High-end Desktop replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.

joedhiggins

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2007
I am purchasing a high end desktop replacement laptop, and I believe I have narrowed it down to two options. I am concidering the Sager NP8690, NP9280: 15 and 17 inch notebooks respectively. The first features a mobile i7, the second a desktop processor. I am curious if I will see a significant performance diference between the two processors, I have a 920 desktop box at the moment which performs quite up to my expectations, does the mobility processor take a big performance hit?

My second question concerns the GPUs. Between the Mobility 5870 and the GTX 285m, which has better overall performance, and if so is there a significant diference, the price is essentially a non-issue and the radeon is not available on the 17 inch option?

My final question: do aeither of these laptops have known cooling issues? Power consumption is not a problem, and the room they will be in never exceeds 70 degrees, but the partially enclosed desk may slightly inhibit airflow (there will be several inches of clearance for all side vents, but the laptop will be placed in an alcove of sorts, enclosed on 3 sides.

Status
Not open for further replies.