Bad Smell @ Cal Extreme

No it wasn't me, although it was by me. There were a couple of things
that happened back there. Cliffy was right about the onions but that
wasn't what the worst part was. One of the show staffers, Mike, found
a concessions cart that belonged to the convention center, tucked away
in the hallway by my booth.

Who ever used it last left items in the refrigerated compartment and
then forgot them. There was milk and cheese in there among other
things. Everything would have been fine, except human nature took over
and one of our fine attendees in his search for that illusive mint,
nos, Gold, Centaur playfield just had to look in there. Well once that
door was opened a rush of flies exited into the room along with the
foulest odor. It lingered in that corner all weekend, to some degree,
because I had thought the cart had been completely removed. After
checking into it further I discovered it had just been re-positioned to
another corner. Another was this absolute moron took a leak back there
just behind the wall because he did not want to walk all the way to the
lobby. I noticed him come out of the area pulling up his zipper. I
went back around there and found where he "let er go".

Now the BO. There were a couple of guys there that visited my booth
that just plain stunk. I'm sorry, but they smelled worse than that
cart. I hate to even bring this one up but there were also a couple of
guys that I don't think use toilet paper. Dump and run I guess. The
guy with the green shirt that had an HP logo on it smelled like a
septic truck. Then there was the guy with the skateboard that smelled
like a million cigarette butts. That's enough...I've already said too
much.

We always get a few torchured souls, I'm sorry, "individualists", that
are one of a kind but my daughter summed it up best during the first
half hour of her first show. "What a freak show, but it's fun".

So, that mystery is somewhat solved.

Mario
Pinthetic

Pinthetic@gmail.com wrote:

> Now the BO. There were a couple of guys there that visited my booth
> that just plain stunk. I'm sorry, but they smelled worse than that
> cart.

There are medical conditions which can cause this, but I find it
peculiar that pin enthusiasts (CARGPBs?) seem to be afflicted much more
frequently than the general population. Coal miners get emphysema, and
we get bromhidrosis. Very odd.

- Josh A.

from the Seinfeld episode, "The Smelly Car": "Why do we need B.O.? What
is the function of it? Everything in nature has a reason, has a
purpose, except B.O. Doesn't make any sense-- do something good, hard
work, exercise, smell very bad. This is the way the human being is
designed. You move, you stink. Why can't our bodies help us? Why can't
sweat smell good? It'd be a different world, wouldn't it? Instead of
putting your laundry in the hamper, you'd put it in a vase. You'd go
down to the drugstore and pick up some odorant and perspirant. You'd
probably have a dirty sweat sock hanging from the rearview mirror of
your car. And then on a really special night, maybe a little underwear
coming out of your breast pocket. Just to let her know she's important."

I guess if you keep walking you stay one step ahead of the smell. Just
don't stop!

Mario
Pinthetic

Hey Cliffy,

I noticed you didn't hug Ray Johnson. I hope he's not jealous! :)
After all it is California!

Pinthetic@gmail.com wrote:
..... I hate to even bring this one up
but there were also a couple of
> guys that I don't think use toilet paper. ....

TP costs money. Those fellows were
probably just saving up their money to
buy the latest TZ mod. However, they
could have at least given everyone fair
warning of their situation. Wearing a
T-Shirt with "Have Wedgie Will Travel"
printed on the front of it would have
been appropriate. ;-)

Rick Swanson

Mario, yeah that smell bugged the hell out of me too. I moved the cart
way in the back to the B hall hoping that the smell would at least
carry over to that side away from the main show. I guess it didn't
completely work but at least it prevented anyone else from opening the
refrigerator again. I just don't understand why the convention
concession would leave rotting milk in the espresso cart. They didn't
even bother emptying the espresso beans out of the big grinder. Now
people won't have a reason to complain when we tell them why we choose
not to have the concession stand opened during the show. Not to
mention that the nachos and sodas are a complete rip off.

As for the guy relieving himself behind the wall, I wish you could have
pointed this person out. I would have made this guy clean up his mess
and made sure he never returned to the show. There are bathrooms in
the back that are clearly marked when you go behind there. It's
impossible to tell from the show floor but as soon as you walk back
there, the restrooms are marked with a couple of signs.

I'm beat but I'm glad I got a chance to chat with you. As for the
"freak show" that's a new one for me. LOL

Michael

Pekkle wrote:
> Mario, yeah that smell bugged the hell out of me too. I moved the cart
> way in the back to the B hall hoping that the smell would at least
> carry over to that side away from the main show. I guess it didn't
> completely work but at least it prevented anyone else from opening the
> refrigerator again. I just don't understand why the convention
> concession would leave rotting milk in the espresso cart.

Well, to your credit you found it. We all owe you for that.

>Now
> people won't have a reason to complain when we tell them why we choose
> not to have the concession stand opened during the show. Not to
> mention that the nachos and sodas are a complete rip off.

Good point.

> As for the guy relieving himself behind the wall, I wish you could have
> pointed this person out. I would have made this guy clean up his mess
> and made sure he never returned to the show. There are bathrooms in
> the back that are clearly marked when you go behind there. It's
> impossible to tell from the show floor but as soon as you walk back
> there, the restrooms are marked with a couple of signs.

I tried to get someone's attention but you know I was located at the
back of the show. The staff gets around to checking that side door
once in a while, but mostly everybody stays up near the front. As time
went by I just let it go as I got busy.

> I'm beat but I'm glad I got a chance to chat with you. As for the
> "freak show" that's a new one for me. LOL

My daughter came up with that I think mostly because of: the guy in the
pink doo with the Atari shirt, the 35 year old skateboarder, The girl
with the white Don King hairdoo, the smelly guys, the guy with the "I
give head", "T" shirt, the two guys that were smootchin' back behind
the Shadow pin, the bad smell, the bald guy with the wandering eyeball
that she thought was following her around, the 6' woman that must have
weighed a whole 90 pounds, and some other stuff she told me about that
escapes me now. I kind of gave her a bad time when I told her it
didn't look any different to me than one of her parent-teacher nights
from high school.

I still wouldn't trade it for anything else. It's pinball!

Mario
Pinthetic

"the two guys that were smootchin' back behind
the Shadow pin,"?

Sigh, missed it! Never in the right place at the right time, as the
saying goes. Sometimes I think I'm the only one in the hobby that
prefers men....

At any rate, I apologise, if any of the bad smell in the area back
there was because of me. I was making a lot of wind... not as much as
that modded Whirlwind machine, but darn close! I had eaten some bad
fast food earlier in the day, and it was really embarassing. Sorry
about that. I couldn't leave the hall because I was in the middle of a
m e a n game of Shadow at the time...!

Josh

Well the BO and the peeing doesn't surprise me. I mean, hey it's California
right? Home of the great left wing liberal experiment, right? Just gotta
love the hobos.......wait that's not PC. What are they called now?

Now the smoking, that's got me baffled. Isn't that banned in CA? Course you
can stick a lot worse in you mouth but hey, that's ok, it's their civil
right, right??

Betcha can't tell I'm not real thrilled with the left coast, huh? :)

Mike

wow. thanks so much for that highly educated opinion. Not to mention the
blanket statements. Hint: not everyone is a tree hugging liberal here.

--
Cliffy - CARGPB2
A passion for pinball!

Oh now, come on......... you don't have any blanket statements when it comes
to Nebraska?

I was just kidding................well kinda........ ;-)

Mike

"runner1717" <runner1717@alltel.net> wrote in message
> Oh now, come on......... you don't have any blanket statements when it
> comes
> to Nebraska?

HEY!!!
I resemble that remark!!!

> I was just kidding................well kinda........ ;-)
>
> Mike

If the guy smelled and looked like Joe Dirt with a red mullett and wore
sweat pants (that have not been washed for a year) tucked into his work
boots, I know who he is and we had this guy at the pin shows in
Allentown. I guess he is spending some time on the west coast trying to
market his new fashion and trying to sell his over priced "HUO" pins.
Hint: he is a high end no BS buyer.

Krellan wrote:

>"the two guys that were smootchin' back behind
>the Shadow pin,"?
>
>... Sometimes I think I'm the only one in the hobby that
>prefers men....
>
>.... I couldn't leave the hall because I was in the middle of a
>m e a n game of Shadow at the time...!

Maybe Alec Baldwin has the effect of putting men in touch with their
feminine side? ;-)

Rick Swanson

Krellan wrote:
> "the two guys that were smootchin' back behind
> the Shadow pin,"?
>
> Sigh, missed it! Never in the right place at the right time, as the
> saying goes. Sometimes I think I'm the only one in the hobby that
> prefers men....

mmmm... not quite :)

Sounds like CAX was almost as freaky as the typical midwestern coin-op
auction, except we don't get the PDA :(

> about that. I couldn't leave the hall because I was in the middle of a
> m e a n game of Shadow at the time...!

And your final score was...?

xlr8

I just have to say this - The main reason I go to a pinball show is to
people watch!! Yes, there is pinball. Yes, I enjoy talking with people I
haven't seen in a while. Yes, I look forward to meeting some RGPers. But
the best part is watching some of the people walking around the show.

Maybe I'm just simple (probably a very good possibility of that), but I
truly look forward to the show for that very reason. Best show on Earth!!!

Have a good day,

Jim

<Pinthetic@gmail.com> wrote in message

> Pekkle wrote:
>> Mario, yeah that smell bugged the hell out of me too. I moved the cart
>> way in the back to the B hall hoping that the smell would at least
>> carry over to that side away from the main show. I guess it didn't
>> completely work but at least it prevented anyone else from opening the
>> refrigerator again. I just don't understand why the convention
>> concession would leave rotting milk in the espresso cart.
>
> Well, to your credit you found it. We all owe you for that.
>
>>Now
>> people won't have a reason to complain when we tell them why we choose
>> not to have the concession stand opened during the show. Not to
>> mention that the nachos and sodas are a complete rip off.
>
> Good point.
>>
>> As for the guy relieving himself behind the wall, I wish you could have
>> pointed this person out. I would have made this guy clean up his mess
>> and made sure he never returned to the show. There are bathrooms in
>> the back that are clearly marked when you go behind there. It's
>> impossible to tell from the show floor but as soon as you walk back
>> there, the restrooms are marked with a couple of signs.
>
> I tried to get someone's attention but you know I was located at the
> back of the show. The staff gets around to checking that side door
> once in a while, but mostly everybody stays up near the front. As time
> went by I just let it go as I got busy.
>>
>> I'm beat but I'm glad I got a chance to chat with you. As for the
>> "freak show" that's a new one for me. LOL
>
> My daughter came up with that I think mostly because of: the guy in the
> pink doo with the Atari shirt, the 35 year old skateboarder, The girl
> with the white Don King hairdoo, the smelly guys, the guy with the "I
> give head", "T" shirt, the two guys that were smootchin' back behind
> the Shadow pin, the bad smell, the bald guy with the wandering eyeball
> that she thought was following her around, the 6' woman that must have
> weighed a whole 90 pounds, and some other stuff she told me about that
> escapes me now. I kind of gave her a bad time when I told her it
> didn't look any different to me than one of her parent-teacher nights
> from high school.
>
> I still wouldn't trade it for anything else. It's pinball!
>
> Mario
> Pinthetic

Thats coz I thought he was the onion :p

--
Cliffy - CARGPB2
A passion for pinball!
http://www.passionforpinball.com

Final score for me on that Shadow game was only a lousy 400M. The
person I was playing with got 1.4B! I lasted just about as long, but
couldn't find the big points, just kept flailing around the ramps.
That mode start shot, up in the back right, is narrow! Couldn't hit it
to save my life.

It's so rare that I can play a fully working Shadow game, that I can't
practice :)

Josh

Krellan wrote:
> Final score for me on that Shadow game was only a lousy 400M. The
> person I was playing with got 1.4B! I lasted just about as long, but
> couldn't find the big points, just kept flailing around the ramps.
> That mode start shot, up in the back right, is narrow! Couldn't hit it
> to save my life.
>
> It's so rare that I can play a fully working Shadow game, that I can't
> practice :)

I hear ya.. I have one here, and it kicks my ass on a regular basis.
Heck, it's probably easier to shoot an unlit Kahn saucer to start
modes, than to shoot that damn super-narrow mode-start lane. If you're
ever in the midwest, you're welcome to take a crack at this one. Still
haven't beaten Final Battle yet..

metallik wrote:
.... Still
> haven't beaten Final Battle yet..

I got to Final Battle this evening but
then my flipper skills started blowing
big chucks. I knocked the hell out of
all the rubber posts but only made like
3 of the 27 shots. I fully expected the
machine to say "The Shadow knows you
should take up another hobby!" ;-)

Rick Swanson

martin

Was that you camped out around the Shadow for most of the day? The same
gentleman was playing it or near it most of Saturday afternoon, and was
still playing it when I returned at about 9:30 that evening.

If it was, I appreciate your courtesy in allowing others to play.

In fact, most players there followed the rules, and it was fairly easy
to get to play any game that you wanted. The one exception was the
chappie who camped out on the TAF with all four players up.

-The one exception was the chappie who camped out on the TAF with all
four players up

Happens at every show in Allentown I've been to. These campers are
asking to get elbowed in the back when you squeeze by.