Rob423

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2002
OK i got somewhat of a problem... This guy asks my cousin if he can setup a LAN. Basically this guy bought a store, and is openeing up a Place for kids to go and play Games on the LAN and MAYBE online...He wants CS!!!! (my cousin didn't let me know what other games, but DEFF CS)
We have to do everything, the cableing, everything... he's going CAT5 setup, i think he's bringing in the Business Road Runner Line, which is like 3mb. we have to build a SERVER to play all this stuff... and we have to build 21 PC's... he wants the cases to have LED CS fan grills the works........ any help putting together a lan for this deal would be absolutely appreciated... as far as Routers, switches? what brand/models, we have like a 30K spending limit............this is not a joke, please respond back to me, thank you also help for a Server, and maybe ideas for a decent PC to run this........ we wanna go with AMD setup and maybe gf5950's for the PC's........not sure on the server, maybe Dual opterons.......... please any help thank you.

Asus A7N8X Deluxe
80gb Maxtor
200gb WD 8mb cache..
Lian-Li PC-60
Lite-On 52X
AMD XP2800+
LeadTek GeForce 4 Ti4200 w/vivo 128mb 8x
Hitachi CML174
1 GB Corsair XMS PC3200 Cas2

Asante makes some very good switches. Not sure on the model, but you can pick up a 24-port Gigabit switch for somewhere in the $500 - $600 dollar range, I'm sure. Hell, it's even web-managed.

<font color=red> If you design software that is fool-proof, only a fool will want to use it. </font color=red>

Rob423

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2002
thanks like i said any help is appreciated. This guy wants really Modd'd up PC cases, he wants like some stylish stuff...

Asus A7N8X Deluxe
80gb Maxtor
200gb WD 8mb cache..
Lian-Li PC-60
Lite-On 52X
AMD XP2800+
Hitachi CML174

Kelledin

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2001
Yikes...shame I'm not in your area. Otherwise I'd come and give you a hand myself.

For your network cabling:

If you're just running cable in one room...easy enough. Just use plastic tie-anchors along the walls or, better yet, wall-mounted raceways (i.e. <A HREF="http://www.wiremold.com/" target="_new">Wiremold</A>).

If you're planning to wire your network across multiple rooms, then you should consider setting up a wiring closet or some other wiring center somewhere. The best thing would probably be small wall-mounted 19" racks holding cheap generic patch panels and possibly a shelf or two, then be prepared to do some attic crawling to drop Cat6 cable down within walls. Be sure you know something of the building and electrical codes in your area, i.e. whether you need stuff like grounded metal conduit or firestop material in your walls.

Power lines: BIG deal. Most household power setups would absolutely not be able to handle 20-odd modern PCs across the whole house, much less within one room. Some office buildings would be able to handle it, but check the capacity of your power lines and set up localized circuit breakers for groups of PCs.

I would budget about $500 in parts to wire one room for Ethernet across 20-odd workstations, assuming you know someone who already has the tools (RJ45 crimper, jacket stripper, diagonal cutters, and perhaps a simple ethernet tester). Wiring an entire building for Ethernet would cost quite a bit more, depending largely on the size of the building and the number of telecom outlets per room.

Also, you definitely DON'T need Gigabit running to every PC. 100baseTX is plenty for network gaming clients. The server may need a Gigabit connection tho, since it's going to be serving a lot of clients.

As for PCs...hm. You probably won't be able to get top-of-the-line systems on that budget. I would suggest systems much like the one in your sig--but without the 200GB hard drive, with DVD-ROMs, and with only half the RAM. Maybe a beefier vidcard, like a Radeon 9700 or the like. Don't forget software licensing, either; you don't want every station running off a single home-use license key if the BSA ever comes knocking...

<i><Lionel Hutz> I'll be defending...The SCO Group!!!??? Even if I lose, I'll be famous!</i>

P4Man

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2004
Kelledin posted some good advice, but frankly, if you're not confident doing it yourselve, ask someone to help. there is only so much we can type here, and it would leave room for hundreds of screw-ups. And just to point out one thing, we can't really recommend a network topology if we don't have the floorplan..

One thing though.. with 21 PC's playing online, you need some serious upload bandwith. I don't know the US lines, but here, cable or ADSL (4Mb) is limited to 128kb upload. Thats enough for one PC, but definately not for 21 rigs playing counterstrike.

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my wife. =

Rob423

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2002
Thanks a bunch, Road Runner Server has a 5mb line with like 768kupload......... this is gonna be just on a LAN based operation........ this place won't be going out to other buildings to play people, it's just a Lounge this guy is openeing up for kids to come and play games with others on the same lan.......

so far what i got is.......

Asus a7n8x (onboard NIC and Audio) its good enough i have the same board.

samsung Cd-ROM 52x ------

HD = some 40GB hd... won't need nothing big..... just be loading OS and a few games.

xp2400+ retail

X Dreamer II case and probley adding a NEON inside (guy wanted something stylish)

Crucial 512mb
generic Floppy

17" CRT ..... not sure on which model/brand, maybe nec or viewsonic... budget is atstake.

Juster Mp-020 Headsets

-------------------------------------------

when we load CS on this machine....... do we need steam also? i never played CS on a lan...... what are some things that mite help?

also.....Im not positive but i don't think we gotta load anything more then CS on these machine, the guy said anything else he will do himself. Also what do we load on the Server, where do we get like Admin, CS maps and all that stuff........ do you know what i mean?

also would 2000 be a good OS? cause my cousin is worried about kids trying to F*(CK up this guys operation, he said 2000 has good network login features... xp is kinda HI for 21 rigs all those licenses and stuff

please anything else would help. thanks a bunch..

Asus A7N8X Deluxe
80gb Maxtor
200gb WD 8mb cache..
Lian-Li PC-60
Lite-On 52X
AMD XP2800+
Hitachi CML174

Rob423

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2002
This is gonna be in one room... this guy is opening up a Store and wants to make like a Gaming center for kids... 21 pc lan with CS.

Asus A7N8X Deluxe
80gb Maxtor
200gb WD 8mb cache..
Lian-Li PC-60
Lite-On 52X
AMD XP2800+
Hitachi CML174

andyb

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2003
when we load CS on this machine....... do we need steam also? i never played CS on a lan...... what are some things that mite help?

also.....Im not positive but i don't think we gotta load anything more then CS on these machine, the guy said anything else he will do himself. Also what do we load on the Server, where do we get like Admin, CS maps and all that stuff........ do you know what i mean?

also would 2000 be a good OS? cause my cousin is worried about kids trying to F*(CK up this guys operation, he said 2000 has good network login features... xp is kinda HI for 21 rigs all those licenses and stuff
-----------------------------------------------------------

You'l need steam if you want to play the latest version BUT u need a internet connection to be able to play on LAN (becuase you need to login to the steam network)(unless you use CS 1.5) but then you'l need to install HL as well and that will cost alot with 21 different CD keys!!!

You can get CS stuff (maps) from www.cs-maps.jolt.co.uk , not sure were you can get admin tools but you probably be able to get them easilly if you search for it on google or something. Oh yea another good website for CS stuff is www.csnation.net has every thing.

As for windows 2000 i would probably recomend it as like you said thats alot of money on licenses.

My system:
AMD Athlon Barton 3000xp+
ATI Radeon Hercules 9800pro 128mb
WD 120gb 7,200rpm 8mb cache.
512mb twinmos pc3200
ASUS a7v8x-x Mobo.

Rob423

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2002
Ok cool thanks alot.....If anything i would recommned this guy using Steam anyway right? cause 1.6 is good.... So on all the pc's i would still have to buy a copy of Halflife/CounterStrike correct? or NO. I can just Download that Steam File that's like close to 400MB and that's it?

Asus A7N8X Deluxe
80gb Maxtor
200gb WD 8mb cache..
Lian-Li PC-60
Lite-On 52X
AMD XP2800+
Hitachi CML174

andyb

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2003
Yea just download steam 1.6 and thats ALL you need no Half life game is required.

My system:
512mb twinmos pc3200
ASUS a7v8x-x Mobo.

Rob423

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2002
well you would have to get CD keys .... do you know any place that just gives licenses?

Asus A7N8X Deluxe
80gb Maxtor
200gb WD 8mb cache..
Lian-Li PC-60
Lite-On 52X
AMD XP2800+
Hitachi CML174

Rob423

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2002
this might be a dumb question but... Can one server be able to RUN more then one game.... or allow more then one game played on your lan... (not at the same time) but say on your LAN you don't wanna play CS anymore everyone wants to play say NFS underground...... Can the same server be able to do this?.... also when you load say Counter Strike on the server.... What do you do differently to make it switch maps or whatever and all that stuff..

Asus A7N8X Deluxe
80gb Maxtor
200gb WD 8mb cache..
Lian-Li PC-60
Lite-On 52X
AMD XP2800+
Hitachi CML174

andyb

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2003
well you would have to get CD keys
------------------------------------------------------------

you dont need a CD key for Steam.

My system:
512mb twinmos pc3200
ASUS a7v8x-x Mobo.

Rob423

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2002
right, so that means if this guy get the internet connection i can JUST load steam to be able to get the lan to work? cause i thought when you load steam and then install counterstrike it asks for the counterstrike CDKEY.............anyway, my question i have to find out it............... Can 1 server be able to host/run different games from.. (not at the same time) but when the LAN is tired of one game, be able to just click on another game and be able to just play right up? Or you need a Server for each game?

Asus A7N8X Deluxe
80gb Maxtor
200gb WD 8mb cache..
Lian-Li PC-60
Lite-On 52X
AMD XP2800+
Hitachi CML174