• Windows 7
Last response: in Windows 7
November 23, 2012 6:58:27 PM

AMD FX(tm)-4100 Quad-Core Processor 3.6 GHz CPU
Kingston HyperX 8GB (2 x 4GB) RAM
GeForce GTX 560 Ti GPU
m5a78l-m lx plus MOBO
600Watt PS

So the problem began a few months ago. it was a random shut off here and there. i was given 2 new parts after the problem started. it was the power supply (old one was 455W) and a new GPU (old one was gforce 9800). to think of it the problem might have started when i got a new motherboard cpu and ram. so im pretty sure one of those 3 is the problem.
bare in mind that it would shut off aspecialy during game play but still only doing it once, twice a day. Now it shuts off while watching a movie or even chatting on facebook and when i try to start it, it just shuts off on me during the windows 7 logo loading again.
it gives me 2 options to boot from: normal, and repair mode. if i go normal it just shuts down. if i repair it not always but sometimes fixes the problem for an hour or 2. but sometimes it just shuts off again.
I play this game of cat and mouse for about 4-5 tries and get it to load. it's like an old car.

forgot to mention i also went from windows vista 32bit to windows 7 64bit and problem is still here

my computer uses 4GB ram for hardware reserve which i don't mind. i tried to reset the bios from a backup and it still keeps screwing with me.
it's the DAY to buy parts online so im thinking of spending less then 100$ to fix this problem quick and easy.

anyone?

More about : shuts windows logo

November 23, 2012 7:06:35 PM

Does it Shut completely down or restarts on its own?
m
l
a c 302 $ Windows 7
November 23, 2012 7:08:57 PM

Have you run memtest86+ on your memory to insure that it is not the issue? http://www.memtest.org/ The program is free and you burn it to a CD and boot from the CD so you don't need a totally working system to use it.

If it passes two or three complete cycles it is not the issue.
m
l
Related resources
November 23, 2012 7:40:12 PM

Also check temperatures readings for the CPU, overheating might cause the whole PC to shut down to prevent damage
m
l
November 23, 2012 8:23:53 PM

i got core temp. turned it on and played a game. min.39C max 89C
current cpu temp 83C. do u think this might be the problem? should i just get a new heat sink?
m
l
a c 302 $ Windows 7
November 23, 2012 8:26:34 PM

89C is too hot for that processor. The recommended upper thermal limit IIRC is 71C, and I think that the shutdown is at 90C.

I would at least reseat the current heatsink with a *thin* smooth layer of thermal paste, and if that doesn't bring the temps down get a new heatsink. Also your idle temp of 39C is pretty high for idle, so check your case fans and make sure there aren't a pile of dust bunnies in there.
m
l
November 23, 2012 9:03:33 PM

How big is the new power supply--750W?
m
l
November 24, 2012 2:23:12 PM

I had something similar until one day, it sh@#$%^t itself.
Found out, it was the registry. Lost the lot!
It gave me the opportunity to go through the motions of repairing etc....
but, all in vain.
Cost me a good penny to get it fixed, whereas, it happened a couple of times.
Do you think I wasn't shirty!!!!!!!
Something from the internet I think??????
m
l
October 17, 2013 2:12:49 AM

fantomdark said:
Does it Shut completely down or restarts on its own?

m
l