Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

How to access damaged NTFS partition

Last response: in Windows XP
Share
Anonymous
September 10, 2005 8:29:01 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Hi i had one NTFS partition on my second hard drive which is corrupted or
damaged now. 'In ACRONIS DISK DIRECTOR' it says:
FILE TYPE - FS NONE PARTITION - 0x7 (NTFS, HPFS)
I can't access this partion i only need data from this partition, i don't
care anything else this hard drive used to be my active partition but not any
more. My active parttion is now on new hard drive.
So how can i save data from this damaged partition, any other way or any
tool i can try i've already tried TestDRIVE but it didn't work.
Anonymous
September 11, 2005 12:18:26 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Hi,

The more you mess with it, the lower your chances of successful recovery of
data. Stop, and take it to a technician if the data is that critical.

--
Best of Luck,

Rick Rogers, aka "Nutcase" - Microsoft MVP
http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Associate Expert - WindowsXP Expert Zone
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Jatinder" <Jatinder@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:397D5FBA-FA59-44E4-9B6E-0DE589BFF534@microsoft.com...
> Hi i had one NTFS partition on my second hard drive which is corrupted or
> damaged now. 'In ACRONIS DISK DIRECTOR' it says:
> FILE TYPE - FS NONE PARTITION - 0x7 (NTFS, HPFS)
> I can't access this partion i only need data from this partition, i don't
> care anything else this hard drive used to be my active partition but not
> any
> more. My active parttion is now on new hard drive.
> So how can i save data from this damaged partition, any other way or any
> tool i can try i've already tried TestDRIVE but it didn't work.
>
Anonymous
September 11, 2005 2:14:48 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

"Jatinder" <Jatinder@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:397D5FBA-FA59-44E4-9B6E-0DE589BFF534@microsoft.com...
> Hi i had one NTFS partition on my second hard drive which is corrupted or
> damaged now. 'In ACRONIS DISK DIRECTOR' it says:
> FILE TYPE - FS NONE PARTITION - 0x7 (NTFS, HPFS)
> I can't access this partion i only need data from this partition, i don't
> care anything else this hard drive used to be my active partition but not
any
> more. My active parttion is now on new hard drive.
> So how can i save data from this damaged partition, any other way or any
> tool i can try i've already tried TestDRIVE but it didn't work.
>

The usual method is to restore your important files from
the independent medium that you use for backing up your
files on a weekly basis.

An alternative is to boot the machine with a Win98 boot
disk (www.bootdisk.com), then run ntfsdos.exe
(www.sysinternals.com) do see what files and/or folders
you can see. If you can access your files in this way then
you may have to borrow a hard disk, install it as a slave,
create & format a FAT32 partition in order to create
space to park your important files and folders. Note
that you will see short file names only.
Related resources
Anonymous
September 11, 2005 2:14:49 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Hi data is not that critical.
I already have two hard drives.
This problem is on slave hard drive. And on my master hard drive i have XP
Pro and W2K3 already running.
Can i make a new FAT32 partition along with XP and W2K3 on my master hard
drive and then set it as slave. Or i need full new harddrive of FAT32?
Second before i run win98 bootdisk, should this damaged partition harddrive
set as master or just as it is.

"Pegasus (MVP)" wrote:

>
> "Jatinder" <Jatinder@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:397D5FBA-FA59-44E4-9B6E-0DE589BFF534@microsoft.com...
> > Hi i had one NTFS partition on my second hard drive which is corrupted or
> > damaged now. 'In ACRONIS DISK DIRECTOR' it says:
> > FILE TYPE - FS NONE PARTITION - 0x7 (NTFS, HPFS)
> > I can't access this partion i only need data from this partition, i don't
> > care anything else this hard drive used to be my active partition but not
> any
> > more. My active parttion is now on new hard drive.
> > So how can i save data from this damaged partition, any other way or any
> > tool i can try i've already tried TestDRIVE but it didn't work.
> >
>
> The usual method is to restore your important files from
> the independent medium that you use for backing up your
> files on a weekly basis.
>
> An alternative is to boot the machine with a Win98 boot
> disk (www.bootdisk.com), then run ntfsdos.exe
> (www.sysinternals.com) do see what files and/or folders
> you can see. If you can access your files in this way then
> you may have to borrow a hard disk, install it as a slave,
> create & format a FAT32 partition in order to create
> space to park your important files and folders. Note
> that you will see short file names only.
>
>
>
Anonymous
September 11, 2005 4:26:33 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

"Jatinder" <Jatinder@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:397D5FBA-FA59-44E4-9B6E-0DE589BFF534@microsoft.com...
> Hi i had one NTFS partition on my second hard drive which is corrupted or
> damaged now. 'In ACRONIS DISK DIRECTOR' it says:
> FILE TYPE - FS NONE PARTITION - 0x7 (NTFS, HPFS)
> I can't access this partion i only need data from this partition, i don't
> care anything else this hard drive used to be my active partition but not
> any
> more. My active parttion is now on new hard drive.
> So how can i save data from this damaged partition, any other way or any
> tool i can try i've already tried TestDRIVE but it didn't work.
>

You may want to check out SpinRite at: http://grc.com/spinrite.htm

Don
Anonymous
September 11, 2005 5:34:55 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

It does not matter in the least where your FAT32 partition is,
as long as you have one. However, before creating it you
should really find out if ntfsdos.exe is capable of showing
you any files on the damaged partition, and if they are
accessible.


"Jatinder" <Jatinder@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:5986DFA3-208E-492B-A988-26A4CC6BD371@microsoft.com...
> Hi data is not that critical.
> I already have two hard drives.
> This problem is on slave hard drive. And on my master hard drive i have XP
> Pro and W2K3 already running.
> Can i make a new FAT32 partition along with XP and W2K3 on my master hard
> drive and then set it as slave. Or i need full new harddrive of FAT32?
> Second before i run win98 bootdisk, should this damaged partition
harddrive
> set as master or just as it is.
>
> "Pegasus (MVP)" wrote:
>
> >
> > "Jatinder" <Jatinder@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > news:397D5FBA-FA59-44E4-9B6E-0DE589BFF534@microsoft.com...
> > > Hi i had one NTFS partition on my second hard drive which is corrupted
or
> > > damaged now. 'In ACRONIS DISK DIRECTOR' it says:
> > > FILE TYPE - FS NONE PARTITION - 0x7 (NTFS, HPFS)
> > > I can't access this partion i only need data from this partition, i
don't
> > > care anything else this hard drive used to be my active partition but
not
> > any
> > > more. My active parttion is now on new hard drive.
> > > So how can i save data from this damaged partition, any other way or
any
> > > tool i can try i've already tried TestDRIVE but it didn't work.
> > >
> >
> > The usual method is to restore your important files from
> > the independent medium that you use for backing up your
> > files on a weekly basis.
> >
> > An alternative is to boot the machine with a Win98 boot
> > disk (www.bootdisk.com), then run ntfsdos.exe
> > (www.sysinternals.com) do see what files and/or folders
> > you can see. If you can access your files in this way then
> > you may have to borrow a hard disk, install it as a slave,
> > create & format a FAT32 partition in order to create
> > space to park your important files and folders. Note
> > that you will see short file names only.
> >
> >
> >
August 5, 2009 2:21:21 PM

I am seeing this issue with Windows Server 2003 Ent R2 SP2. The main partition has been aligned at creation with Server 2008 repair console. I figure it's an Acronis bug.

Using version 8353 of TrueImage Server.
!