Maxtor or Iomega for an external hard disk?

bullseye

1. Iomega sells its 80 gig external for $115 (with Partition Magic thrown
in?). Maxtor's 80 gig external is $160. Iomega's seems like the better
deal. Why is the Maxtor so much more expensive? Is Maxtor that much
better?

2. I have a Dell 4100 running Windows 2000 pro on a 1 gig PIII. My USB is
version 1.0. Would there be any critical reason to upgrade to version 2?

regards

bullseye wrote:
> 1. Iomega sells its 80 gig external for $115 (with Partition Magic thrown
> in?). Maxtor's 80 gig external is $160. Iomega's seems like the better
> deal. Why is the Maxtor so much more expensive? Is Maxtor that much
> better?
>
> 2. I have a Dell 4100 running Windows 2000 pro on a 1 gig PIII. My USB is
> version 1.0. Would there be any critical reason to upgrade to version 2?
>
> regards

I have the same machine as your except I use WinXP Pro. I purchased an
Adapter Dual USB2.0 and Firewire card and I use that with a Maxtor 250GB
external drive. After testing it out doing some backups, I have
determined that the Firewire is faster that the USB2.0. I know the
specs say different but USB2.0 has more overhead in the data transfers.
Anyway the Maxtor drive works just fine either thru USB or Firewire
and I would highly recommend it.

Eugene

NiteOwl wrote:

> bullseye wrote:
>> 1. Iomega sells its 80 gig external for $115 (with Partition Magic
>> thrown
>> in?). Maxtor's 80 gig external is $160. Iomega's seems like the better
>> deal. Why is the Maxtor so much more expensive? Is Maxtor that much
>> better?
>>
>> 2. I have a Dell 4100 running Windows 2000 pro on a 1 gig PIII. My USB
>> is
>> version 1.0. Would there be any critical reason to upgrade to version 2?
>>
>> regards
>>

> I have the same machine as your except I use WinXP Pro. I purchased an
> Adapter Dual USB2.0 and Firewire card and I use that with a Maxtor 250GB
> external drive. After testing it out doing some backups, I have
> determined that the Firewire is faster that the USB2.0. I know the
> specs say different but USB2.0 has more overhead in the data transfers.
> Anyway the Maxtor drive works just fine either thru USB or Firewire
> and I would highly recommend it.

I have a bunch of external drives now, with three laptops it makes it easy
to swap things around. I buy the cases and put my own drive in them, much
cheaper than buying a pre-packaged deal. However if you were to buy one or
the other you listed I'd say spend a bit more for the Maxtor as I've seen a
high enough failure rate in Iomega stuff with customers/clients at various
places I have worked for to not ever trust my data to any of their
products.