Repairing a scratch on a Dell flat panel

Hello! I unfortunately have gotten 2 small scratches on my Dell 17"
flat panel. Dell says they can't do anything to repair it... does
anyone know a way to fix it?

I was thinking that the solution used to repair scratches on DVDs and
CDs may work, but....

Any ideas?

Thanks!
-Todd
12 answers Last reply
More about repairing scratch dell flat panel

    Unfortunately, I thought this would be the answer...

    Thanks anyways!

    /looks over the Dell site at the 20" ultrasharps....

    once scratched there is little you can do to repair an lcd screen
    <googlegroup@mollystongue.com> wrote in message
    > Hello! I unfortunately have gotten 2 small scratches on my Dell 17"
    > flat panel. Dell says they can't do anything to repair it... does
    > anyone know a way to fix it?
    >
    > I was thinking that the solution used to repair scratches on DVDs and
    > CDs may work, but....
    >
    > Any ideas?
    >
    > Thanks!
    > -Todd

    It's just like BigJIm says. Moreover, the glass covering the LCD panel is
    mighty thin, so you're best off leaving it alone.

    Rocky

    "BigJIm" <woody10277@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > once scratched there is little you can do to repair an lcd screen
    > <googlegroup@mollystongue.com> wrote in message
    > > Hello! I unfortunately have gotten 2 small scratches on my Dell 17"
    > > flat panel. Dell says they can't do anything to repair it... does
    > > anyone know a way to fix it?
    > >
    > > I was thinking that the solution used to repair scratches on DVDs and
    > > CDs may work, but....
    > >
    > > Any ideas?
    > >
    > > Thanks!
    > > -Todd

    If I were in your situation, I would bring the monitor to a place that
    specializes in making repairs to fancy china (as in dinnerware). Choose a
    shop that people trust with their priceless family heirlooms. That's the
    kind of place that has the skills you need.

    Of course, you could also ask the manufacturer for advice.

    Rocky

    > Unfortunately, I thought this would be the answer...
    >
    > Thanks anyways!
    >
    > /looks over the Dell site at the 20" ultrasharps....

    On 27 May 2004 23:09:39 -0700
    in message <c8d176ed.0405272209.29c8cbe7@posting.google.com>
    googlegroup@mollystongue.com wrote:

    >Hello! I unfortunately have gotten 2 small scratches on my Dell 17"
    >flat panel. Dell says they can't do anything to repair it... does
    >anyone know a way to fix it?
    >
    >I was thinking that the solution used to repair scratches on DVDs and
    >CDs may work, but....

    Hi Todd

    Car windshield repair places use a clear epoxy of some sort to repair
    chipped windshields. Perhaps the same epoxy could be used on the
    monitor.

    Scribbles@invalid.com wrote:

    > On 27 May 2004 23:09:39 -0700
    > in message <c8d176ed.0405272209.29c8cbe7@posting.google.com>
    > googlegroup@mollystongue.com wrote:
    >
    > >Hello! I unfortunately have gotten 2 small scratches on my Dell 17"
    > >flat panel. Dell says they can't do anything to repair it... does
    > >anyone know a way to fix it?
    > >
    > >I was thinking that the solution used to repair scratches on DVDs and
    > >CDs may work, but....
    >
    > Hi Todd
    >
    > Car windshield repair places use a clear epoxy of some sort to repair
    > chipped windshields. Perhaps the same epoxy could be used on the
    > monitor.

    Most of those epoxies are too heavy (viscous) to fill a fine LCD scratch.

    Larry

    > > Car windshield repair places use a clear epoxy of some sort to repair
    > > chipped windshields. Perhaps the same epoxy could be used on the
    > > monitor.
    > Most of those epoxies are too heavy (viscous) to fill a fine LCD scratch.

    Jewellers rouge ?

    Perhaps the original poster can check the following link:

    http://www.cyberbrands.com/pub/scratchbgone.html

    It's a site selling stuff to repair scratches on eyeglasses, etc.

    Who knows? Maybe it'll help.

    --
    David Nimon
    dnimonREMOVE@##sympatico.ca
    "Lawrence Glasser" <lglasser@spamcop.net> wrote in message
    > Scribbles@invalid.com wrote:
    > >
    > > On 27 May 2004 23:09:39 -0700
    > > in message <c8d176ed.0405272209.29c8cbe7@posting.google.com>
    > > googlegroup@mollystongue.com wrote:
    > >
    > > >Hello! I unfortunately have gotten 2 small scratches on my Dell 17"
    > > >flat panel. Dell says they can't do anything to repair it... does
    > > >anyone know a way to fix it?
    > > >
    > > >I was thinking that the solution used to repair scratches on DVDs and
    > > >CDs may work, but....
    > >
    > > Hi Todd
    > >
    > > Car windshield repair places use a clear epoxy of some sort to repair
    > > chipped windshields. Perhaps the same epoxy could be used on the
    > > monitor.
    >
    > Most of those epoxies are too heavy (viscous) to fill a fine LCD scratch.
    >
    > Larry

    Novus plastic polish?

    It does wonders getting light scratches and marks out of plastic and glass,
    but I don't know if I'd go that far...

    You could also try putting a little bit of toothpaste on a clean cotton
    cloth and rubbing very... very lightly. If the scratches are light enough
    they may come out or at least lighten up, but I certainly wouldn't rub too
    long or hard.

    In article <c8d176ed.0405272209.29c8cbe7@posting.google.com>,
    googlegroup@mollystongue.com (googlegroup@mollystongue.com) says...

    > I was thinking that the solution used to repair scratches on DVDs and
    > CDs may work, but....

    Good bet. There is also a canopy cleaner used on helicopters and other
    aircraft that doesn't really do anything to the plastic, it just fills
    the scratches with a compound with a very similar index of refraction.
    That's your best bet.

    --
    http://home.teleport.com/~larryc

    "Larry Caldwell" <larryc@teleport.com> wrote in message
    > In article <c8d176ed.0405272209.29c8cbe7@posting.google.com>,
    > googlegroup@mollystongue.com (googlegroup@mollystongue.com) says...
    >
    > > I was thinking that the solution used to repair scratches on DVDs and
    > > CDs may work, but....
    >
    > Good bet. There is also a canopy cleaner used on helicopters and other
    > aircraft that doesn't really do anything to the plastic, it just fills
    > the scratches with a compound with a very similar index of refraction.
    > That's your best bet.
    >
    > --
    > http://home.teleport.com/~larryc

    The problem with all of these well intended ideas is that the surface of the
    plastic front screen
    (yes, plastic, not glass) has a "regular roughening" on it for purposes of
    glare reduction. All of the
    polishing methods may "smooth out" the scratch, but will also smooth out the
    glare reduction
    treatment wherever it is rubbed, resulting in a worse situation than before.

    That surface is an integral part of the panel assembly, and could only be
    replaced by someone
    skilled in (and authorized for) panel repair - that's why the answer from
    Dell. The panel could
    be replaced, but the aftermarket cost of that is likely more than the
    monitor originally cost.

    Sorry,
    NGA

    >Hello! I unfortunately have gotten 2 small scratches on my Dell 17"
    >flat panel.

    Before you try any of these expensive or labor intensive ideas, try this.

    Armour All that old car dashboard spray. Put a small amount in a bottle cap and
    get the smallest artist brush you have. Try to fill the scratch with out
    touching the rest of the screen. After a couple of hours, buff gently with a
    soft cloth.

    If it doesn't work and you get a smudge on the screen no big deal. Armour All
    will disapear after a couple of weeks. If it does work, you repeat the process
    every two or three weeks.

    "Anything that doesn't kill you,,,,,,,just hurts a hell of a lot" JLP20

Dell Computers