Solved

Should I replace Windows 7 with XP on new Laptop?

Hey everyone, here's the question:

With 4GB RAM on a new computer, what OS will give me the best performance, Window 7 or my trusted XP?

Background:
So I'm pretty much decided on a new laptop (Toshiba L500-1XC) Intel Core i3-330M 2.13GHz, 4GB RAM. It comes with either Window 7 32-bit or 64-bit and I've heard & read that 4GB RAM is the minimum for Window 7 to run smoothly.

But my current XP computer runs great on 3GB RAM so I'm thinking why waste the extra RAM just on the OS?

If I go for Window 7, should I use the 32 or 64 bit version?

Cheers,

Matthew
8 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about should replace windows laptop
  1. 2G RAM and Win7 will run smooth, and after years of XP I went to 7 and for the most part I really am happy with it, I am using x86 Ultimate, and don't really see any need for me to go to 64bit, there are a few of my old programs that don't like 7, but the compatability mode fixed that, mostly just getting used to a different OS was the biggest problem(where they put things)
  2. I'm running Windows 7 on a laptop with 1GB of memory. It's not a speed demon, but it runs perfectly well.

If you have 4GB in your machine you'll need the 64-bit version of Windows 7 to take full advantage of it. The 32-bit version won't be able to use the entire 4GB because of the way the video hardware uses some of the memory space.
  3. Your laptop will run great with Win7, i put it on my dads laptop with 2GB of ram, and some lower end core 2 duo and it runs fantastic (considering he had Vista on there before -.-)
  4. Thanks to everyone who's replied.

So it sounds like Window 7 will run sweet on me new laptop but does that mean the laptop will be faster/slower than running XP? I mean for things like boot up time, time to open applications, overall capacity for multi-tasking etc...?
  5. Best answer
    Any new OS will seem fast at first just because a fresh install puts all of the files together in a nice contiguous state, so depending on how old and disorganized your existing system is you may see a noticeable improvement. But my take is that overall there's not a huge difference between XP and Win7 in terms of performance.

If performance is your top priority then you'll get a far bigger boost by going to an SSD (Solid State Drive) than by going to Windows 7.
  6. Cool thanks.
  7. Best answer selected by matthew123.
  8. Windows-7 will run just as well as XP with the same resources, if not better. I would keep windows-7, and 64 bit if you have no problem with 64 bit. If you replace the hard drive with a SSD, you will want windows-7 to get the trim support. I just did the SSD swap on a new laptop, and the result is magical. I highly recommend a SSD if you can meet your capacity needs. Windows-7 will take about 14gb.
Ask a new question

Read More

Laptops Windows XP RAM Computers Windows 7