CPU Temperature.

gadders

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2004
Hi,

I bought my system last October and it was suffering with some temperature issues. I have an AMD XP 3000+. It was sitting idle at 70 degrees. I bought a coolermaster Aero 7 and this dropped the temp by nearly 20 degrees to 51 degrees. I was happyish with that. I've now put in a Radeon 9800XT and my CPU temp is idling at 60 degrees now.

Any suggestions of how to reduce my temps? I currently have a rubbish case which i think cost £20. I was looking at the Thermaltake Xaser III V2000+ Super Tower. Is this a good choice. Also should I stick to my current cooler (coolermaster Aero 7). Do PSUs make a difference?

Oh also im currently using PC3200 memory with my AMD 3000+. My local retailer said that the memory and CPU are mis matched and this will slow my system, he said I need to upgrade to a AMD 3200+. Is this true? Is there much difference between a 3000+ and a 3200+?

Sorry for so many questions!!!

redface

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2003
your local retailer is ripping you off!
The only difference between 3000+ and 3200+ are a meager 100mhz in CPU clock and 333FSB vs 400FSB. Which is not really that much of a performance difference.

And a XP3200+ cost more than an Athlon64 3000+ !!!

A fine day!

P4Man

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2004
>Any suggestions of how to reduce my temps?

Case fans! If adding a Radeon increases you cpu temps by that ammount, you're not having enough airflow through your case, the heat from cpu+gpu builds up inside, and no CPU cooler can really properly cool your chip if the ambient air is too hot.

> I was looking at the Thermaltake Xaser III V2000+ Super
> Tower

My brother has it. I think its dead ugly, but to each its own :) Its big, spacious, room for plenty of fans/disks/ect. Beware though, the fan regulator that comes with it (optional ?) is (according to my bro) underrated for any serious fans. Don't use them for high powered fans, it will blow.

>Do PSUs make a difference?

Yes, definately. If you don't have one with a airintake directed to the bottom of your case and with two fans, I highly recommend getting one. It makes a big difference in case flow/temps. Remember, heat rises, so the warmest air is in the top of your case, where your PSU sits. If the PSU only adds heat, instead of helping getting it out, that is no good.

> My local retailer said that the memory and CPU are mis
>matched and this will slow my system, he said I need to
>upgrade to a AMD 3200+. Is this true ?

No. Your ram is faster than your cpu requires, but that never hurt anyone. Its definately not holding your system back. A 3200+ is not faster over a 3000+ than its rating would indicate, so hardly worth the money or trouble. Spend the money on a nice case and good PSU instead. If you have some left, a faster harddisk will make much noticeable difference (unless you already have a raptor stripe setup of course :).

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my wife. =

TRENDING THREADS