Okay, I've seen a lot of questions regarding this bug, and it seems
that the typical response from tech-support folks has been correct, but
only to solve a completely, utterly different bug.

Here's the issue: I use Windows XP Home, updated to the latest SP and
patched with every patch Microsoft has released as of 10 September
2005. I have two optical drives, one a Khypermedia (?) DVD-RW, and the
other a CD-RW of unknown origins. At boot, I usually have a CD or DVD
in both drives, but sometimes I don't. When Windows XP finally
finishes booting, I see the CD or DVD icon, volume name and file list
of the disc in the drive at boot time. If I eject one of those and
insert a different CD, CD-RW, CD-R, DVD, DVD-R, DVD+R, or DVD-RW (this
happens with any of them) I see the icon, volume name and file list of
the previous disc in Explorer. (I use the regular "Open" command
rather than "Explore", and I don't use Folders View, so the solution
telling me to not use that wouldn't make any difference.) I can get
the file list to change if I refresh the window enough, but the icon
and volume name remain the same, and do so until I reboot the machine.
I do not know if the bug as experienced on my own machine applies to
all media, or just optical drives. It is worth noting, however, that I
have experienced this bug on both my computer here at home, several
computers at the college I attend, and two new laptops, all of which
have been updated to SP2 and every Windows patch as of this week.

I am aware that Microsoft has placed this seemingly widespread bug very
low on the list of things to fix, but if anyone knows of workarounds or
registry hacks that are NOT related to simply hitting F5 or not using
Folders View, I, like everyone else who has this bug, would be most
appreciative.

Thank you,
Chris Gregory

rujoking wrote:
> Okay, I've seen a lot of questions regarding this bug, and it seems
> that the typical response from tech-support folks has been correct,
> but only to solve a completely, utterly different bug.
>
> Here's the issue: I use Windows XP Home, updated to the latest SP and
> patched with every patch Microsoft has released as of 10 September
> 2005. I have two optical drives, one a Khypermedia (?) DVD-RW, and
> the other a CD-RW of unknown origins. At boot, I usually have a CD
> or DVD in both drives, but sometimes I don't. When Windows XP finally
> finishes booting, I see the CD or DVD icon, volume name and file list
> of the disc in the drive at boot time. If I eject one of those and
> insert a different CD, CD-RW, CD-R, DVD, DVD-R, DVD+R, or DVD-RW (this
> happens with any of them) I see the icon, volume name and file list of
> the previous disc in Explorer. (I use the regular "Open" command
> rather than "Explore", and I don't use Folders View, so the solution
> telling me to not use that wouldn't make any difference.) I can get
> the file list to change if I refresh the window enough, but the icon
> and volume name remain the same, and do so until I reboot the machine.
> I do not know if the bug as experienced on my own machine applies to
> all media, or just optical drives. It is worth noting, however, that
> I have experienced this bug on both my computer here at home, several
> computers at the college I attend, and two new laptops, all of which
> have been updated to SP2 and every Windows patch as of this week.
>
> I am aware that Microsoft has placed this seemingly widespread bug
> very low on the list of things to fix, but if anyone knows of
> workarounds or registry hacks that are NOT related to simply hitting
> F5 or not using Folders View, I, like everyone else who has this bug,
> would be most appreciative.

Do you have "Fireburner" installed? Uninstall it.

I'm supposing you mean this problem..
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314939

I am unsure if your problem is the same and if it is, this article would
indicate they believe the issue to be fixed in SP1.. So.....

Look for the key "AutoInsert" throughout your registry and make sure they
are all set to "1" and not "0".

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP