Sign in with
Your question

Crashes when 2nd monitor is set to interlaced

Last response: in CPUs
February 4, 2004 2:35:56 PM

I seem to be having a problem...

When I hit alt tab to jump from the game i am playing to another program for some reason my computer freezes up, and then resets on its own.

Once i restart i start up in the Bios and it says that a boot up problem occured and the the CPU speed setting were not corrert.

Im not O'Cing anything.

Any help would be appreciated.

LIST OF things i feal might contribute to the problem.

1. Dual montor, second monitor is interlaced.
2. Cat 3.8
3. generaly have had MSN M, iTunes(streaming), Yahoo M, and IE open...with out them it generally happens anyhow

PROBLEM SOLVED

don't run 3D apps with second monitor set on interlaced if you ALT-TAB(switch programs)

<b>on the verge of catastrophy (y1.999...k)</b>
ASUS P4S8X - P4 2.4B - 2 x 512M DDR333 - ATI 9500 Pro - WD 80G HD(8M) - SAMSUNG SV0844D 8G HD - LG 16X DVD - Yamaha F1 CDRW<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by cdpage on 02/05/04 05:30 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
February 4, 2004 3:50:16 PM

better tell us which windows version you are using.
maybe open your computer case and check if there is any dust buildup in the case.

A fine day!
February 4, 2004 4:33:52 PM

oops ya i suppose that wuold help eh?
Windows XP

As for inside the case...WOW, just too a look... it realy is dusty in there...

I'll clean it out... but i can't see how that could be the problem... It only seems to crash when alt-Tabing
- thinking it might have to do with 3D enviroment to 2D -

we'll see i guess tho

um is using a central vac ok? i have some attachments that are REALY small that are ment for small things like this... but is a central vac to powerfull?

thanks

ASUS P4S8X - P4 2.4B - 2 x 512M DDR333 - ATI 9500 Pro - WD 80G HD(8M) - SAMSUNG SV0844D 8G HD - LG 16X DVD - Yamaha F1 CDRW<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by cdpage on 02/04/04 01:59 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
Related resources
February 4, 2004 5:57:54 PM

Dust can cause all manner of woes. If it builds up too much it can not only cause components to overheat, but it can also conduct small amounts of electricity. Computers hate both of those things.

Quote:
um is using a central vac ok? i have some attachments that are REALY small that are ment for small things like this... but is a central vac to powerfull?

I do not believe that powerful is a problem. What may be a problem however is static electricity. I believe camel hair attachments are meant to counter that, although I could be mistaken. If you do not have a static-proof attachment then I would suggest being <i>very</i> careful not to touch any components while you clean them. (In which case more power would be quite useful.)

Another method would be to buy a can of compressed dry air (any computer shop should carry some, as should any store which carries computer accessories and software) and blow that dust away with zeal. Just be sure to cover your mouth and nose before you blow that dust away or you may induce a rather nasty coughing fit. :wink:

"Sad is the elephant upon the ice who went to put on his wooly coat only to realize that he left it in his other trunk." - DeEvolution
February 4, 2004 6:04:41 PM

hehe yea thanks

yea I'll pick up can.. didn't think of that...

I used the vacume anyhow. the machine was powered down and i turned of the powersuly aswell...

its pretty clean in there now...not that the can wouldn't hurt to do a little more.

the problem still persists. rebooted and turned on Dungeon Siege first thing, started up a game and hit ALT Tab. that works, its gatting BACK into the Game that crashes me

ASUS P4S8X - P4 2.4B - 2 x 512M DDR333 - ATI 9500 Pro - WD 80G HD(8M) - SAMSUNG SV0844D 8G HD - LG 16X DVD - Yamaha F1 CDRW
a b à CPUs
February 4, 2004 6:55:03 PM

Many games do not support Alt-Tab. It will cause them to hang or crash. Could be your problem.

I aint signing nothing!!!
February 4, 2004 7:10:36 PM

realy?... i didn't know that.

thing is, i have had this game for some time now... i only just started playing it again to get it off my computer.

i never realy had that probem before...trying to remember if i had dual display at the time now...

ASUS P4S8X - P4 2.4B - 2 x 512M DDR333 - ATI 9500 Pro - WD 80G HD(8M) - SAMSUNG SV0844D 8G HD - LG 16X DVD - Yamaha F1 CDRW
February 5, 2004 2:12:13 AM

Ok...now, how many background programs are you running while you are playing game?
Your virus scanner, your firewall, distributed computing etc etc.

A fine day!
February 5, 2004 4:04:14 AM

well when i start up there is nothing.

I have my virus dissabled MSN and Yahoo do not start up till i connect.

thats about it.

February 5, 2004 12:40:11 PM

You know, switching to a game in progress can be awfully hard on a computer. Not only do the video card, sound card, RAM, and processor all suddenly get kicked into gear, but often you will also have a heavy hard drive access and quite possibly a CD spinup occurring simultaneous to the afore mentioned as well. That can really be a sudden push on a power supply. Are you certain that yours is up to that task?

Anothing thing to consider would be going back to a single monitor at least just to test if it is stable then or not.

"Sad is the elephant upon the ice who went to put on his wooly coat only to realize that he left it in his other trunk." - DeEvolution
February 5, 2004 8:28:32 PM

You have a very good point there

I gave it a try and low and behold it worked...

But i thought that couldn't be the answer, I knew that i had the monitor on while playing before.

Its becasue the second monitor settings were interlaced

I have it in interlced becaseu its an old monitor and having a monitor at 60Hz in the corner of your eye is VERY anyoing.

it only sets to somthing like 43hz interlaced... but that makes a HUGE diffeance for your periferal vision...actully, its better the 90-100Hz non-interlaced, its just no good for motion.

Guess i'll just have to change that when i play from now on... at least till i get a new monitor

Thnaks for the help...learning something new

ASUS P4S8X - P4 2.4B - 2 x 512M DDR333 - ATI 9500 Pro - WD 80G HD(8M) - SAMSUNG SV0844D 8G HD - LG 16X DVD - Yamaha F1 CDRW<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by cdpage on 02/05/04 05:39 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
!