RPC problem with PDC

G

We've recently run into a problem with our PDC, I was wondering if anyone has any ideas.
Here's the problem. After roughly 2 weeks uptime clients begin getting a "can't find the Domain Controller, using cached info to log on" message when they try to log onto the domain. After clicking 'ok' to this message, they finish the logon process and are able to access all of the domain resources.

Another symptom of the problem, is when the clients are getting this message, if you go to server administrator and browse the computer or users list, it comes back with an RPC error and wont let you do it.

The solution to this problem, so far, has been to reboot the PDC. Does anyone know what's going on?
Our set up is as follows: 1 PDC, dual xeon 400's with 1.5 GB RAM. 2 BDC's, one local, one remote, similar hardware. Roughly 1200 users logged on at any one time from one local and 3 remote locations via 8 dedicated T1's through 3 Cisco 3640 routers and one 5500 and one 5505 switch.

The two things that I can think of that have changed recently in our network is that we've added approximately 10 new servers and one remote location with a couple hundred new users.

Thanks for any help in advance. You may also email me with suggestions. goofkgb@hotmail.com
Eric

G

This problem could have a number of causes. You will need to do some troubleshooting.

I would suggest you start by looking at the event logs to see if there are any errors or warnings that would help narrow down the problems.

Check to see if any names of servers or workstations are duplicated on your network, especially with domain controllers. This can cause havoc with network logons.

Also, try using Perfomance Monitor or Task Manager to track the memory usage on the PDC over time and see if you have a memory leak.

Check to make sure that replication is working properly, and the BDCs are successfully replicating with the PDC.

The next time you have problems try doing this instead of rebooting:

1) Stop the NetLogon service on the PDC and BDCs.
2) Start the NetLogon service on the PDC.
3) Start the NetLogon service on the BDCs.
4) Test to see if the problem is gone.

Let us know what happens.