Genuine Validation Error 0x80080204

September 11, 2005 12:00:02 AM

I am trying to do the Genuine Validation check so I can pull down updates for
my system. The error I am getting is:

Validation Incomplete: Online Validation Failure[0x80080204]

Why didn’t my machine complete validation?

There are several reasons why validation may not have succeeded.

The time set on your computer may be off by more than 24 hours from your
local time.

Review the date and time settings for your computer. You can get there by
right-mouse clicking on the clock displayed on your computers toolbar and
choosing Adjust Date/Time from the menu.
Verify both the time of day and year is set correctly.

You can also review or adjust the date and time settings by clicking on the
Windows start button and going to the control panel.
From the control panel, and go to Date and Time. This will bring up the
computers date and time settings.
Verify both the time of day and year is set correctly.

For additional information on setting the system time, please review
knowledge base article #906533.

You have Internet access, but one of the Internet connection settings is
incorrect.

The Windows Genuine Advantage validation tool is unable to communicate with
the Microsoft validation servers.

1. Now I have tried resetting the time on my system to an invalid time and
setting back
2. I have unistalled the activeX add-on and reinstalling
3. I have tried changing the product key and re-registering (which is
another issue the register just puts the old information back in despite my
removing it)
4. I have used the alternate method to check for validation.
5. I have a legal, holographic disc, version given to me at a microsoft XP
release party at the redmond campus.
6. I activated by phone just 2 days ago due to a lack of internet
connectivity at the time.
7. I sync'd with the time servers at windows.com and even the .gov time
server.
8. I have tried to connect from different networks, proxied and
non-proxied. Firewalled and non-firewalled.

How the heck do I get past this issue? This is very frustrating. I don't
understand what my time has to do with anything?? Despite the fact that the
time is CORRECT!!
Anonymous
September 11, 2005 4:03:16 AM

Use 2 or 3 keywords and type them into Google with a space between each
word. Try different combinations of words for your question. You would be
surprised at what you will find by doing this - maybe even the suggestion
you are looking for.

--
Regards,

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

Quote from: George Ankner

Anonymous
September 11, 2005 4:09:11 AM

Sorry. Ended up under incorrect post.

--

"Richard Urban [MVP]" <richardurbanREMOVETHIS@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> [...]
>> another issue the register just puts the old information back in despite
>> my
>> removing it)
>> 4. I have used the alternate method to check for validation.
>> 5. I have a legal, holographic disc, version given to me at a microsoft
>> XP
>> release party at the redmond campus.
>> 6. I activated by phone just 2 days ago due to a lack of internet
>> connectivity at the time.
>> 7. I sync'd with the time servers at windows.com and even the .gov time
>> server.
>> 8. I have tried to connect from different networks, proxied and
>> non-proxied. Firewalled and non-firewalled.
>>
>> How the heck do I get past this issue? This is very frustrating. I
>> don't
>> understand what my time has to do with anything?? Despite the fact that

September 11, 2005 4:09:12 AM

No problem but that still does not fix my problem :)

September 11, 2005 1:09:48 PM

Try this:
http://home19.inet.tele.dk/jys05000/

--

Kenny Cargill

"Schrammbo" <Schrammbo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am trying to do the Genuine Validation check so I can pull down updates
>for
> my system. The error I am getting is:

> Validation Incomplete: Online Validation Failure[0x80080204]
>
> Why didn't my machine complete validation?
>
> There are several reasons why validation may not have succeeded.
>

> The time set on your computer may be off by more than 24 hours from your
> local time.
>

> Review the date and time settings for your computer. You can get there by
> right-mouse clicking on the clock displayed on your computers toolbar and
> choosing Adjust Date/Time from the menu.
> Verify both the time of day and year is set correctly.
>

> You can also review or adjust the date and time settings by clicking on
> the
> Windows start button and going to the control panel.
> From the control panel, and go to Date and Time. This will bring up the
> computers date and time settings.
> Verify both the time of day and year is set correctly.
>

> For additional information on setting the system time, please review
> knowledge base article #906533.
>

> You have Internet access, but one of the Internet connection settings is
> incorrect.
>

> The Windows Genuine Advantage validation tool is unable to communicate
> with
> the Microsoft validation servers.
>
> 1. Now I have tried resetting the time on my system to an invalid time
> and
> setting back
> 2. I have unistalled the activeX add-on and reinstalling
> 3. I have tried changing the product key and re-registering (which is
> another issue the register just puts the old information back in despite
> my
> removing it)
> 4. I have used the alternate method to check for validation.
> 5. I have a legal, holographic disc, version given to me at a microsoft
> XP
> release party at the redmond campus.
> 6. I activated by phone just 2 days ago due to a lack of internet
> connectivity at the time.
> 7. I sync'd with the time servers at windows.com and even the .gov time
> server.
> 8. I have tried to connect from different networks, proxied and
> non-proxied. Firewalled and non-firewalled.
>
> How the heck do I get past this issue? This is very frustrating. I don't
> understand what my time has to do with anything?? Despite the fact that
> the
> time is CORRECT!!

Anonymous
September 11, 2005 5:27:37 PM

Is your computer joined to a domain?If then:-
1. Open a CMD.EXE window.

2. Type net time %LOGONSERVER% /SET /YES and press Enter

3. Close the CMD.EXE window.

4. Close all instances of Internet Explorer.

5. Start Internet Explorer and try to validate your copy of Windows XP.

regards,
ssg MS-MVP
Schrammbo wrote:
> I am trying to do the Genuine Validation check so I can pull down updates for
> my system. The error I am getting is:

> Validation Incomplete: Online Validation Failure[0x80080204]
>
> Why didn't my machine complete validation?
>
> There are several reasons why validation may not have succeeded.
>

> The time set on your computer may be off by more than 24 hours from your
> local time.
>

> Review the date and time settings for your computer. You can get there by
> right-mouse clicking on the clock displayed on your computers toolbar and
> choosing Adjust Date/Time from the menu.
> Verify both the time of day and year is set correctly.
>

> You can also review or adjust the date and time settings by clicking on the
> Windows start button and going to the control panel.
> From the control panel, and go to Date and Time. This will bring up the
> computers date and time settings.
> Verify both the time of day and year is set correctly.
>

> For additional information on setting the system time, please review
> knowledge base article #906533.
>

> You have Internet access, but one of the Internet connection settings is
> incorrect.
>

> The Windows Genuine Advantage validation tool is unable to communicate with
> the Microsoft validation servers.
>
> 1. Now I have tried resetting the time on my system to an invalid time and
> setting back
> 2. I have unistalled the activeX add-on and reinstalling
> 3. I have tried changing the product key and re-registering (which is
> another issue the register just puts the old information back in despite my
> removing it)
> 4. I have used the alternate method to check for validation.
> 5. I have a legal, holographic disc, version given to me at a microsoft XP
> release party at the redmond campus.
> 6. I activated by phone just 2 days ago due to a lack of internet
> connectivity at the time.
> 7. I sync'd with the time servers at windows.com and even the .gov time
> server.
> 8. I have tried to connect from different networks, proxied and
> non-proxied. Firewalled and non-firewalled.
>
> How the heck do I get past this issue? This is very frustrating. I don't
> understand what my time has to do with anything?? Despite the fact that the
> time is CORRECT!!

Anonymous
September 11, 2005 6:03:01 PM

No it is a stand alone laptop in a workgroup

"S.Sengupta" wrote:

> Is your computer joined to a domain?If then:-
> 1. Open a CMD.EXE window.
>
> 2. Type net time %LOGONSERVER% /SET /YES and press Enter
>
> 3. Close the CMD.EXE window.
>
> 4. Close all instances of Internet Explorer.
>
> 5. Start Internet Explorer and try to validate your copy of Windows XP.
>
> regards,
> ssg MS-MVP
> Schrammbo wrote:
> > I am trying to do the Genuine Validation check so I can pull down updates for
> > my system. The error I am getting is:

> > Validation Incomplete: Online Validation Failure[0x80080204]
> >
> > Why didn’t my machine complete validation?
> >
> > There are several reasons why validation may not have succeeded.
> >

> > The time set on your computer may be off by more than 24 hours from your
> > local time.
> >

> > Review the date and time settings for your computer. You can get there by
> > right-mouse clicking on the clock displayed on your computers toolbar and
> > choosing Adjust Date/Time from the menu.
> > Verify both the time of day and year is set correctly.
> >

> > You can also review or adjust the date and time settings by clicking on the
> > Windows start button and going to the control panel.
> > From the control panel, and go to Date and Time. This will bring up the
> > computers date and time settings.
> > Verify both the time of day and year is set correctly.
> >

> > For additional information on setting the system time, please review
> > knowledge base article #906533.
> >

> > You have Internet access, but one of the Internet connection settings is
> > incorrect.
> >

> > The Windows Genuine Advantage validation tool is unable to communicate with
> > the Microsoft validation servers.
> >
> > 1. Now I have tried resetting the time on my system to an invalid time and
> > setting back
> > 2. I have unistalled the activeX add-on and reinstalling
> > 3. I have tried changing the product key and re-registering (which is
> > another issue the register just puts the old information back in despite my
> > removing it)
> > 4. I have used the alternate method to check for validation.
> > 5. I have a legal, holographic disc, version given to me at a microsoft XP
> > release party at the redmond campus.
> > 6. I activated by phone just 2 days ago due to a lack of internet
> > connectivity at the time.
> > 7. I sync'd with the time servers at windows.com and even the .gov time
> > server.
> > 8. I have tried to connect from different networks, proxied and
> > non-proxied. Firewalled and non-firewalled.
> >
> > How the heck do I get past this issue? This is very frustrating. I don't
> > understand what my time has to do with anything?? Despite the fact that the
> > time is CORRECT!!

Anonymous
September 11, 2005 8:20:53 PM

Schrammbo <Schrammbo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>How the heck do I get past this issue? This is very frustrating. I don't
>understand what my time has to do with anything?? Despite the fact that the
>time is CORRECT!!

Windows is very fussy about the configuration data, as spoofing this
type of information (e.g. pretending you are in the U.S, when you are
actually in Asia somewhere) is a common technique used by various
unsavory types.

Your message headers indicate that you are posting from GMT - 0700,
which would be Pacific Daylight Savings Time. If you are not
actually living within that time zone then that would account for your
problem. You would need to configure your correct time zone location
using Control Panel - Date and Time - Time Zone.

Good luck

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP
On-Line Help Computer Service

http://aumha.org/alex.htm
September 12, 2005 3:46:36 AM

On Sat, 10 Sep 2005 20:00:02 -0700, Schrammbo
<Schrammbo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I am trying to do the Genuine Validation check so I can pull down updates for
>my system. The error I am getting is:

>Validation Incomplete: Online Validation Failure[0x80080204]

snip

>The Windows Genuine Advantage validation tool is unable to communicate with
>the Microsoft validation servers.

>5. I have a legal, holographic disc, version given to me at a microsoft XP
>release party at the redmond campus.

I love this one - made me larf.

>How the heck do I get past this issue? This is very frustrating. I don't
>understand what my time has to do with anything?? Despite the fact that the
>time is CORRECT!!

Perhaps distracting us with spurious possible problems is designed to
divert attention from the fact that WGA does not work properly?
Playing for time maybe???

BTW can you get back to Redmond and nail your disk to a customer
service managers forehead, that may just attract some attention?

Jonah
Anonymous
September 12, 2005 9:21:14 AM

news:o sd9i1h6grsa43klcasj3juon3666fp081@4ax.com...
> Schrammbo <Schrammbo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>

>>How the heck do I get past this issue? This is very frustrating. I don't
>>understand what my time has to do with anything?? Despite the fact that
>>the
>>time is CORRECT!!
>>

> Windows is very fussy about the configuration data, as spoofing this
> type of information (e.g. pretending you are in the U.S, when you are
> actually in Asia somewhere) is a common technique used by various
> unsavory types.
>
> Your message headers indicate that you are posting from GMT - 0700,
> which would be Pacific Daylight Savings Time. If you are not
> actually living within that time zone then that would account for your
> problem. You would need to configure your correct time zone location
> using Control Panel - Date and Time - Time Zone.

I think you'll find that ALL users using "X-Newsreader: Microsoft CDO for
Windows 2000" will show GMT -0700.
!