Product key

Hey I lost my product key for windows xp proffessional, does anyone know how
I can retrieve it? It is installed on this comp right now. I have the
product ID number if that helps.
5 answers Last reply
More about product

    Go here:
    Near the bottom "View Product Key XP"

    --
    Jupiter Jones [MVP]
    http://www3.telus.net/dandemar

    http://belarc.com/free_download.html

    Otoko wrote:
    > Hey I lost my product key for windows xp proffessional, does anyone know how
    > I can retrieve it? It is installed on this comp right now. I have the
    > product ID number if that helps.

    The Windows 25-character Product Key (required to perform the
    installation) is stored on the CD packaging on a bright orange sticker
    that says "Do not lose this number." It is not on the installation CD
    in any way, shape, or form. If it was an OEM (factory installed)
    license, it's stored on a label that the PC manufacturer affixed to
    the exterior of the PC case, or on the bottom of a laptop.

    To recover a lost Product Key:

    If your system still runs, you should be able to use Belarc
    Advisor from http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html to find the
    Product Key. (If you have a factory-installed OEM license, and
    haven't since reinstalled the OS, the revealed Product Key is probably
    of the drive image used at the factory and not your specific Product
    Key; therefore, it probably cannot be -- and definitely should not
    be -- used for a re-installation.)

    If it was a retail license and you have proof of purchase:

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;en-us;326246

    If it was an OEM license, you should contact the computer's
    manufacturer; although very few manufacturers/vendors keep records of
    the Product Keys they've sold, it's worth a try before you have to buy
    a new license.

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you: