patvdragon

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2003
Hey, I just replaced my 92 mm zalman fan with a stealth to cool my heatsink. I use a zalman copper flower, but because the cfm is less from the stealth my system is runnin hot. I was wondering what kinds of temperatures are okay/dangerous for processors, specifically my axp 2600 (thourobred) but in general as well

endyen

Splendid
Intel says that chips should not be hotter than 55c. Amd chips can handle a bit more temps, but can get flakey above 60c. Most amds are more stable if they are kept below 55.Problem is that no two temp sensors read the same.
It is easier to say that a cpu is too hot because it's getting glitches. If you are not crashing, and all of your data remains unspoilt, you are cool.

Johanthegnarler

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2003
Whatever MBM5 tells you add 5 to it.. and you should be alright.

<A HREF="http://arc.aquamark3.com/arc/arc_view.php?run=610166081" target="_new">http://arc.aquamark3.com/arc/arc_view.php?run=610166081</A>
Figured i'd do it too..reality my ass.

patvdragon

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2003
I'm wondering if my mobo isn't reading correctly, because I'm gettin cpu temps of aout 75 c. My system temp is different, about 40ish. Amd says that the highest temp should be 85c. Kinda worried =/

Woodman

Distinguished
May 8, 2002
Maybe when replacing the fan, you unwittingly moved the sink thus causing it to not make proper contat with the core?

Probably a stupid question, but are you sure the 75C temperature isn't in Fahrenheit?

-----
Moo.

Woodman

Distinguished
May 8, 2002
So do I, room temps right now at about 15C. Unexpected this arctic temperature is, this far south.

So Pat, made sure about the other thing?

-----
Moo.

endyen

Splendid
What type of mobo are you using? ( some mobos and chipsets read temps higher than others) How often does your system crash? What other fans are you running? What is the temperature in your room? If your system isn't crashing, you have no worries.

patvdragon

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2003
lol thanx for the imput guys =P. Nah, I'm sure the bios is saying 75c, or about 160-170f. Thing that's wierd is I've heavily moded my case, it has two 120s blowing out and two 90's blowin in, both knocked down by a fan controller, but still movin a lot of air. The mobo is an epox 89k3a+. And as to the heat sink, it's a zalman flower, so I didn't move it at all being the fan doesn't touch the heatsink at all. It's always run hot, was like 65-70c b4. I'm thinkin it's a sensor problem, but I don't know =/. I can touch my heat sink without pain, though it is sometimes warm to the touch toward the bottom. =/

redface

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2003
1. lapped your heatsink? artic silver 5?
2. what is the "cfm" measure for your new CPU HS fan?
3. I hope the middle of your CPU HS is receiving airflow from the fan. Do some "ducting" to direct airflow towards your CPU HS fan (so that no other fans are taking airflows off your CPU HS fan).

A fine day!

redface

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2003
Corrections:
1. lapped your heatsink? artic silver 5?
2. what is the "cfm" measure for your new CPU HS fan?
3. I hope the middle of your CPU HS is receiving airflow from the fan. (If the center of your fan has large diameter then you would expect the section of the heatsink under it to receive less airflow. That is whey you have Coolermaster aero 7.)
4.Do some "ducting" to direct airflow towards your CPU HS fan (so that no other fans are taking airflows off your CPU HS fan).

A fine day!