Does CPU run cooler if its not in a case?

Unseen

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2003
Wondering if the computer would run cooler if wasn't in a case at all. Could just fix all the parts together and lay on a table or something. I think that is the way they do it when they benchmark CPU. If it was left like that would it run cooler? Defintely would be easier to replace any parts too.

If does, I probably won't bother spending $$ on buying a case + case fans for the new computer I am hoping to put together some time in the future.

FireGenie

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2004
Of cause it does.
And of cause your PC will die before long, the open circumstance such as dust is the killer.Your health will be threatened because the electromagnetism.

redface

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2003
it will cooler if you have a big fan blowing directly at the motherboard. But then, the EMI can cause harm to your health. Also, moisture and dust will shorten your computer's life span.

Some good fans in the case will solve your cooling problem.

A fine day!

coylter

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2003
i have a project to build a computer sticked to a wall. You could see all the part on the wall that would be nice...

hoh and everything water cooled...

Athlon 2700xp+ (oc: 3200xp+ with 200fsb) , Radeon 9800pro (oc: 410/370) , 512mb pc3200 (3-3-3-2), Asus A7N8X-X

P4Man

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2004
I am not too sure honestly. No case will be 'better' (well, cooler) than a badly ventilated one, but a good case, with good case flow actually has caseflow, unlike a naked motherboard lying on the table.

Anyway, you definately want a case regardless. Otherwise you'll have problems with dust, noise (!) and you risk shorting out something whenever you move any part (accidentally or not). Just doesnt sound like a great idea to save a few $$ to me. Besides, the case almost comes free with the PSU (iow, a case+cpu is about as cheap as a psu alone)

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my wife. =

endyen

Splendid
You would have to put together some kind of brackets to hold the graphics card et el in place. Might be nice to see what the spiders and other bugs did. Rodents would be a pain, though not so bad as a dog, cat or small child. I'm thinking it isn't that great an idea.