no boot

jeff

E 1000 Gateway computer with a 233mmx chip - locked up - rebooted it. It did
it again and wouldn't reboot. It won't start up now.

The fan runs, the light will come on on the cd drive, and the hard drive runs
briefly but nothing else. The floppy drive doesn't light up and if I put a
disk in it before turning it on nothing happens. I don't get any bios info on
the monitor either. The monitor stays blank and the light on it blinks like it
is in a sleep mode.

Tried unplugging different things inside and turning it on, but still nothing.
I even plugged in another hard drive. I have both 12v and 5v power at the
drives.

I have made sure everything is plugged in tight also. I don't see any battery
either. I did get the light on the front of the computer to go from power
save mode to a non-blinking green light, but it still wont turn on.

any ideas?

jeff

Video card? Can you try another one?
Unplug everything but the floppy and try booting to that, if it's no go then
the vid card is a good bet, or a dead motherboard.

"Jeff" <no@way.net> wrote in message
> E 1000 Gateway computer with a 233mmx chip - locked up - rebooted it. It
did
> it again and wouldn't reboot. It won't start up now.
>
> The fan runs, the light will come on on the cd drive, and the hard drive
runs
> briefly but nothing else. The floppy drive doesn't light up and if I put a
> disk in it before turning it on nothing happens. I don't get any bios info
on
> the monitor either. The monitor stays blank and the light on it blinks
like it
> is in a sleep mode.
>
> Tried unplugging different things inside and turning it on, but still
nothing.
> I even plugged in another hard drive. I have both 12v and 5v power at the
> drives.
>
> I have made sure everything is plugged in tight also. I don't see any
battery
> either. I did get the light on the front of the computer to go from power
> save mode to a non-blinking green light, but it still wont turn on.
>
> any ideas?
>
> jeff

Reseat the CPU and memory modules.

"Jeff" <no@way.net> wrote in message
> E 1000 Gateway computer with a 233mmx chip - locked up - rebooted it. It
did
> it again and wouldn't reboot. It won't start up now.
>
> The fan runs, the light will come on on the cd drive, and the hard drive
runs
> briefly but nothing else. The floppy drive doesn't light up and if I put a
> disk in it before turning it on nothing happens. I don't get any bios info
on
> the monitor either. The monitor stays blank and the light on it blinks
like it
> is in a sleep mode.
>
> Tried unplugging different things inside and turning it on, but still
nothing.
> I even plugged in another hard drive. I have both 12v and 5v power at the
> drives.
>
> I have made sure everything is plugged in tight also. I don't see any
battery
> either. I did get the light on the front of the computer to go from power
> save mode to a non-blinking green light, but it still wont turn on.
>
> any ideas?
>
> jeff

Jeff,
I have been having the exact same problem. If you ever discover the
problem or fix for this, please, please, please! post the solution, or
better yet, since my pc is unbootable 95% of the time, email solution
to lz70f9@yahoo.com. Thanks, Liz

jeff

Liz,

Actually, it's my brother in law's computer, but it does seem to be working
now that he's replaced the video card. (it had onboard video, he put in a
card from one of my old machines and it seems to be working again.)

Good luck!

Jeff