When I uncheck, "Read Only" and then go back into properties the box is
still checked "Read Only?

Thaanks

"bogey333" <ereilly@tampabay.rr.com> wrote in message
> When I uncheck, "Read Only" and then go back into properties the box is
> still checked "Read Only?
>
> Thaanks

Did you remember to check "apply" after taking the check mark out, and then
ok out?

Did you hit apply?

In news:%236Z5jhltFHA.2504@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl,
Jone Doe <fake@nowhere.org> typed:

> "bogey333" <ereilly@tampabay.rr.com> wrote in message
>> When I uncheck, "Read Only" and then go back into properties
>> the box
>> is still checked "Read Only?
>>
>> Thaanks
>>
> Did you remember to check "apply" after taking the check mark
> out,
> and then ok out?

That's not necessary, as can be ascertained by trying it. Just OK
is fine.

In general when you have a choice between "Apply" and "OK," the
difference between them is that "OK" applies the change you made
and keeps the dialog box open (so you can make other changes);
"OK" applies the change you made and closes the dialog box.

bogey333, where are you trying to make the change--a file or a
folder?

Please reply to the newsgroup

Oh sure, I did "Apply" and "OK"!

"mydogisalab" <mydogisalab@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Did you hit apply?
>
> "bogey333" wrote:
>
>> When I uncheck, "Read Only" and then go back into properties the box is
>> still checked "Read Only?
>>
>> Thaanks

The box doesn't have a "check" mark in it, it has a blue shading I don't
know if that's the same thing, BUT my backup program, Nero, still can't
access it!

> Oh sure, I did "Apply" and "OK"!
>
> "mydogisalab" <mydogisalab@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> Did you hit apply?
>>
>> "bogey333" wrote:
>>
>>> When I uncheck, "Read Only" and then go back into properties the box is
>>> still checked "Read Only?
>>>
>>> Thaanks

I'm trying to apply it to a folder.

"bogey333" <ereilly@tampabay.rr.com> wrote in message
> When I uncheck, "Read Only" and then go back into properties the box is
> still checked "Read Only?
>
> Thaanks

Hi,

You can't remove it on a folder, because it doesn't actually apply. That
attribute is ignored by the system on the directory level.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"bogey333" <ereilly@tampabay.rr.com> wrote in message
> When I uncheck, "Read Only" and then go back into properties the box is
> still checked "Read Only?
>
> Thaanks

Then you provided incorrect information for us to base a proper reply on.
And, what you followed up with was not correct either.

"it" is probably an open file. Has nothing to do with the file attributes.
Consider another backup program if you need "it" backed up. Am sure others
will provide examples of same.

> The box doesn't have a "check" mark in it, it has a blue shading I don't
> know if that's the same thing, BUT my backup program, Nero, still can't
> access it!
>
> "bogey333" <ereilly@tampabay.rr.com> wrote in message
> > Oh sure, I did "Apply" and "OK"!
> >
> > "mydogisalab" <mydogisalab@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >> Did you hit apply?

Nero is a great program and all, but it has flaws in it's backup system.