Death of A64 chips

FUGGER

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Overclockers from around the world are killing A64 in large numbers. Some of the top guys have killed 5+ each.

<A HREF="http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=26650" target="_new">AMD 64 sudden death thread</A>

We are collecting data on the huge number of A64 deaths to determine all the causes.

This post is to collect data on the deaths and confirm cause. NF3 or vmem volts. There are also a few reported cases of no overclock deaths and deaths on unmodded boards.

You guys have no clue how many A64's it took to catch my EE let alone how many died trying.

<b>"You haven't proven anything that once 64-bit support comes out, it will perform even better." -EDEN</b>

arussell

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2004
Man I wish I had money to piss away like that lol. I just read some of that thread and some guy killed 6 A64s with a modded chipset mobo rofl...

speeduk

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2003
Most of the deaths are attributed to extreme overclocks or above average overclocks related to high vdimm voltage. To be expected at this level of overclocking to loose a few chips. And with the A64 so popular at the moment lots of people are overclocking and then posting about their losses.

Just hope my 3200 lasts me a good year.

Athlon 64 3200 @ 2130mhz
2x256mb Twinmos 3200 @ 213mhz 2-3-3-6
MSI K8T
9700pro @ 384/360
Antec 1000AMG

G

>There are also a few reported cases of no overclock deaths
>and deaths on unmodded boards.

Show me where. I only read things like:" Not even pushed except with 3.5v+ to the memory, ... I haven't even pushed high Vcore thru mine..1.79v max at 2400Mhz." etc. And fruitcakes that shorted their motherboard with solder and the like.

oh well, good news for AMD if there are lunatics like that, that enjoy frying 6 chips per day at $400 a piece. And if a cpu would die, without overclocking, overvolting, simply RMA it and get another one. I don't see the problem.

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my wife. =

DeEvolution

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2004
And if a cpu would die, without overclocking, overvolting, simply RMA it and get another one. I don't see the problem.
...Except for the cost of downtime (which is a horrible thing for businesses) and the loss of trust?

I do believe that the <i>last</i> thing that AMD needs right now is to reaffirm the old myth that AMD products are unreliable. It sounds like a considerable problem to me <i>if</i> there is a noticable rate of failure amongst people who have not voided their warranties.

"Sad is the elephant upon the ice who went to put on his wooly coat only to realize that he left it in his other trunk." - DeEvolution

G

Sure, sure, I agree. Thing is, I've not heard of or seen one cpu die without overclocking, overvolting, mb modding, etc (intel, or amd). It could happen, as with any product, after all thats why you have a warrantee, but fugger makes it sounds like A64's die by the dozens when running in spec, which is nonsense of course.

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my wife. =

InkSpot

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2004
Thats true. It seems as if you select higher voltage to the ram from the bios the 3v rails skyrocket all of a sudden. Voltmods seems less dangerous.

FUGGER

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
BB, they die by the half dozens apparently. and yes some without provocation, you are just incapable of reading a whole sentance without getting confused?

<b>"You haven't proven anything that once 64-bit support comes out, it will perform even better." -EDEN</b>

FUGGER

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
All you are doing is bumping this thread. Have someone teach you how to flame someone on topic. Your skills are weak and a waste of bandwidth.

EugeneMc

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2003
The guy is flaming this forum are you, with your compulsive Intel fanaticism. baaah poor guy.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by eugeneMC on 02/06/04 01:24 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

G

I read the thread, and *nowhere* did I read someone managed to kill a A64 without overclocking/overvolting it. you're just fudding as usual.

It seems like indeed the A64 doesnt like to have near 4v on its vDimm line, big deal, play with fire, and you'll burn your fingers. Most of these guys where running vCore near 2v, the idiot that burnt 6 cpu's had it on 2.2 (!), and most if not all of them modded their PSU to have >3.3v for the DIMMS. Guess what, when you mod it 4v, it doesnt like it. Now take you fud elsewhere.

FUGGER

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Nice try yoda, These deaths are real and constant daily additions.

Nice to know I hit a sore spot with you, thanks for the bump.

EugeneMc

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2003
The real and daily thing is your stupidity. Is clear why these A64 died: crazy voltages. Fanatic trolls as you trying idiotics manipulation of reality and flaming, should be eliminated of all forums.

G

> These deaths are real and constant daily additions.

They are real, achieved by real idiots with more money than common sense, that seem to enoy spending thousands of bucks to win 3 year old obsolete benchmarks. Those people should get a life btw.. but to each its own, but this is about as relevant as me claiming Suzuki's "die by the dozens" because my GSXR valves blew after I exagerated a little bit with the NOS injection..

coylter

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2003
Shut...up FUGGER.

BTW: only an stupid idiotic n00b would write his name with capslock IMHO

Athlon 2700xp+ (oc: 3200xp+ with 200fsb) , Radeon 9800pro (oc: 410/370) , 512mb pc3200 (3-3-3-2), Asus A7N8X-X

FUGGER

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
bump bump bump, bumpity bump.

Yep page 3 has reference to 1 that died by the hands of Bowman and PRanganathan. Do I gotta hold your hand all the time?

You are calling all the top AMD guys in the world idiots, ROFL Good show!

Look at all the AMD Fanboys chiming in with lame insults. Comon guys you can do better. Shooting the messager doesnt help.

FUGGER

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Fear, I use all caps.

Man what will you guys come up with next? spelling?

Kelledin

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2001
We are collecting data on the huge number of A64 deaths to determine all the causes.

This post is to collect data on the deaths and confirm cause. NF3 or vmem volts.
Ok, this post was for a pretty legitimate cause up to this point: get to the truth about Athlon64 cause-of-death.

There are also a few reported cases of no overclock deaths and deaths on unmodded boards.
Mhmmm, right. Which ones now?

Yep page 3 has reference to 1 that died by the hands of Bowman and PRanganathan. Do I gotta hold your hand all the time?
PRanganathan sez:

When my VDDR was in "auto" my VDimm line never fluctated, always stayed very stable @ 3,17 Vdimm. It was only when I set it to 2,6 Vdimm that my volts started going out of control, upwards 3,78 VDimm which eventually killed the onboard controller on my CPU.

It seems that while the Motherboard can handle the volt spikings for a longer period of time being showing signs of wearing down, the CPU cannot because of mem controller being inside the CPU (which of course we all know ). So the only solution to this problem as of right now, as MickeyMouse stated, is to always leave your VDDR @ "auto" NEVER EVER CHANGE IT! If you need to change your Vdimm volts ALWAYS change it thru your Volt Mod and not through your Bios.
"no overclock deaths and deaths on unmodded boards" is of course misleading in this case. Clearly this fella found another way to screw up system voltages without necessarily having a defective CPU.

bowman sez:

they all died from the chipset mod on the chaintech..i am sure..
it was running 2.2v all the time..i had forgot i had it that high...

it is directly tied to the hypertransport and mem controller..i havent had any trouble since i stoped using the chaintech.
Ok, you were apparently just flat-out wrong on that one. Looks like deliberate BS, especially as bowman pointed out his chaintech mod in his first post in that thread. I guess you didn't really want to get to the truth of this matter after all...

You guys have no clue how many A64's it took to catch my EE let alone how many died trying.
That statement basically blows the legitimacy of this thread sky-high. Obviously this topic is just crap-flinging flamebait from a fanboyish sore loser. Apparently you get a massive inferiority complex just from losing top spot in a largely impractical competition over a largely outdated benchmark.

And FWIW, I don't remember ANY AMD fanboys giving Intel a bad rap for SNDS (Sudden Northwood Death Syndrome; check [H]Forums). You OCs your CPU, you takes your chances.

Fear, I use all caps.
Fear, ALL-CAPS REALITY just struck your thread again. :lol:

<i><Lionel Hutz> I'll be defending...The SCO Group!!!??? Even if I lose, I'll be famous!</i>

juin

Distinguished
May 19, 2001
heat have never kill any P4 for the last 2 year does there been more that 2 NW core death report here no.I dont even remember 1.

Just to show bad

Kelledin

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2001
heat have never kill any P4 for the last 2 year does there been more that 2 NW core death report here no.I dont even remember 1.
Heat, never (or almost never, anyways). Overvolting, yes.

See bubble. See bubble go <A HREF="http://tinyurl.com/yuls4" target="_new"> <b><font color=white>POP</font color=white></b></A><b>!</b>

I'd pull up the [H]Forums threads, but [H]Forums search engine is down right now.

<i><Lionel Hutz> I'll be defending...The SCO Group!!!??? Even if I lose, I'll be famous!</i>

FUGGER

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
There have been a few reported cases of deaths on unmodded boards in threads and I am not digging through them all as if would make a difference in this thread anyway. right?

PRanganathan stated "Only thing I killed was the CPU, no mods were done to it." to get RMA.

Bowman mentioned he killed one with an unmodded board in a different thread, bias replied "1: I believe Bowman has" to the question but I do see where bowman corrected himself.

go ahead break each sentance out and give us a lame retort to each part on how I am wrong and a big finally with something real witty please, this thread needs a bump or two.

FUGGER

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I have never killed a P4 processor and I have been very abusive to them in my testing.