D Drive

All of the sudden - my D drive isn't working - I'm not too computer literate
guys, so break it down for me if you think you can help.
7 answers Last reply
More about drive

    It would help if we knew what the hell your D drive was????????????????
    HD??
    CD
    DVD??
    peterk

    In news:6B7B89AE-E902-4436-9F65-AECF017F272A@microsoft.com,
    Clueless <Clueless@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:
    > All of the sudden - my D drive isn't working - I'm not too computer
    > literate guys, so break it down for me if you think you can help.

    Hi - what's D assigned to? Your CD-ROM? Do you get error messages?

    Does it show up in Windows Explorer? (double-click My Computer, or go to
    start | run, and type explorer <enter> and look under My Computer....)
    Does it show up in Device Manager? Control Panel | system | hardware ....

    Yes, it's assigned to my CD Rom - No, doesn't show up in my computer. This
    is the message I get in driver properties -
    Windows cannot start this hardware device because its configuration
    information (in the registry) is incomplete or damaged. (Code 19)

    Click Troubleshoot to start the troubleshooter for this device.

    When I try to troubleshoot - I get nowhere!

    "Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]" wrote:

    > In news:6B7B89AE-E902-4436-9F65-AECF017F272A@microsoft.com,
    > Clueless <Clueless@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:
    > > All of the sudden - my D drive isn't working - I'm not too computer
    > > literate guys, so break it down for me if you think you can help.
    >
    > Hi - what's D assigned to? Your CD-ROM? Do you get error messages?
    >
    > Does it show up in Windows Explorer? (double-click My Computer, or go to
    > start | run, and type explorer <enter> and look under My Computer....)
    > Does it show up in Device Manager? Control Panel | system | hardware ....

    What do you have installed on the D drive? Might be a CD/DVD drive, a hard
    drive or a partition of sort. Assuming that you did not install any new
    hardware or that you did not create new partitions, try these:

    If it is a CD/DVD drive, simply update the drivers for that device - Device
    Manger/DVD-CD ROM Drives.
    If that fails, try to uninstall then reinstall the device - also via Device
    Manager or Add New Hardware wizard.
    If it still does not work, you have to check the hardware connections
    (cables) or the device itself.

    Just post back what device you had on D:.

    Michael
    "Clueless" <Clueless@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > All of the sudden - my D drive isn't working - I'm not too computer
    > literate
    > guys, so break it down for me if you think you can help.

    It's my internal CD/DVD drive - this is the message I get at the driver
    properties -
    Windows cannot start this hardware device because its configuration
    information (in the registry) is incomplete or damaged. (Code 19)

    Click Troubleshoot to start the troubleshooter for this device. When I try
    to troubleshoot - it doesn't help at all. I've checked all connections - any
    other ideas?

    "Phillips" wrote:

    > What do you have installed on the D drive? Might be a CD/DVD drive, a hard
    > drive or a partition of sort. Assuming that you did not install any new
    > hardware or that you did not create new partitions, try these:
    >
    > If it is a CD/DVD drive, simply update the drivers for that device - Device
    > Manger/DVD-CD ROM Drives.
    > If that fails, try to uninstall then reinstall the device - also via Device
    > Manager or Add New Hardware wizard.
    > If it still does not work, you have to check the hardware connections
    > (cables) or the device itself.
    >
    > Just post back what device you had on D:.
    >
    > Michael
    > "Clueless" <Clueless@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > All of the sudden - my D drive isn't working - I'm not too computer
    > > literate
    > > guys, so break it down for me if you think you can help.

    1. First, I would check in BIOS that the DVD drive is recognized by the
    system. If it is not, you'll have to check it in another machine or at a
    computer store/shop.
    1a. In BIOS, check that the DVD is installed as a UDMA device.
    2. If you went through the WinHelp troubleshooting process, I gather that
    you also uninstalled and reinstalled the proper device drivers. Some drivers
    here:
    http://www.cdrom-drivers.com/companies/124.htm?acd=3&rvd=5&thx=9&bng=7&o=5
    3. Take a look here:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;q308012
    4. Do not install similar programs that use the DVD drive - Roxio and Nero.
    5. Try System Restore; else,
    6. Repair XP
    7. You also can go the more tedious way of cleaning the registry by hand...
    search the registry for all instances of d:, cd, cd-rom or the name of your
    dvd/cd-rom drive.
    Michael

    Just uninstall the device and let XP "discover" it at reboot.
    > It's my internal CD/DVD drive - this is the message I get at the driver
    > properties -
    > Windows cannot start this hardware device because its configuration
    > information (in the registry) is incomplete or damaged. (Code 19)
    >
    > Click Troubleshoot to start the troubleshooter for this device. When I
    > try
    > to troubleshoot - it doesn't help at all. I've checked all connections -
    > any
    > other ideas?
    >
    > "Phillips" wrote:
    >
    >> What do you have installed on the D drive? Might be a CD/DVD drive, a
    >> hard
    >> drive or a partition of sort. Assuming that you did not install any new
    >> hardware or that you did not create new partitions, try these:
    >>
    >> If it is a CD/DVD drive, simply update the drivers for that device -
    >> Device
    >> Manger/DVD-CD ROM Drives.
    >> If that fails, try to uninstall then reinstall the device - also via
    >> Device
    >> Manager or Add New Hardware wizard.
    >> If it still does not work, you have to check the hardware connections
    >> (cables) or the device itself.
    >>
    >> Just post back what device you had on D:.
    >>
    >> Michael
    >> "Clueless" <Clueless@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > All of the sudden - my D drive isn't working - I'm not too computer
    >> > literate
    >> > guys, so break it down for me if you think you can help.

    1st check to see if it is jumpered correctly..........slave or master and on
    the right EIDE connection.and where should it be according to manual?
    2nd..if it is jumpered correctly and on the right cable try uninstalling in
    Device manager and then reboot to let XP redetect.

    get back to us
    peterk

    "Clueless" <Clueless@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > It's my internal CD/DVD drive - this is the message I get at the driver
    > properties -
    > Windows cannot start this hardware device because its configuration
    > information (in the registry) is incomplete or damaged. (Code 19)
    >
    > Click Troubleshoot to start the troubleshooter for this device. When I
    > try
    > to troubleshoot - it doesn't help at all. I've checked all connections -
    > any
    > other ideas?
    >
    > "Phillips" wrote:
    >
    >> What do you have installed on the D drive? Might be a CD/DVD drive, a
    >> hard
    >> drive or a partition of sort. Assuming that you did not install any new
    >> hardware or that you did not create new partitions, try these:
    >>
    >> If it is a CD/DVD drive, simply update the drivers for that device -
    >> Device
    >> Manger/DVD-CD ROM Drives.
    >> If that fails, try to uninstall then reinstall the device - also via
    >> Device
    >> Manager or Add New Hardware wizard.
    >> If it still does not work, you have to check the hardware connections
    >> (cables) or the device itself.
    >>
    >> Just post back what device you had on D:.
    >>
    >> Michael
    >> "Clueless" <Clueless@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > All of the sudden - my D drive isn't working - I'm not too computer
    >> > literate
    >> > guys, so break it down for me if you think you can help.

Computers Microsoft Windows XP