Sign in with
Your question

423-pin to 478-pin CPU Socket Converter kit?

Last response: in CPUs
February 6, 2004 1:47:42 AM

Has anyone used this? I currently have a socket 423 and would like to update to a mb with socket 478, but was worried about spending the bucks for a 1.2 GHz upgrade. I stumbled upon this product and wondered if anyone has used it themselves. It would sure save me the money, but I need to make sure it's safe before I jump into it. I'm cautious and hate being the guniea pig :) 
February 6, 2004 8:32:09 AM

I've never heard of it - you got a link? personnally I'd say just find a second hand 478 P4. If you could find a 1.6Ghz Northwood 'A' P4, it would overclock past 2Ghz (they were renowned for usually hitting 2.4 :cool: ) and wouldn't cost you much either.

What's your budget? give a budget and list what parts you need and I (and others probably) can make some recommendations.

Don't forget you might have RDRAM at the moment, and a decent modern P4 boards use DDR RAM so you might need to upgrade your RAM as well as the mobo.

---
<font color=red>Those of you who think you know everything are annoying to those of us who do.</font color=red> :wink:
February 6, 2004 8:38:43 AM

Such a convertor would only work with Celerons, as your s423 board would only work with 400 MHz FSB. No convertor can magically increase this, so its not a good plan. A Celeron 2.6 will also hardly be an upgrade to a willamette. Anands tests revealed even a 2.6 Celeron is generally slower than a P4 1.8A.

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my wife. =
Related resources
February 6, 2004 8:56:54 AM

The impression I got was that he wants to use an existing CPU with a newer motherboard, not a newer CPU on his older mobo. That's why I suggested finding a cheap second hand S478 Northwood instead - you could probably find one for little more than the cost of said converter.

Agree with avoiding Celerys though. Awful chips.

---
<font color=red>Those of you who think you know everything are annoying to those of us who do.</font color=red> :wink:
February 6, 2004 9:43:27 AM

There some socket converter that was even able to have volt mod and Ht support on I850

Just to show bad
February 6, 2004 2:08:19 PM

Well my budget shouldnt exceed $100. I'ld love it if it could but I have a wife on my hands :D  Anyway, I saw the converters floating around EBay and Yahoo Auctions for around $20 which sent up a red flag, which is why I came to ask here. I usually dont trust products that are proprietary to EBay. So If I could update to a s478, I would need a new motherboard, new heatsink and fan, new CPU, but I already have spare RAM modules so thats all. I had considered overclocking a 1.3 - 1.7 Gig but that would be assuming I could get all my equipment for under $100. If I wait a month I would possibly have $150-200 to play with, but I've never been one to wait.

-----
I like chicken I like liver, meow mix meow mix please deliver.
a c 159 à CPUs
February 6, 2004 4:21:01 PM

Fry's had some leftover socket 423 p4 motherboards with sis 645 chipset for only $19.95 marked down. I beleive they were offering a socket converter with these boards. You might check their online website outpost.com. Otherwise, I would go with a newegg refurbished mobo and cpu. They occasionally have 1.8a p4's for only $79.95. Refurb boards start at about $27.
a b à CPUs
February 7, 2004 12:46:35 AM

Bullshit!

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
a b à CPUs
February 7, 2004 12:48:21 AM

There are adapters, and they do work with a lot of board and the Northwood "A" P4's. There was a 2.4A (common), 2.5A (less common), and 2.6A (less common). Tigerdirect was having a clearence on them not too long ago, they probably have some left.

"A" stands for Northwood with "400MHz" bus.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
!