I compressed the drives on my computer and ever since it has been in a reboot
loop. I can sometimes get onto the computer for up to an hour, and sometimes
it reboots before its done rebooting. How can I fix this?

uncompress
peterk

"sipalittletea" <sipalittletea@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I compressed the drives on my computer and ever since it has been in a
>reboot
> loop. I can sometimes get onto the computer for up to an hour, and
> sometimes
> it reboots before its done rebooting. How can I fix this?

"sipalittletea" <sipalittletea@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I compressed the drives on my computer and ever since it has been in a reboot
>loop. I can sometimes get onto the computer for up to an hour, and sometimes
>it reboots before its done rebooting. How can I fix this?

When you do get the computer to boot up, open Control Panel - System -
Advanced and click on the Settings button in the Startup and Recovery
(bottom) section.

In the Startup and Recovery window if the checkbox for "automatically
restart" is selected then click on it to clear it, and then on Apply
and OK as needed to exit.

That should stop the reboot cycle. However you may get a "Blue Screen
Of Death" STOP error message instead. If so then the contents of the
STOP error message, including the STOP code, all 4 parameters, and any
file or module names mentioned will be a direct clue as to the
underlying cause of your problems. Post that information back here if
you need help with it.

Also right-click on My Computer and select Manage.
Expand the Event Viewer category (click on the + sign) and browse
through each of the 3 subcategories looking for red-flagged error
records whose date and time stamps correspond to your spontaneous
reboots. Post the error message information back here if you need
help with it.

Can you keep your computer running long enough to uncompress your
drives? Hard drive space is cheaper than dirt these days and there
is seldom any practical need to compress files.

Good luck

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP
On-Line Help Computer Service

http://aumha.org/alex.htm

thanks! very helpful.

i already changed the startup and recovery option, but it still will reboot.

however, i do now get a blue screen, so the next time it reboots, i'll post
the error message.

as for the flagged files, should i post them here? what should i do with them?

and because im a computer idiot, how do i decompress a drive?

thanks for all your help.

"Ron Martell" wrote:

> "sipalittletea" <sipalittletea@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >I compressed the drives on my computer and ever since it has been in a reboot
> >loop. I can sometimes get onto the computer for up to an hour, and sometimes
> >it reboots before its done rebooting. How can I fix this?
>
> When you do get the computer to boot up, open Control Panel - System -
> Advanced and click on the Settings button in the Startup and Recovery
> (bottom) section.
>
> In the Startup and Recovery window if the checkbox for "automatically
> restart" is selected then click on it to clear it, and then on Apply
> and OK as needed to exit.
>
> That should stop the reboot cycle. However you may get a "Blue Screen
> Of Death" STOP error message instead. If so then the contents of the
> STOP error message, including the STOP code, all 4 parameters, and any
> file or module names mentioned will be a direct clue as to the
> underlying cause of your problems. Post that information back here if
> you need help with it.
>
> Also right-click on My Computer and select Manage.
> Expand the Event Viewer category (click on the + sign) and browse
> through each of the 3 subcategories looking for red-flagged error
> records whose date and time stamps correspond to your spontaneous
> reboots. Post the error message information back here if you need
> help with it.
>
> Can you keep your computer running long enough to uncompress your
> drives? Hard drive space is cheaper than dirt these days and there
> is seldom any practical need to compress files.
>
> Good luck
>

> Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
> --
> Microsoft MVP
> On-Line Help Computer Service
> http://onlinehelp.bc.ca

> http://aumha.org/alex.htm

"sipalittletea" <sipalittletea@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>thanks! very helpful.
>
>i already changed the startup and recovery option, but it still will reboot.
>
>however, i do now get a blue screen, so the next time it reboots, i'll post
>the error message.
>
>as for the flagged files, should i post them here? what should i do with them?
>
>and because im a computer idiot, how do i decompress a drive?
>
>thanks for all your help.

Open a Command Prompt window (use Start - Run - CMD)

In the Command Prompt window enter the following two commands:

CD\
COMPACT /U /S