Hard drives

I'm behind when it comes to the newer hard drives...

If I bought another Dell with a SATA HD or the 120 serial HD could I
just put in the HD from another PC, "80 gig 7200 rpm" without a problem?

I notices that a cable was mentioned in some of the descriptions on the Dell
web site.

-=W
2 answers Last reply
More about hard drives

    You're a little behind alright...but then, some people think that I'm a BIG
    behind.

    SATA stands for "serial ATA", so a SATA drive and a serial drive are two
    names for the same thing. The newer SATA drives and the ubiquitous parallel
    ATA (PATA) drives employ different connectors to the motherboard. So long as
    Dell's SATA-equipped computers also include a parallel ATA interface, you'll
    be able to connect a parallel hard drive. There's no problem with have both
    types of hard disk in the same computer.

    Rocky

    "Watertown" <nospam@verizon.net> wrote in message
    > I'm behind when it comes to the newer hard drives...
    >
    > If I bought another Dell with a SATA HD or the 120 serial HD could I
    > just put in the HD from another PC, "80 gig 7200 rpm" without a problem?
    >
    > I notices that a cable was mentioned in some of the descriptions on the
    Dell
    > web site.
    >
    > -=W

    I've read several posts on how to connect a parallel HD as a second HD in
    this situation but each has been a little vague. Can you or anyone post some
    clear instructions?

    Here are some examples.

    "If you have a problem with IDE Devices detecting in the Dell Single Page
    BIOS, try the reset procedure listed below:
    Boot to system setup. Turn on Caps Lock, Scroll Lock, Num Lock,
    Press ALT+E then ALT+F then ALT+B
    IDE devices should redetect on reboot.

    Here's what I did (no guarantees, since I had problems too):
    Pess the <Alt> + <E> keys at the same time but don't know what this does.
    Rescan drives?

    Pess the <Alt> + <F> keys at the same time to load the factory defaults. A
    beep sounds to indicate the defaults have been loaded.

    Press the <Alt> + <B> keys at the same time to save changes and reboot

    Get an IDE cable (which will fit the hard drive), connect it to the hard
    drive and plug it into the motherboard in the empty IDE connector, adjacent
    to the connector for the CD/DVD drive(s).

    Set the jumpers on the hard disk to CS. Use the "end" (Drive 0) of the IDE
    cable.

    Start the PC. Press F2 to get into BIOS setup. Set the Primary IDE Master
    to AUTO. Make sure that the NUM, SCROLL and CAPs keys are all pressed.
    Then press ALT-E F B (hold down the Alt key then press E F B) and the PC
    should reboot and the drives should be detected properly.

    Give that a whirl.

    It will work fine. Set the new HDD to Cable Select and plug it in to the
    Primary connector on your MOBO and the Primary Master to the HDD. Do not
    connect it to the same cable as your CD or DVD drive.

    This is the same way I had mine hooked up. By default, the SATA HDD will be
    recognised as the Boot HDD. As a matter of fact, I couldn't make it work
    with the IDE HDD as the boot HDD while the SATA HDD was installed. Be sure
    the Primary Master HDD is turned on in your BIOS.

    You will then need to format and activate your new HDD. Right click on "My
    Computer" select Manage, Disk Management and then right click on your new
    HDD and select Format. After formatting, right click on the new HDD and
    select "Mark Partition as Active".

    Good Luck,

    I recently bought a Dell Dimension 8300 with a 120Gig HD. I
    took the 80Gig out of my old 4100 and installed it in the
    8300. The 120 Gig is a serial ATA drive and the 80Gig is an
    IDE. The power cable is in place in the case, but I had to
    use a ribbon cable for the 80 Gig. The BIOS didn't recognize
    the 80 Gig, so I called Dell Support. They got me
    straightened out by walking me through things that are not
    in the manual or on the site mentioned in this thread. First
    of all you move the installed drive to the bottom bay and
    put the 10 Gig in the top bay. There are two different color
    coded loose power cables hanging in the case. Hook the power
    cable to the 10 Gig drive, making sure it's the same type as
    is plugged into the original HD. Plug the ribbon cable into
    the empty black receptacle on the motherboard and plug the
    last, not middle, ribbon connector to the HD. As mentioned
    in this thread, the drive jumper should be set to
    cable-select (CS).

    This is where I'm not absolutely sure of the procedure, but
    it goes something like this.

    Once the connectors are all in place, boot the system. Press
    F2 at the DELL screen and get into the setup screen. Turn on
    the scroll lock, caps lock and numlock so that all three
    lights are ON. Then you press ALT-E, then ALT-F. As I said,
    there is a specific sequence of key strokes that must be
    followed and I'm NOT certain of it. Call Dell Support unless
    someone here can attest to the sequence.

    Once I did what the support guy told me, everything was
    fine."

    Brian

    "Rocket J. Squirrel" <rocky@bullwinkle.com> wrote in message
    > You're a little behind alright...but then, some people think that I'm a
    BIG
    > behind.
    >
    > SATA stands for "serial ATA", so a SATA drive and a serial drive are two
    > names for the same thing. The newer SATA drives and the ubiquitous
    parallel
    > ATA (PATA) drives employ different connectors to the motherboard. So long
    as
    > Dell's SATA-equipped computers also include a parallel ATA interface,
    you'll
    > be able to connect a parallel hard drive. There's no problem with have
    both
    > types of hard disk in the same computer.
    >
    > Rocky
    >
    > "Watertown" <nospam@verizon.net> wrote in message
    > > I'm behind when it comes to the newer hard drives...
    > >
    > > If I bought another Dell with a SATA HD or the 120 serial HD could I
    > > just put in the HD from another PC, "80 gig 7200 rpm" without a problem?
    > >
    > > I notices that a cable was mentioned in some of the descriptions on the
    > Dell
    > > web site.
    > >
    > > -=W

Dell Hard Drives HD Computers