Sign in with
Your question

FTP Weirdness

Last response: in Windows 7
November 23, 2012 1:14:15 PM

User wants to connect to an FTP site, right clicks in My Computer, add network location, enters FTP address, untick 'annonumous' enters logon name, connects, enters password.

Sees FTP site, all good

Only it is the wrong set of folders

I do exactly the same thing, using exactly the same username/password, on exactly the same PC running the same (corporate) build going out through the same proxy and I see the right set of folders

both of us have the same address in explorer ( The Internet>ftp.x-y-z.com>) but see a different folder on connection.

Stumped

Thoughts?

More about : ftp weirdness

November 23, 2012 1:46:01 PM

permissions are different for each user?
m
l
November 23, 2012 2:49:50 PM

Logging on to FTP server with the same username / password combination in each case. Would the users local AD permisions make any difference there?
m
l
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
November 23, 2012 4:08:21 PM

stuart72 said:
Logging on to FTP server with the same username / password combination in each case. Would the users local AD permisions make any difference there?

Yes it can. Look up ftp isolating users with AD.
m
l
November 24, 2012 8:57:00 PM

unoriginal1 said:
Yes it can. Look up ftp isolating users with AD.

Does this still appy when logginh onto the remote FTP site with a user name/password rather than using windows authentication?
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
November 26, 2012 1:25:11 PM

stuart72 said:
Does this still appy when logginh onto the remote FTP site with a user name/password rather than using windows authentication?

Basic authentication is set up by default when using FTP, However; you can use digest authentication where it will use the AD credentials and automatically send them over encrypted. I believe that it auto enters those credentials and skips the need to use a username / password (could be way off here, not 100% as Ive never used it).

So it sounds like w/e ftp your trying to access is using basic authentication. I'd get in touch with the tech your trying to access and see what settings they have set up. You can use a lot of different things for security, IP, Trusted domains, etc.
m
l
!