Sign in with
Your question

Death of A64 chips

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
February 5, 2004 6:23:14 PM

Overclockers from around the world are killing A64 in large numbers. Some of the top guys have killed 5+ each.

<A HREF="http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&t..." target="_new">AMD 64 sudden death thread</A>

We are collecting data on the huge number of A64 deaths to determine all the causes.

This post is to collect data on the deaths and confirm cause. NF3 or vmem volts. There are also a few reported cases of no overclock deaths and deaths on unmodded boards.

You guys have no clue how many A64's it took to catch my EE let alone how many died trying.

<b>"You haven't proven anything that once 64-bit support comes out, it will perform even better." -EDEN</b>

More about : death a64 chips

February 5, 2004 6:28:17 PM

Man I wish I had money to piss away like that lol. I just read some of that thread and some guy killed 6 A64s with a modded chipset mobo rofl...
February 5, 2004 6:30:45 PM

Most of the deaths are attributed to extreme overclocks or above average overclocks related to high vdimm voltage. To be expected at this level of overclocking to loose a few chips. And with the A64 so popular at the moment lots of people are overclocking and then posting about their losses.

Just hope my 3200 lasts me a good year.

Athlon 64 3200 @ 2130mhz
2x256mb Twinmos 3200 @ 213mhz 2-3-3-6
MSI K8T
9700pro @ 384/360
Antec 1000AMG
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
February 5, 2004 7:16:44 PM

>There are also a few reported cases of no overclock deaths
>and deaths on unmodded boards.

Show me where. I only read things like:" Not even pushed except with 3.5v+ to the memory, ... I haven't even pushed high Vcore thru mine..1.79v max at 2400Mhz." etc. And fruitcakes that shorted their motherboard with solder and the like.

oh well, good news for AMD if there are lunatics like that, that enjoy frying 6 chips per day at $400 a piece. And if a cpu would die, without overclocking, overvolting, simply RMA it and get another one. I don't see the problem.

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my wife. =
February 5, 2004 7:33:01 PM

Quote:
And if a cpu would die, without overclocking, overvolting, simply RMA it and get another one. I don't see the problem.

...Except for the cost of downtime (which is a horrible thing for businesses) and the loss of trust?

I do believe that the <i>last</i> thing that AMD needs right now is to reaffirm the old myth that AMD products are unreliable. It sounds like a considerable problem to me <i>if</i> there is a noticable rate of failure amongst people who have not voided their warranties.

"Sad is the elephant upon the ice who went to put on his wooly coat only to realize that he left it in his other trunk." - DeEvolution
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
February 5, 2004 7:39:16 PM

Sure, sure, I agree. Thing is, I've not heard of or seen one cpu die without overclocking, overvolting, mb modding, etc (intel, or amd). It could happen, as with any product, after all thats why you have a warrantee, but fugger makes it sounds like A64's die by the dozens when running in spec, which is nonsense of course.

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my wife. =
February 5, 2004 8:59:57 PM

Thats true. It seems as if you select higher voltage to the ram from the bios the 3v rails skyrocket all of a sudden. Voltmods seems less dangerous.
February 5, 2004 9:04:16 PM

Fugger simply is a fanatic intel fanboy.
February 5, 2004 9:04:47 PM

intel still cutting u them fat "FUD" checks huh
February 5, 2004 10:01:11 PM

BB, they die by the half dozens apparently. and yes some without provocation, you are just incapable of reading a whole sentance without getting confused?

<b>"You haven't proven anything that once 64-bit support comes out, it will perform even better." -EDEN</b>
February 5, 2004 10:02:13 PM

Need a tissue?

February 5, 2004 10:12:57 PM

All you are doing is bumping this thread. Have someone teach you how to flame someone on topic. Your skills are weak and a waste of bandwidth.

February 5, 2004 10:22:39 PM

The guy is flaming this forum are you, with your compulsive Intel fanaticism. baaah poor guy.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by eugeneMC on 02/06/04 01:24 AM.</EM></FONT></P>
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
February 5, 2004 10:26:45 PM

I read the thread, and *nowhere* did I read someone managed to kill a A64 without overclocking/overvolting it. you're just fudding as usual.

It seems like indeed the A64 doesnt like to have near 4v on its vDimm line, big deal, play with fire, and you'll burn your fingers. Most of these guys where running vCore near 2v, the idiot that burnt 6 cpu's had it on 2.2 (!), and most if not all of them modded their PSU to have >3.3v for the DIMMS. Guess what, when you mod it 4v, it doesnt like it. Now take you fud elsewhere.

February 5, 2004 10:27:20 PM

Nice try yoda, These deaths are real and constant daily additions.

Nice to know I hit a sore spot with you, thanks for the bump.

February 5, 2004 10:40:30 PM

The real and daily thing is your stupidity. Is clear why these A64 died: crazy voltages. Fanatic trolls as you trying idiotics manipulation of reality and flaming, should be eliminated of all forums.
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
February 5, 2004 10:42:10 PM

> These deaths are real and constant daily additions.

They are real, achieved by real idiots with more money than common sense, that seem to enoy spending thousands of bucks to win 3 year old obsolete benchmarks. Those people should get a life btw.. but to each its own, but this is about as relevant as me claiming Suzuki's "die by the dozens" because my GSXR valves blew after I exagerated a little bit with the NOS injection..

February 5, 2004 10:42:13 PM

Shut...up FUGGER.

BTW: only an stupid idiotic n00b would write his name with capslock IMHO

Athlon 2700xp+ (oc: 3200xp+ with 200fsb) , Radeon 9800pro (oc: 410/370) , 512mb pc3200 (3-3-3-2), Asus A7N8X-X
February 5, 2004 10:56:51 PM

bump bump bump, bumpity bump.

Yep page 3 has reference to 1 that died by the hands of Bowman and PRanganathan. Do I gotta hold your hand all the time?

You are calling all the top AMD guys in the world idiots, ROFL Good show!

Look at all the AMD Fanboys chiming in with lame insults. Comon guys you can do better. Shooting the messager doesnt help.

February 5, 2004 10:58:38 PM

Fear, I use all caps.

Man what will you guys come up with next? spelling?

February 6, 2004 12:16:05 AM

Quote:
We are collecting data on the huge number of A64 deaths to determine all the causes.

This post is to collect data on the deaths and confirm cause. NF3 or vmem volts.

Ok, this post was for a pretty legitimate cause up to this point: get to the truth about Athlon64 cause-of-death.

Quote:
There are also a few reported cases of no overclock deaths and deaths on unmodded boards.

Mhmmm, right. Which ones now?

Quote:
Yep page 3 has reference to 1 that died by the hands of Bowman and PRanganathan. Do I gotta hold your hand all the time?

PRanganathan sez:

Quote:
When my VDDR was in "auto" my VDimm line never fluctated, always stayed very stable @ 3,17 Vdimm. It was only when I set it to 2,6 Vdimm that my volts started going out of control, upwards 3,78 VDimm which eventually killed the onboard controller on my CPU.

It seems that while the Motherboard can handle the volt spikings for a longer period of time being showing signs of wearing down, the CPU cannot because of mem controller being inside the CPU (which of course we all know ). So the only solution to this problem as of right now, as MickeyMouse stated, is to always leave your VDDR @ "auto" NEVER EVER CHANGE IT! If you need to change your Vdimm volts ALWAYS change it thru your Volt Mod and not through your Bios.

"no overclock deaths and deaths on unmodded boards" is of course misleading in this case. Clearly this fella found another way to screw up system voltages without necessarily having a defective CPU.

bowman sez:

Quote:
they all died from the chipset mod on the chaintech..i am sure..
it was running 2.2v all the time..i had forgot i had it that high...

it is directly tied to the hypertransport and mem controller..i havent had any trouble since i stoped using the chaintech.

Ok, you were apparently just flat-out wrong on that one. Looks like deliberate BS, especially as bowman pointed out his chaintech mod in his first post in that thread. I guess you didn't really want to get to the truth of this matter after all...

Quote:
You guys have no clue how many A64's it took to catch my EE let alone how many died trying.

That statement basically blows the legitimacy of this thread sky-high. Obviously this topic is just crap-flinging flamebait from a fanboyish sore loser. Apparently you get a massive inferiority complex just from losing top spot in a largely impractical competition over a largely outdated benchmark.

And FWIW, I don't remember ANY AMD fanboys giving Intel a bad rap for SNDS (Sudden Northwood Death Syndrome; check [H]Forums). You OCs your CPU, you takes your chances.

Quote:
Fear, I use all caps.

Fear, ALL-CAPS REALITY just struck your thread again. :lol: 

<i><Lionel Hutz> I'll be defending...The SCO Group!!!??? Even if I lose, I'll be famous!</i>
February 6, 2004 12:20:42 AM

heat have never kill any P4 for the last 2 year does there been more that 2 NW core death report here no.I dont even remember 1.

Just to show bad
February 6, 2004 12:33:04 AM

Quote:
heat have never kill any P4 for the last 2 year does there been more that 2 NW core death report here no.I dont even remember 1.

Heat, never (or almost never, anyways). Overvolting, yes.

See bubble. See bubble go <A HREF="http://tinyurl.com/yuls4" target="_new"> <b><font color=white>POP</font color=white></b></A><b>!</b>

I'd pull up the [H]Forums threads, but [H]Forums search engine is down right now.

<i><Lionel Hutz> I'll be defending...The SCO Group!!!??? Even if I lose, I'll be famous!</i>
February 6, 2004 1:43:01 AM

There have been a few reported cases of deaths on unmodded boards in threads and I am not digging through them all as if would make a difference in this thread anyway. right?

PRanganathan stated "Only thing I killed was the CPU, no mods were done to it." to get RMA.

Bowman mentioned he killed one with an unmodded board in a different thread, bias replied "1: I believe Bowman has" to the question but I do see where bowman corrected himself.

go ahead break each sentance out and give us a lame retort to each part on how I am wrong and a big finally with something real witty please, this thread needs a bump or two.

February 6, 2004 1:49:22 AM

I have never killed a P4 processor and I have been very abusive to them in my testing.

February 6, 2004 1:56:11 AM

wow you deserve a cookie

Athlon 2700xp+ (oc: 3200xp+ with 200fsb) , Radeon 9800pro (oc: 410/370) , 512mb pc3200 (3-3-3-2), Asus A7N8X-X
February 6, 2004 1:59:47 AM

strangely none been report yet only 1 from the inquirer and it affect only the L2 cache the chip still work.

Let say there were 10 in the whole P7 architecture that not much.

Just to show bad
February 6, 2004 2:14:25 AM

If you'd been around hardforums long enough, you'd know SNDS is very real.

Until hardforums gets its search feature back up, here's <A HREF="http://www.ocforums.com/vb/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadi..." target="_new">another bubble-burster</A> for you.

Get over it already. There's no shame in producing an electronic device that dies from overvolting--in fact, it's pretty much impossible not to. That's why no reasonable person ragged on Intel over SNDS.

<i><Lionel Hutz> I'll be defending...The SCO Group!!!??? Even if I lose, I'll be famous!</i><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by kelledin on 02/05/04 10:20 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
February 6, 2004 5:25:47 AM

You just lost every half bit of credibility you might have had:

>PRanganathan stated "Only thing I killed was the CPU, no
>mods were done to it." to get RMA.

Here is ths real story, I quote:

Quote:
MickeyMouse your idea worked perfectly, <b>only reason my CPU died was cause of my stupidity.</b>

I did the mod so perfectly, I was so proud of myself.

Set the VR 1.984K Ohm, booted in @ 3,17 Vdimm stable.

Then windows rebooted for some weird reason so I thought I would "fix" the problem by changing VDDR from "auto" to 2.6

ROFL did not help at all!!

<b>Next thing I know I'm reading the mosfet and its spiking upwards 3,78 and then randomly falling and flying up again</b> in a span of 5 seconds

Run along little troll

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my wife. =<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by P4Man on 02/06/04 02:27 AM.</EM></FONT></P>
February 6, 2004 5:44:06 AM

I think Kelledin's analysis of FUGGER's post is correct and judging from all responses, it succeeded in its purpose.

How can anyone take this seriously when it refers to the xtremesystems pages? It is not called xtreme for nothing.

The thing that got me wondering though is whether those peeps would be willing to fry 6 intelEE's in a row for $1100 a piece. I've seen some expensive hobbies around and indulged in one or two myself but this is really over the top. Thanks for the link though FUGGER because it is a fascinating read.

BigMac

<A HREF="http://www.p3int.com/product_center_NWO_The_Story.asp" target="_new">New World Order</A>
February 6, 2004 6:48:22 AM

It is a nice read. Kinda tees me off though that some of these guys are relying on the mobo makers and Amd to foot the bill. Nice to know where some of my hard earned is going though. I sure aint asking anyone else to pay for my bad.
February 6, 2004 7:23:42 AM

Ok more that i was thinking. still those chip work it just they dont overclock as much any more

Just to show bad
February 6, 2004 7:46:56 AM

The Joy Of FUGGER. If it's not Fugger, it's his Lackey Kanivit.

Well it seems that the problem is due to Modding the Voltages on the Motherboards. It also seems to be related to the on board memory controller. Their maybe exceptions...

Being a new platform, new motherboards etc etc, this seems like a reasonably price to pay for overclockers.

The price you pay and all that.
February 6, 2004 9:46:47 AM

Good news, gives me an excuse to buy even more A64's and FX chips. I don't mind burning up 2 cpu's and 3 videocards a day, just so people will respect me for my 3Dmark, (and if that doesnt work, I will just invent some scores), so who cares ?

And the price for all those cpu's and videocards may be insane for your penyybag, but others with a real budget can afford several of these highest performance processors per day. Can't afford to lose your one and only el cheapo P4 ? cry me a river, I don't care.

P4EE is now totally owned by the AFX and has no chance of beating it, ever. The EE is a dead horse,and I shot it. Can't afford the bullets ? Play a different game then.

I am severly limited in what my mind can perceive.
February 6, 2004 12:31:18 PM

Oh boy, what a pointless thread... :eek: 
February 6, 2004 12:47:58 PM

So this isnt a real problem? Only if you do stupid things with overclocking?

XP2000, 256ddr 2100ram, GF4 MX440, XP Pro
February 6, 2004 12:56:27 PM

What were you expecting from fugger? Something intelligent perhaps?

The thread is not pointless however. It's very entertaining. The only thing missing is SOD going of on one of his, um whatever you call them.

<b>wooooow <font color=red> Killer Klowns </font color=red> ... from <font color=blue>outer space</font color=blue>... HOLY SH¡T!</b>
February 6, 2004 1:52:51 PM

Only if you are do very stupid things, and/or very extreme overclocks. no different than any other processor, and better get used to it. as process sizes shrink, overclocking, and especially overvolting gets more and more dangerous. No such thing as a free lunch, or a guaranteed and safe 20+% overclock

February 6, 2004 6:39:02 PM

Its been out for 8 months now, so its not a new platform. The problem was just brought to your attention.

reasonable price to pay 6x $750 + + + + + downtime....

Add up those chips, they are expensive for the FX variety. Yep, the price you pay. G1

February 6, 2004 6:51:27 PM

clown
February 6, 2004 6:51:32 PM

MY NAME IS JEZAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AND I 0WN J00 CUS 1M 1337!!! P4 OWNS, MY P4 1.3g @ 4.5GhZ WILL OWN ANYTHING YOU HAVE, APART FROM ATHLON 64. THEY OWN US ALL, EVEN MY DAD AND I GET OWNED ALL THE TIME BY THEM. I WAS ABDUCTED BY ALIENS, AND THEY TOLD ME TO WATCH OUT FOR THE ATHLON 64 CUS IT WAS TOO OWNAGE AND VERY 1337, I GOT SCARED AND SOILED MYSELF, THEN RAN AWAY CALLING 'MUMMY!!!'.

SO THERE, I OWN YOU!!!!!!!! IN THE FACE!!!!!!!!!
February 6, 2004 7:18:55 PM

That makes you clown food.

I love you too.

February 6, 2004 7:22:12 PM

I think we got a winner here.

February 6, 2004 10:19:55 PM

funny how when presented with facts that blow your BS AMD bashing to [-peep-].... you dont respond to them

you will never be OPPAINTER or JCVIGGEN ... stop trying...they are respected....your not
February 7, 2004 12:05:25 AM

FUGGER!!!

<pre>dh grabs fugger's leg and pulls him towards wingding!</pre><p>
<font color=red>_________________________________________</font color=red>
<b><A HREF="http://kevan.org/brain.cgi?dhlucke" target="_new">Barbara Streisand Naked!!!</A></b>
February 7, 2004 1:41:56 AM

I just want to ask for some advise because I've seen some of the accomplishments of some of the posters here with overclocking. I'm planning on building an a64 rig and I wanted to know what you're honest opinion on ram choice would be for mild overclocking using the via 800 chipset..is the pc4200 such as the el stuff from ocz worth the cost or should I just buy some decent 3500? thanks in advance
February 7, 2004 2:36:40 AM

OCZ is great for high Mhz but you prob want fastest timings if you do not plan to overclock.

OCZ goes far on little voltage, something to consider.

February 7, 2004 3:06:16 AM

dhlucke did it again. Now everyone knows I want to see Barbara Streisand Naked. Like Barbarella wasn’t enough, its probably some transvestite Streisand anyways.

Dichromatic for your viewing plesure...
February 7, 2004 3:12:47 AM

JC and Opp are my friends and team mates.

I am not bashing AMD, more like you guys bashing me. You might want to re-read this thread to see where it all went wrong.

You need to grow up, you make fanboys look bad.

February 7, 2004 4:56:18 AM

You tell them Fugger! We must keep the Intel faith!

These fools trying to argue against the facts. The facts are, AMDs just die. It doesn't matter that if you read the whole conversation on that link you find out this is not true. They just die, alright. Accept the facts and how we misrepresent them.

I'm getting really sick of all you AMD fanboys and your lies! Next thing you know, you'll all try to convince us that Protected Execution and the virtual elimination of debilitating buffer overflow exploits is important or something. It isn't. We don't need such protection, for we have Intel chips! And Intel chips are so cool, as to be desireable over less expensive and faster chips that offer us that protection. If we really needed such a high end feature, we'd just go Itanium anyways. Everyone knows how high end it is!

Besides, our Prescotts run really hot, so we know that they must be good, because heat requires power to create that heat, and since Prescott runs hotter than Opteron, you just know there is more power there.

Sweet man. I'm glad I didn't go AMD.

<i>Never attribute to insult what you can to sarcasm.</i>
!