2400+ problem on old Matsonic board

Titanion

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2002
Working on a friends old computer... Matsonic 8308EP... and I took out his palomino 1900+ and put in a new T-bred 2400+... the bios reads the cpu just fine and it loads into windows xp... he was having some crashing in games... so I replaced his generic 250w psu with an extra 320w psu I had around... I am using the stock heatsink for the cpu... but now it still freezed on him... with the case side off... what can cause this problem...

I just flashed his bios and updated his SiS chipset... I am now testing 3DMark2001SE on then 1900+... then I will put the 2400+ back in and see what goes...

<font color=red><b>The mind is in its own place, and in itself
Can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n.</b></font color=red>
John Milton, <i>Paradise Lost</i>, Book II

Woodman

Distinguished
May 8, 2002
Sounds like maybe it's the graphics card, and/or the memory.

-----
Saay, you look really beautiful. Mind if I take a sniff of your butt-hole?

Titanion

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2002
OK, but neither ram nor graphics card (ATI 9100) have been changed... only the change from 1900 to 2400, running at defaults with no overclocking...

I flashed the bios, updates Sis drivers, and even added on a Thurmalright SLK700 with a 80mm fan to control heat... and with the side off, it froze during 3DMark2001SE...

the bios is very limited in what I can change... does the cpu need more vcore?

BTW, this old board only takes pc133 ram... but he is running two sticks of 256. Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh... the benchmark just froze again...

This computer might be very fragmented... fat32 with XP... could this be an issue...

Woodman

Distinguished
May 8, 2002
What's the temps like in BIOS, AIDA or MBM? You might also wanna try exchanging the video card, maybe with yours, at least to eliminate that possibility.

-----
Moo.

Titanion

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2002
The only real change here is the new cpu... it has been running fine with his Palomino 1900+...

dust... ya, there is lots of that... but i did not add any when I changed the cpu... please tell me about what to look for in leakage...

as far as temps go, it seems like the 1900+ was actually running a lot hotter... perhaps with the higher vcore and weaker heatsink...

Titanion

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2002
I defragmented two 15BG partitions... installed XP SP1... ran 3DMark2001SE and it froze... as I was rebooting, it occured to me that this 14" monitor I am testing this computer on may not support the default settings... 1024x768 even at 60Hz... Duh, could that have something to do wuth it freezing, or would my monitor just blow?

endyen

Splendid
No the monitor would just not display, or you could see a bunch of very fast colored lines.
With dust, you get a leakage current through what is called carbon tracking. Electrons flow through the carbon in the dust to a dissimilar charge. Where you have an increased load (new cpu) the voltage drop caused by this can become very apparent. This can be seen as a black coal-like powder along traces and is most common around the cpu voltage regulators.

Titanion

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2002
Hmmmmmmm... I will take a look...

perhaps the old cpu did not push the 9100... i.e., bottlenect... (or cause all sorts of other stresses like the dust problem) but now the 2400 cpu gets rid of the bottleneck and the video card causes problems it did not before...

there is 512 MB of CL3 PC133 ram on this computer...

my bios does not give me a chance to disable fast write... in an old system like this one, what should be disabled in smartgart? I also installed Rage3DTweak, so I can adjust settings there, too...

I am going to build him a new computer based on ABIT NF7... and a 9800 Pro (already ordered from newegg) but if I cannot get this cpu to work in this Matsonic 8308EP (266) computer, he will be stuck with that 2400+ cpu at 150x15 instead of a Barton somewhere around 200x11... that would suck having Corsair DDR 400 ram running at 150! Although it will still play games well!

Titanion

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2002
there is no better ram for this computer... it only takes 2 sticks of 168 pin ram...

the new ram is for a new computer, not this old POS... the 2400 was meant for this thing running ar a 133fsb with no option for overclocking...

endyen

Splendid
That board uses the sis single chip chipset. It was great for running the cpu cool, but for some reason, it was hell on psus. A true 350 watt is generally suggested. The 320 that you had laying around may not be up to the task. (unless it's a fortron or some other good brand)

Titanion

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2002
hey... really... does a 2400+ make that much of a difference over a 1900+... an ATI 9100, one cd-rom, one 30GB HDD, and a couple 80mm fans... and that is about it on this computer... I will test the 400W psu on it that I ordered for his new computer I am building... when it gets here...

BTW, I had that 320W psu on my SiS based ECS L7S7A2 with a 1700+ at a 195 fsb... running 4 or 5 fans and a
GF4 Ti 4200...

Titanion

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2002
you know, on my other computer, I might have only had it at about 167fsb and total speed at 1800 or so with the 320w psu... I think I got a stick of pc3200 and a 400w psu at the same time, so that 320w psu was not ever pushed as far as I thought... it was the 400w psu that was at 195fsb and 1950MHz total speed... but is 167fsb and 1800 less taxing than 133 and 2000?

What taxes a psu more, fsb speed or total cpu speed?

John Milton, <i>Paradise Lost</i>, Book II<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Titanion on 02/10/04 01:29 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Titanion

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2002
Please show me some love...

What taxes a psu more, fsb speed or total cpu speed?

Example 167fsb and total speed at 1800... i.e. overclocked 1700+

or

133fsb and total speed at 2000... i.e. 2400+

Could a 320w psu that ran the 1st just fine not run the 2nd?

endyen

Splendid
Bothe Bs, just barely possible, though a little unlikely. On the other hand, the psu was sitting idle for a while. Could it loose capacity while doing nothing? Yes. Could other factors be unknown? Yes. Since you do, or will have the ability to remove the psu as a problem, why not try it.

P4Man

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2004
Have a look here
<A HREF="http://www.matsonic.com/faqs/ms8308_series_faqs.htm" target="_new">http://www.matsonic.com/faqs/ms8308_series_faqs.htm</A>

Question:
MS8308EP support AMD XP CPU?
Answer:
Yes ! MS8308EP supports AMD XP CPU <b>up to 2000+</b>

I also don't see any Bios updates that would support more recent chips, so you may just be out of luck. try mailing matsonic to verify, but my guess is your MB just isnt compatible with the 2400+ Tbred.

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my wife. =

Spitfire_x86

Splendid
Jun 26, 2002
This board should support 2400+. Tbred "B" 2400+ and Palomino 1900+ uses nearly equal ammount of power. So it's not a power related issue. And his mobo can boot at the CPU at 2400+.

----------------
<b><A HREF="http://geocities.com/spitfire_x86" target="_new">My Website</A></b>

<b><A HREF="http://geocities.com/spitfire_x86/myrig.html" target="_new">My Rig & 3DMark score</A></b>

P4Man

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2004
Hmm.. doesnt Tbred B use a lower Vcore voltage as Palomino ? If so, equal power means higher current (Ampere) for the Tbred, which could very well explain the behaviour he is seeing.

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my wife. =

Titanion

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2002
OK, using a 400w psu still froze in 3DMark2001SE.... but get this, I found a virus on this computer that was using 99% of cpu resources... could this cause the 2400+ to freeze during 3DMark? The 1900+ did not freeze... I alreadt took the cpu out and bput the 1900 back in before discovering the virus... Halo was running like @##$, and I thought it was because I installed SP1, but then I found this virus, removed it, then all was good again...