it. My
    > question is can I go directly to SP2 or do I have to do SP1 then SP2.
    > I have already gone to SP2 directly but want to verify that my
    > assumption that SP1 had it's changes rolled up into SP2.
    >
    > Dale W.
    Don't bother with SP1; just go to SP2.
    Next, install anti-virus and firewall software and get them running.
    After you have done that, connect the computer to the internet, and go get
    the updates. There about 20 post SP2 updates.
    Jim

    On Sat, 10 Sep 2005 20:33:51 GMT, "Jim" <j.n@nospam.com> wrote:

    >"Dale W." <comcast_subscriber@comcast.net> wrote in message
    >>I just built a new system at home and installed XP Pro on it. My
    >> question is can I go directly to SP2 or do I have to do SP1 then SP2.
    >> I have already gone to SP2 directly but want to verify that my
    >> assumption that SP1 had it's changes rolled up into SP2.
    >>
    >> Dale W.
    >Don't bother with SP1; just go to SP2.
    >Next, install anti-virus and firewall software and get them running.
    >After you have done that, connect the computer to the internet, and go get
    >the updates. There about 20 post SP2 updates.
    >Jim

    Jim,
    Been there, did that. ;-)

    Thank God for Comcast's 4mb internet service. Not only did MS have
    a bunch of updates, my Symantec Internet Security s/w had a bunch as
    well. Took less than 30min to update everything.

    Thanks to all the responders.

    Dale W.

    If you make use of either the faxing console or the Recovery Console, you
    may wish to install those first, before installing sp2, since it can be a
    bit trickier afterwards

    Jon

    "Dale W." <comcast_subscriber@comcast.net> wrote in message
    >I just built a new system at home and installed XP Pro on it. My
    > question is can I go directly to SP2 or do I have to do SP1 then SP2.
    > I have already gone to SP2 directly but want to verify that my
    > assumption that SP1 had it's changes rolled up into SP2.
    >
    > Dale W.

Microsoft Windows XP