Twain Problem

I am having a problem with my Windows XP SP2 system not recognizing
that Twain is installed. The scanner that I have installed in the
Epson 1260 Photo. The hardware manager sees the scanner and reports
that it is working correctly. MS Paint can see the scanner via the
built in XP Windows Image Acquisition (WIA) service, but no other
application can see the scanner.

Any one have any ideas as to what I can do to activate the twain
driver?
6 answers Last reply
More about twain problem

    go1 wrote:
    > I am having a problem with my Windows XP SP2 system not recognizing
    > that Twain is installed. The scanner that I have installed in the
    > Epson 1260 Photo. The hardware manager sees the scanner and reports
    > that it is working correctly. MS Paint can see the scanner via the
    > built in XP Windows Image Acquisition (WIA) service, but no other
    > application can see the scanner.
    >
    > Any one have any ideas as to what I can do to activate the twain
    > driver?

    Uninstall anything and everything to do with the scanner.
    Reboot.
    Download and install the drivers from here:
    http://snipurl.com/hkze

    --
    Shenan Stanley
    MS-MVP

    Been there done that. Still no joy.

    go1@go.com wrote:
    > Been there done that. Still no joy.
    >
    > On Sat, 10 Sep 2005 16:50:28 -0500, "Shenan Stanley"
    > <newshelper@gmail.com> wrote:
    >

    >>go1 wrote:
    >>
    >>>I am having a problem with my Windows XP SP2 system not recognizing
    >>>that Twain is installed. The scanner that I have installed in the
    >>>Epson 1260 Photo. The hardware manager sees the scanner and reports
    >>>that it is working correctly. MS Paint can see the scanner via the
    >>>built in XP Windows Image Acquisition (WIA) service, but no other
    >>>application can see the scanner.
    >>>
    >>>Any one have any ideas as to what I can do to activate the twain
    >>>driver?
    >>
    >>Uninstall anything and everything to do with the scanner.
    >>Reboot.
    >>Download and install the drivers from here:
    >>http://snipurl.com/hkze
    >>
    >>--
    >>Shenan Stanley
    >> MS-MVP

    After SP2 my HP Scanjet6200C will not scan. It scans fine in Win2000
    and Xandros BE. It _did_ scan with SP1 installed so as far as I can
    tell this is something that SP2 broke.

    BTW I also went through the hoops of obliterating reg entries after
    un-installing the HP drivers and then re-installed the drivers and
    softwar. No joy. So now I just keep one machine booted into a
    different OS to use the old scanner.

    TOF wrote:
    > After SP2 my HP Scanjet6200C will not scan. It scans fine in Win2000
    > and Xandros BE. It _did_ scan with SP1 installed so as far as I can
    > tell this is something that SP2 broke.
    >
    > BTW I also went through the hoops of obliterating reg entries after
    > un-installing the HP drivers and then re-installed the drivers and
    > softwar. No joy. So now I just keep one machine booted into a
    > different OS to use the old scanner.

    Seems a common issue with HP scanners in this family..
    Matter of fact - according to what I read - you are lucky it was working
    with SP1. heh

    Did you apply this patch?
    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?product=61254&os=228&lang=en&cc=uk&lc=en&dlc=en&softwareitem=sj-4448-1
    ( Shorter Link: http://snipurl.com/hlmt )

    This was gotten from the HP forums, along with the following:
    http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=118105

    _*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_
    ------
    Pablo Mena
    Apr 21, 2005 13:34:32 GMT
    ------
    Okay -- here's the steps I followed to get my 6200c working under XP Pro
    SP2:

    1. Go to
    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareList?dlc=en&tool=softwareCategory&lc=en&product=60120&lang=en&cc=uk&os=228
    ( Shorter Link: http://snipurl.com/hlmu )
    and download version 1.02 of the software driver (sj673en.exe), as well as
    version 1.0 of the USB Connectivity/Firmware update (sj630en.exe).

    2. Uninstall "Unknown device" from Universal Serial bus controllers in your
    Device Manager.

    3. Disconnect the scanner (both USB and power cord).

    4. Uninstall any previous PrecisionScan Pro software.

    5. Run sj673en.exe.

    6. Power down.

    7. Reconnect scanner.

    8. Power back on.

    9. XP will probably still list the scanner as an "Unkown device", so repeat
    steps 2 and 3.

    10. Run sj630en.exe.

    11. Repeat steps 6-8.

    12. XP should now see your scanner, but it'll ask you to install the
    drivers. Select the option for specifying the location, and choose the
    directory where sj673en.exe unpacked (probably c:/sj673). when XP asks you
    for the location of hpsjrreg.exe, point it to c:/windows/system32. This
    should complete the install.

    Hopefully, this solves the problem for some of you out there. Did for me.
    _*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_

    --
    Shenan Stanley
    MS-MVP

    Shenan Stanley wrote:
    > TOF wrote:
    >
    >>After SP2 my HP Scanjet6200C will not scan. It scans fine in Win2000
    >>and Xandros BE. It _did_ scan with SP1 installed so as far as I can
    >>tell this is something that SP2 broke.
    >>
    >>BTW I also went through the hoops of obliterating reg entries after
    >>un-installing the HP drivers and then re-installed the drivers and
    >>softwar. No joy. So now I just keep one machine booted into a
    >>different OS to use the old scanner.
    >

    > Seems a common issue with HP scanners in this family..
    > Matter of fact - according to what I read - you are lucky it was working
    > with SP1. heh
    >
    > Did you apply this patch?
    > http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?product=61254&os=228&lang=en&cc=uk&lc=en&dlc=en&softwareitem=sj-4448-1
    > ( Shorter Link: http://snipurl.com/hlmt )
    >

    > This was gotten from the HP forums, along with the following:
    > http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=118105
    >
    > _*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_
    > ------
    > Pablo Mena
    > Apr 21, 2005 13:34:32 GMT
    > ------
    > Okay -- here's the steps I followed to get my 6200c working under XP Pro
    > SP2:
    >
    > 1. Go to
    > http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareList?dlc=en&tool=softwareCategory&lc=en&product=60120&lang=en&cc=uk&os=228
    > ( Shorter Link: http://snipurl.com/hlmu )
    > and download version 1.02 of the software driver (sj673en.exe), as well as
    > version 1.0 of the USB Connectivity/Firmware update (sj630en.exe).
    >
    > 2. Uninstall "Unknown device" from Universal Serial bus controllers in your
    > Device Manager.
    >
    > 3. Disconnect the scanner (both USB and power cord).
    >
    > 4. Uninstall any previous PrecisionScan Pro software.
    >
    > 5. Run sj673en.exe.
    >
    > 6. Power down.
    >
    > 7. Reconnect scanner.
    >
    > 8. Power back on.
    >
    > 9. XP will probably still list the scanner as an "Unkown device", so repeat
    > steps 2 and 3.
    >
    > 10. Run sj630en.exe.
    >
    > 11. Repeat steps 6-8.
    >
    > 12. XP should now see your scanner, but it'll ask you to install the
    > drivers. Select the option for specifying the location, and choose the
    > directory where sj673en.exe unpacked (probably c:/sj673). when XP asks you
    > for the location of hpsjrreg.exe, point it to c:/windows/system32. This
    > should complete the install.
    >
    > Hopefully, this solves the problem for some of you out there. Did for me.
    > _*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_

    Thanks for your response. I had already done the rip/tear and
    re-install according to those directions. I have and had no problem with
    the scanner being recognized in XP and diagnostic tests in
    Scanners/Cameras for the HP Scanjet 6200C. All tests passed.

    But try to run a scan with the HP software and "no scanner detected" or
    words to that effect. Everything looks good but just won't work. Kind
    of a shame for that to happen.

    After I upgraded XP to SP2 Twain did work. However, when I had to re
    install Windows with SP2 the twain driver stopped working.

    The scanner does work in XP SP2, but only with those programs that use
    the Windows Image Acquisition (WIA) service eg Paint and Photoshop
    Elements 3.

    On Sun, 11 Sep 2005 17:42:53 -0500, TOF <usingthis2@yahoo.com> wrote:

    >go1@go.com wrote:
    >> Been there done that. Still no joy.
    >>
    >> On Sat, 10 Sep 2005 16:50:28 -0500, "Shenan Stanley"
    >> <newshelper@gmail.com> wrote:

    >>>Uninstall anything and everything to do with the scanner.
    >>>Reboot.
    >>>Download and install the drivers from here:
    >>>http://snipurl.com/hkze
    >>>
    >>>--
    >>>Shenan Stanley
    >>> MS-MVP
    >
    >After SP2 my HP Scanjet6200C will not scan. It scans fine in Win2000
    >and Xandros BE. It _did_ scan with SP1 installed so as far as I can
    >tell this is something that SP2 broke.
    >
    >BTW I also went through the hoops of obliterating reg entries after
    >un-installing the HP drivers and then re-installed the drivers and
    >softwar. No joy. So now I just keep one machine booted into a
    >different OS to use the old scanner.

Twain Scanners Windows XP