oarsome

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2004
I'm looking to piece together a new rig, and I was hopeing for your opinion. I'm a gamer and server host, I enjoy overclocking, but not to any extreme measures. Also I'm not into Intel

I'm torn between CPU's:
AMD 64 3200+ or/
any AMD XP

please post your case for your choice, thanks again

arussell

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2004
From what I have seen, the Athlon 64 obliterates the XP in all benchmarks and is more "future proof" due to 64-bitness.

On the other hand, if you want to save money, you can get a lower rated XP and overclock it as it OCs much better than the 64 but I would suspect it would be difficult for it to reach the speed of the 64.

System on the way:
Antec Sonata Case w/380W PSU
Athlon 64 3200+
MSI K8T Neo-FIS2R
1 GB Mushkin PC3500
Sapphire Radeon 9800PRO
WD Raptor 74 GB

Snaggle

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2003
both are locked,making overclocking limited;but the amd 64 is much superior now and with an nforce3 250 mobo will be even better(support for a hypertransport of 1000 instead of 800 and pci express and agp slots).

endyen

Splendid
Any of the xps should give you 2.2 gig speed. If the price difference makes any difference in graphics card quality, that would be the way to go. Buy the 9800XT first, then see how much you have left for cpu and mobo.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Right now you get a much better choice of motherboads with the XP and an nForce2 chipset board.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

TRENDING THREADS