Product key

September 11, 2005 2:05:01 AM

Hey I lost my product key for windows xp proffessional, does anyone know how
I can retrieve it? It is installed on this comp right now. I have the
product ID number if that helps.

More about : product key

Anonymous
September 11, 2005 3:20:38 AM

Go here:
Near the bottom "View Product Key XP"

--
Jupiter Jones [MVP]
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar

"Otoko" <Otoko@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hey I lost my product key for windows xp proffessional, does anyone know
> how
> I can retrieve it? It is installed on this comp right now. I have the
> product ID number if that helps.
September 11, 2005 10:17:42 AM

http://belarc.com/free_download.html
"Otoko" <Otoko@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hey I lost my product key for windows xp proffessional, does anyone know
> how
> I can retrieve it? It is installed on this comp right now. I have the
> product ID number if that helps.
September 11, 2005 12:38:59 PM

Otoko wrote:
> Hey I lost my product key for windows xp proffessional, does anyone know how
> I can retrieve it? It is installed on this comp right now. I have the
> product ID number if that helps.

The Windows 25-character Product Key (required to perform the
installation) is stored on the CD packaging on a bright orange sticker
that says "Do not lose this number." It is not on the installation CD
in any way, shape, or form. If it was an OEM (factory installed)
license, it's stored on a label that the PC manufacturer affixed to
the exterior of the PC case, or on the bottom of a laptop.

To recover a lost Product Key:

If your system still runs, you should be able to use Belarc
Advisor from http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html to find the
Product Key. (If you have a factory-installed OEM license, and
haven't since reinstalled the OS, the revealed Product Key is probably
of the drive image used at the factory and not your specific Product
Key; therefore, it probably cannot be -- and definitely should not
be -- used for a re-installation.)

If it was a retail license and you have proof of purchase:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;en-us;326246

If it was an OEM license, you should contact the computer's
manufacturer; although very few manufacturers/vendors keep records of
the Product Keys they've sold, it's worth a try before you have to buy
a new license.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you: