Need BIOS for GW2K Hitman MB

I have a GW Hitman motherboard made by Intel, marked as MBDSAC057AAWW and is
described here:

http://support.gateway.com/s/MOTHERBD/INTEL/SAC057AA/MC057Anv.shtml

The BIOS in there now is 1.00.07.DQOT U. I understand Unicore, who is now
eSupport, wrote an aftermarket BIOS that will allow the use of an AMD CPU.
I'd like to use a Powerleap adapter and a K6-II/III 400 CPU. I emailed
eSupport but have not gotten back a response. Does anyone have this BIOS?

Tx

Does PowerLeap have a BIOS modification? My (imperfect?) understanding of
PowerLeap's K6-2/400 package was that it included a somewhat generic BIOS
modification to support non-Intel processors.

Unicore has never had a great track record for tech support, which makes one
wonder how they even manage to sell BIOS upgrades. eSupport is a new name for
the same old Unicore. The web site continues to be a mish-mash of
not-too-useful information, in contrast to MicroFirmware (R.I.P.) who provided a
wealth of technical info about its own products, pricing, and all manner of
useful related stuff. Must be a message here. Good tech support does not pay
over the long haul?

As attractive as an AMD K6-2 upgrade may seem, especially of you already have
most of the parts in hand, you might be better off swapping in a motherboard
with fewer limitations, especially maximum memory capacity, which a BIOS upgrade
cannot change. May I suggest replacing the board with a low-end Pentium III or
fast Celeron ATX board, at minimum? Board, CPU and memory should run no more
than $50 at today's prices. There are only two technical issues with a mobo
replacement. First, you'd need an I/O shield with the replacement motherboard,
and the shield needs to fit your gw2k case. Second, inevitably some adjustment
of motherboard drivers would be necessary, because the replacement board would
have a different chipset, and Windows gets VERY confused with different chipsets
unless (and even if) one take precautions when doing the replacement. Or reload
Windows from scratch. Unless you are running Linux, which handles chipset
changes very nicely and almost automatically... Ben Myers

On Sat, 24 Jul 2004 04:00:45 GMT, "mdp" <markdpend@spambegone.aol.com> wrote:

>I have a GW Hitman motherboard made by Intel, marked as MBDSAC057AAWW and is
>described here:
>
>http://support.gateway.com/s/MOTHERBD/INTEL/SAC057AA/MC057Anv.shtml
>
>The BIOS in there now is 1.00.07.DQOT U. I understand Unicore, who is now
>eSupport, wrote an aftermarket BIOS that will allow the use of an AMD CPU.
>I'd like to use a Powerleap adapter and a K6-II/III 400 CPU. I emailed
>eSupport but have not gotten back a response. Does anyone have this BIOS?
>
>Tx

Thanks for the reply. I acquired the GW board free and I have a couple PL
adapters w/K6 laying around. Just looking to get it fast enough to give
away. It's quite crippled the way it is (Intel 200MMX max) compared to what
you can pay for now (as you point out).

I'm not aware of PL supplying a BIOS upgrade. I'll have to look into that.

> Does PowerLeap have a BIOS modification? My (imperfect?) understanding of
> PowerLeap's K6-2/400 package was that it included a somewhat generic BIOS
> modification to support non-Intel processors.
>
> Unicore has never had a great track record for tech support, which makes
one
> wonder how they even manage to sell BIOS upgrades. eSupport is a new name
for
> the same old Unicore. The web site continues to be a mish-mash of
> not-too-useful information, in contrast to MicroFirmware (R.I.P.) who
provided a
> wealth of technical info about its own products, pricing, and all manner
of
> useful related stuff. Must be a message here. Good tech support does not
pay
> over the long haul?
>
> As attractive as an AMD K6-2 upgrade may seem, especially of you already
have
> most of the parts in hand, you might be better off swapping in a
motherboard
> with fewer limitations, especially maximum memory capacity, which a BIOS
upgrade
> cannot change. May I suggest replacing the board with a low-end Pentium
III or
> fast Celeron ATX board, at minimum? Board, CPU and memory should run no
more
> than $50 at today's prices. There are only two technical issues with a
mobo
> replacement. First, you'd need an I/O shield with the replacement
motherboard,
> and the shield needs to fit your gw2k case. Second, inevitably some
adjustment
> of motherboard drivers would be necessary, because the replacement board
would
> have a different chipset, and Windows gets VERY confused with different
chipsets
> unless (and even if) one take precautions when doing the replacement. Or
reload
> Windows from scratch. Unless you are running Linux, which handles chipset
> changes very nicely and almost automatically... Ben Myers
>
> On Sat, 24 Jul 2004 04:00:45 GMT, "mdp" <markdpend@spambegone.aol.com>
wrote:

> >I have a GW Hitman motherboard made by Intel, marked as MBDSAC057AAWW and
is
> >described here:
> >
> >http://support.gateway.com/s/MOTHERBD/INTEL/SAC057AA/MC057Anv.shtml
> >
> >The BIOS in there now is 1.00.07.DQOT U. I understand Unicore, who is
now
> >eSupport, wrote an aftermarket BIOS that will allow the use of an AMD
CPU.
> >I'd like to use a Powerleap adapter and a K6-II/III 400 CPU. I emailed
> >eSupport but have not gotten back a response. Does anyone have this BIOS?
> >
> >Tx

They don't supply BIOS updates. You'd either have to buy one from Unicore's
successor, or see if someone is selling a system with the Microfirmware
BIOS on it - an entire system such as this isn't worth more than about
$20-30, so you'd wind up with spare parts in the bargain.

"mdp" <markdpend@spambegone.aol.com> wrote in message
> Thanks for the reply. I acquired the GW board free and I have a couple PL
> adapters w/K6 laying around. Just looking to get it fast enough to give
> away. It's quite crippled the way it is (Intel 200MMX max) compared to
what
> you can pay for now (as you point out).

eSupport finally called me back. I spent the $50. New BIOS works like a
charm, now an Award, was an AMI. I now have a K6-III 400MHz in there plus
it'll detect up to 138GB drives. Tested almost 3 times faster than the
233MMX, likely due to the on-die L2 cache of the K6-III. Was it worth it?
It was for me.