Error 1402

While re-installing applications from the CD containing "Windows XP
Dell-Installed Applications", "Dell Support 2.1 Rev A03" I get this error;

Error 1402:Could not open key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Dell\Support\2.0\Modules.
Verify that you have sufficient access to that key, or contact your support
personnel.

Well, I am able to open the key and see;
Value Name = TS
Value Data = 1111111A

I can change the "A" to a "B" and do not get an error, so I gues I have
sufficient access, right?

Am running XP Pro SP2 and all updates are current.
BTW, I tried to install this earlier today and the installer informed me I
had to FIRST install .Net framework, so I did, then ran the install and got
this error message.

Any suggestions? I searched MS and Dell KB's and find no specific help, just
very general things that either don't relate to XP, or not to the specific
problem.

TIA
--
DavidR
3 answers Last reply

    Hi,

    Right click the key and select permissions, it is in here that you will have
    to make sure that your account has sufficient privileges.

    --
    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    "DavidR" <DavidR@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > While re-installing applications from the CD containing "Windows XP
    > Dell-Installed Applications", "Dell Support 2.1 Rev A03" I get this error;
    >
    > Error 1402:Could not open key:
    > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Dell\Support\2.0\Modules.
    > Verify that you have sufficient access to that key, or contact your
    > support
    > personnel.
    >
    > Well, I am able to open the key and see;
    > Value Name = TS
    > Value Data = 1111111A
    >
    > I can change the "A" to a "B" and do not get an error, so I gues I have
    > sufficient access, right?
    >
    > Am running XP Pro SP2 and all updates are current.
    > BTW, I tried to install this earlier today and the installer informed me I
    > had to FIRST install .Net framework, so I did, then ran the install and
    > got
    > this error message.
    >
    > Any suggestions? I searched MS and Dell KB's and find no specific help,
    > just
    > very general things that either don't relate to XP, or not to the specific
    > problem.
    >
    > TIA
    > --
    > DavidR

    Rick,

    in applying the permissions I began by taking ownership away from
    'administrator' in the 'modules' key. That alon did not work, so I moved to
    the 'dell' key and came down the chain applying full permissions to myself on
    each key. I did not do each one at a time and test it so I am not sure which
    key was the right one, however, I did succeed in the install as a result of
    the change in ownership and permissions.

    The information I had not gleaned from other posts that spoke of
    permissions, was the secret you revealed to me.

    I had right-clicked on the strings and data an values, these reveal nothing
    aobut permissions. I did not realize until your post that I had to
    right-click on the keys themselves. Thanks you very much for your help.

    On a scale of 1 to 10, your reply rates an...uhhh..15!

    Thanks again,

    DavidR

    --
    DavidR

    "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > Right click the key and select permissions, it is in here that you will have
    > to make sure that your account has sufficient privileges.
    >
    > --
    > Best of Luck,

    > http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    > Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
    >
    > "DavidR" <DavidR@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > While re-installing applications from the CD containing "Windows XP
    > > Dell-Installed Applications", "Dell Support 2.1 Rev A03" I get this error;
    > >
    > > Error 1402:Could not open key:
    > > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Dell\Support\2.0\Modules.
    > > Verify that you have sufficient access to that key, or contact your
    > > support
    > > personnel.
    > >
    > > Well, I am able to open the key and see;
    > > Value Name = TS
    > > Value Data = 1111111A
    > >
    > > I can change the "A" to a "B" and do not get an error, so I gues I have
    > > sufficient access, right?
    > >
    > > Am running XP Pro SP2 and all updates are current.
    > > BTW, I tried to install this earlier today and the installer informed me I
    > > had to FIRST install .Net framework, so I did, then ran the install and
    > > got
    > > this error message.
    > >
    > > Any suggestions? I searched MS and Dell KB's and find no specific help,
    > > just
    > > very general things that either don't relate to XP, or not to the specific
    > > problem.
    > >
    > > TIA
    > > --
    > > DavidR

    You're most welcome, David.

    --

    > Rick,
    >
    > in applying the permissions I began by taking ownership away from
    > 'administrator' in the 'modules' key. That alon did not work, so I moved
    > the 'dell' key and came down the chain applying full permissions to myself
    > on
    > each key. I did not do each one at a time and test it so I am not sure
    > which
    > key was the right one, however, I did succeed in the install as a result
    > of
    > the change in ownership and permissions.
    >
    > The information I had not gleaned from other posts that spoke of
    > permissions, was the secret you revealed to me.
    >
    > I had right-clicked on the strings and data an values, these reveal
    > nothing
    > aobut permissions. I did not realize until your post that I had to
    > right-click on the keys themselves. Thanks you very much for your help.
    >
    > On a scale of 1 to 10, your reply rates an...uhhh..15!
    >
    > Thanks again,
    >
    > DavidR
    >
    > --
    > DavidR
    >

    > "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:
    >
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> Right click the key and select permissions, it is in here that you will
    >> have
    >> to make sure that your account has sufficient privileges.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Best of Luck,

    >> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    >> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
    >>
    >> "DavidR" <DavidR@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > While re-installing applications from the CD containing "Windows XP
    >> > Dell-Installed Applications", "Dell Support 2.1 Rev A03" I get this
    >> > error;
    >> >
    >> > Error 1402:Could not open key:
    >> > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Dell\Support\2.0\Modules.
    >> > Verify that you have sufficient access to that key, or contact your
    >> > support
    >> > personnel.
    >> >
    >> > Well, I am able to open the key and see;
    >> > Value Name = TS
    >> > Value Data = 1111111A
    >> >
    >> > I can change the "A" to a "B" and do not get an error, so I gues I have
    >> > sufficient access, right?
    >> >
    >> > Am running XP Pro SP2 and all updates are current.
    >> > BTW, I tried to install this earlier today and the installer informed
    >> > me I
    >> > had to FIRST install .Net framework, so I did, then ran the install and
    >> > got
    >> > this error message.
    >> >
    >> > Any suggestions? I searched MS and Dell KB's and find no specific help,
    >> > just
    >> > very general things that either don't relate to XP, or not to the
    >> > specific
    >> > problem.
    >> >
    >> > TIA
    >> > --