Status
Not open for further replies.

ken whitaker

Honorable
Feb 25, 2012
Hello,
I have a KLH TR-82 table top radio that has static only in one speaker. The other speaker sounds normal.I play the radio for 10-15 minutes and I am overwhelmed with static.Could a bad capacitor cause this type of "white noise"? There are two big blue caps (220 micro f 50 V) on the circuit board or could it be something else- i.e.audio amplifier. I've switched both speakers and it didn't seem to help.It is not an antenna problem- it doesn't matter which station the radio is broadcasting.
Thanks in advance for your response
Ken Whitaker

Solution
Bad caps cause a hum.
It has been my experience that your problem is usually caused by a noisy transistor or integrated circuit or possibly a cold solder joint in the "pre-amp" section of the radio. If the noise also persists when switched to the auxiliary input, there is most certainly a problem in the pre-amp. You could also have a noisy volume control.

captain8ball

Honorable
Apr 2, 2012
Bad caps cause a hum.
It has been my experience that your problem is usually caused by a noisy transistor or integrated circuit or possibly a cold solder joint in the "pre-amp" section of the radio. If the noise also persists when switched to the auxiliary input, there is most certainly a problem in the pre-amp. You could also have a noisy volume control.

Solution

ken whitaker

Honorable
Feb 25, 2012

Thanks for your tips. It was the IC.

Ken Whitaker

Status
Not open for further replies.