Closed

Is intel core i5 processor better than intel core2duo processor?

Hello,
i'm going to buy a new laptop but confused to buy a laptop with which processor?...
i.m doing engineering in computer sciences and for my needs which processor will be much better?
1.core2duo
2.corei3
3.corei5
cost doesn't matters....
8 answers Last reply
More about intel core processor intel core2duo processor
  1. Passmark CPU benchmark scores

    Pentium C2D T4400 @ 2.20GHz = 1549
    Core2 Duo P9600 @ 2.53GHz = 1592
    Core2 Duo P8800 @ 2.66GHz = 1891
    Core i3 M 330 @ 2.13GHz = 2016
    Core i3 M 350 @ 2.27GHz = 2058
    Core2 Duo P9700 @ 2.80GHz = 2129
    Core2 Duo T9900 @ 3.06GHz = 2310
    Core i5 M 430 @ 2.27GHz = 2395
    Core i5 M 520 @ 2.40GHz = 2432
    Core i5 M 540 @ 2.53GHz = 2463
    Core i7 720QM @ 1.60GHz = 3229
    Core i7 820QM @ 1.73GHz = 3535
  2. Which means: Core i5>i3>C2D :)
  3. But how can the i7 be better when the speed is only 1.73 GHz as opposed to the core 2 duo t9900 with 3.06 GHz. Is there another factor which drives processor speed?
  4. Quote:
    Hello,
    i'm going to buy a new laptop but confused to buy a laptop with which processor?...
    i.m doing engineering in computer sciences and for my needs which processor will be much better?
    1.core2duo
    2.corei3
    3.corei5
    cost doesn't matters....


    Hi there,

    The i5 processor is the most powerful of the choices that you presented. As for which one will be better for your major, it depends on what programs you will be using. Since your major is computer science you will probably want to look at at an i3 or an i5. Check out this guide on processor power and speed from PC Scout:http://www.microsoft.com/Windows/pc-scout/laptop-speed-facts.aspx.

    Cheers,
    Isabella
    MSFT Windows Outreach Team
  5. Quote:
    But how can the i7 be better when the speed is only 1.73 GHz as opposed to the core 2 duo t9900 with 3.06 GHz. Is there another factor which drives processor speed?

    This is because the intel i7 has 4 cores but the intel core 2 duo only has 2, this basically means that the more cores it has the faster it will go :D
  6. Quote:
    1.73 GHz x 4 cores = 6.92 GHz

    3.06 GHz = 2 cores = 6.12 GHz

    That is just simple math. Not counting the other factors...


    No, no and god no. It is not like having one processor at 6.92ghz. It's more like having 4 individual processors at the base speed doing the work instead of just two or just one. The individual speeds of the processors may be slower, but there are more of them to do the work. There is also the difference of the i7 having Hyper Threading as well.

    The "other factors" would include major differences in the architectures of the processors which effect how they run. The Core i series runs on a newer and more efficient architecture than the Core2's.
  7. lostandwandering said:
    The individual speeds of the processors may be slower, but there are more of them to do the work. There is also the difference of the i7 having Hyper Threading as well.


    Don't forget that the i7 'Turbo Mode' can go up to 3+GHz when only one core is in use, so if you're not using the multithreaded capabilitiies it's a pretty fast single threaded CPU too.

    Of course if you're not using the multithreaded capabilities you're probably better off with a higher-clocked i3 or i5 in the first place :).
  8. It's not the most scientific thing in the world, but this is a good go to chart for such matters:

    http://www.notebookcheck.net/Mobile-Processors-Benchmarklist.2436.0.html

    lostandwandering: LOL! Well said!
Ask a new question

Read More

Laptops Processors Intel i5 Intel