Presshot requires air conditioning

kinney

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2001
. To be blunt, and to the point, forget about overclocking or even running the Prescott in an un-air conditioned room with the heat sink that comes with the boxed retail version (unless Intel Improves it). Even though the chart shows the retail HSF at 70C we stopped testing at this point and the temperatures were still rising.
After all that waiting and ranting over Presshot it is not only slow, but doubles as a space heater!

We are currently waiting on Prescotts to arrive at the retailers so we can show you some "legit" overclocking with publicly available chips! As of February 3, 2004 we heard both Newegg and Zipzoomfly do not have any stock and an inside source said that they should have some within a week, but went on to say that means a month for Intel.

This was my point I tried to make in another post. That all these overclocking tests are based on hand picked processors intended for review and arent from the consumer channel.

<A HREF="http://www.legitreviews.com/Reviews/prescott_cooling_2.shtml" target="_new">Source</A>

----
RESIDENT FORUM WARRIOR
Support the NV/AMD/IBM axis of evil.
Who cares about HL2/D3 when we have Call of Duty today!!

Vapor

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2001
Since I don't use AC during the NH winter, does that mean I can't run it during the Winter? Shucks, it was such a great performer too![/sarcasm]

Maxtor disgraces the six letters that make Matrox.

kinney

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2001
Its suggested to run your AC in the winter if you have a Presshot.

----
RESIDENT FORUM WARRIOR

Vapor

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2001
Damn, they better fix it or release Tejas by next Winter...oh wait, that's a perfect scheme by Intel--MAKING people change their CPU because of the seasons. What will those guys think up next?!

Maxtor disgraces the six letters that make Matrox.

darko21

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2003
Re: This was my point I tried to make in another post. That all these overclocking tests are based on hand picked processors intended for review and arent from the consumer channel.

Yup I agree, I had the same feeling on this. Looks like its going to be AMD's turn to bask in the sun for a little while at least from an enthusiasts point of view. If only they could crack open some of the OEM market. Maybe once M$ gets xp 64 bit up and running good. Should put some presure on a few OEM's but I don't see dell cracking any time soon.

If I glanced at a spilt box of tooth picks on the floor, could I tell you how many are in the pile. Not a chance, But then again I don't have to buy my underware at Kmart.

kinney

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2001
How about a new motherboard to "upgrade" to a Presshot?

They kind of took that idea and ran away with it.
I had the same motherboard in one of my machines from the Thunderbird core, to the Palomino to the Thoroughbred to a Barton. And even to a Thorton if you felt the need too.

Or you could be an intel fagboy and use socket 423 and 478. That sure sounds good!
O... wait, unless you happened to be one of the many who had a RDRAM board.

RDRAM, yet another example of Intel thinking they can push everyone around.
Charge what they want and pretend to be the great American cowboy.
REALITY CHECK.... prescott sucks! :lol:

----
RESIDENT FORUM WARRIOR

Johanthegnarler

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2003
Holy [-peep-] dude!
I was a person that got stuck with an RDRAM system and board. :/
But i'm AMD now. Even though its not like the performance is any different. Just push this to 1.8vcore and it's great.. just hope like hell the fan doesn't die.
AMD has like a good 2 seconds till it blows:)

<A HREF="http://arc.aquamark3.com/arc/arc_view.php?run=610166081" target="_new">http://arc.aquamark3.com/arc/arc_view.php?run=610166081</A>
Figured i'd do it too..reality my ass.

endyen

Splendid
When I first booted my xp2500+, it ran for about 5 minutes,then started screeming and shut down. Somehow I had pulled the plug on the hsf. I just plugged it in ,and rebooted. That was almost a year ago and it's been running at 2.2+ ever since.

Well damn, I HAVE to get one now... should help me save on my heating costs in the winter.

Thanks kinney... I was trying to decide if I wanted a Presscott or not... you helped me decide.

<font color=red> If you design software that is fool-proof, only a fool will want to use it. </font color=red>

speeduk

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2003
And my 3200 A64 overclocked is sitting here @ 37C and hasn't gone above 42C while running prime.

;)

Athlon 64 3200 @ 2130mhz
2x256mb Twinmos 3200 @ 213mhz 2-3-3-6
MSI K8T
9700pro @ 384/360
Antec 1000AMG

sjonnie

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2001
The new BTX board format has been designed specifically to allow thermal solutions for processors that create 100+ W of heat.

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/myanandtech.html?member=114979" target="_new">My PCs</A> :cool:

sjonnie

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2001
Actually this should be of some concern for companies running lots of PCs. Why create an office environment full of P4s generating 100W+ heat each just so people can use Word and send emails. Much better use a low voltage PIII or something. Not that you can actually buy a LV or ULV PIII anywhere.

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/myanandtech.html?member=114979" target="_new">My PCs</A> :cool:

kinney

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2001
Yes you will save on heat, but be prepared to run the AC, its required for all new intel pretzel processors.

----
RESIDENT FORUM WARRIOR

Snorkius

Splendid
Sep 16, 2003
We have a new computer room at my university with 40+ 3.0C p4s. Impossible to spend more than 10 minutes in there if the admin does'nt open the windows. It'll be hell once summer rolls around. Summer is quake season.

<b>wooooow <font color=red> Killer Klowns </font color=red> ... from <font color=blue>outer space</font color=blue>... HOLY SH¡T!</b>

Well, living up here in Northern Manitoba, running AC in the summer isn't a problem... it's the heating bills in the winter that will kill ya.

<font color=red> If you design software that is fool-proof, only a fool will want to use it. </font color=red>

Johanthegnarler

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2003
Kaka, ever seen that video on hear about the old school AMD chips. It's a great video i can't seem to find it to link though.
It has quake3 and they show taking the hsf off and showing how fast it takes till the system sputters/dies.

<A HREF="http://arc.aquamark3.com/arc/arc_view.php?run=610166081" target="_new">http://arc.aquamark3.com/arc/arc_view.php?run=610166081</A>
Figured i'd do it too..reality my ass.

endyen

Splendid
Ya I saw the video. I've often wondered how many tries it took to get that. I have fixed my share of amd chips that were crashing only because the fan had died. I have had the odd one where the chip was fried, but that was the exception and usually involved ocing and heavy use.