Hard resets, pointers please?

kskerns

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2011
Well, I've reached the edge of my know-how. Hopefully someone can steer me in the right direction (or make recommendations for what to tell the professionals at a repair shop)! Thanks!

Rig:

Antec 183 v3 case, CP-850 power supply
Asus p8p67 pro motherboard
Intel i7 2600k chip, Cooler Master 212+ HSF
EVGA Superclocked GTX570
16g (4x4) G.Skill Ripjaw RAM
LG Optical drive
OCZ Vertex 3 SSD (OS/art applications)
WD Caviar Black HDD
Speakers, mouse keyboard etc
Acer monitor + Wacom Cintiq 21UX

Problems:

Common: Hard resets without warning or bluescreen or writing a minidump file. Error 41 "kernel power - computer was shut down without warning" written to event viewer.
When it happens: Seemingly randomly. Zero to three times a day. Only ever seems to happen to wife, remaining stable even as I use the machine all day or stay up late playing games. Still, doesn't seem to be tied to any set of programs - happens to her as she is using it to draw or animate with a variety of programs or even just as she watches Netflix with nothing else going.

Uncommon, unsure if related: Computer turns on but has no display from any port. Red "VGA" led on Motherboard is lit up.
When it happens: VERY occasionally - perhaps once or twice a month of regular use. Turning off and on doesn't necessarily fix the problem, but rain dances such as taking out and reseating the graphics card, blowing out all the dust filters, etc has made the problem magically disappear in the past.

---
Steps taken:

1) Reformat, installing same programs after. Virus scans, driver updates, etc.
2) MEMtest pass
3) ASUS onboard diagnostics - heat is consistently in low 20s/low 30s. ASUS utility stress tests to RAM, HDD, GPU etc all come up good. Voltages are reading within good ranges.
4) Set up kernel or minidumps, which have not written.
5) Thorough cleaning / checking connections in machine.
6) Moving USB devices in case of bad ports.
7) Turning off all overclocking.
8) Trying to recreate conditions by running very heavy memory loads on all the programs wife uses regularly when it restarts - have never been able to make it restart.
9) Running in safe mode for extended periods of time, no resets. But running normally with games and a variety programs for extended periods of time also sometimes means no resets, so I'm not sure if safe mode proves anything.

----

No idea what to try next. Feels like a hardware issue, but a fairly new machine built with quality parts, and its ability to run for days with no ill effects, make serious hardware problems feel unlikely.

If you have any ideas, please toss 'em out! If this needs to go to a professional so they can do hardware testing, can you recommend what I should tell them to point them in the same direction so I don't accrue huge labor costs on tests that turn up nothing?

Thanks!
Ken K

G

Hi there. I went on Google and tried researching the issue you're having. These are the websites I found:

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/303268-31-p8p67-hangup-newbuild-problem

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1581490

http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx?board_id=1&model=P8P67+PRO&id=20110130021416113&page=1&SLanguage=en-us

http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/969809-strange-occurance-during-POST-on-my-asus-p8p67-pro

The first one is here on Tom's. PaddyG said his vga led issue was related to audio over hdmi on his 5870. I know the 570 supports audio over hdmi, but i'm not sure if you're using it. He said removing that option cleared his issues, of course he has an AMD card and yours is NVIDIA, so i'm not sure if it will work for you.

On Hardforum, Palms tried switching out ram and video cards but nothing worked. He also tried the " Mem ok switch" on the motherboard which apparently selects optimal settings in an attempt to see if it resolved the issue by testing the ram, but it looks like it failed.

On the Asus forum, it seems that the issue points to a bad M/B as the culprit and once the users received their RMA's, they worked fine.

I was reading around some others sites and some users mentioned that this board had technically been recalled. It might be that this is the case and if you got it recently and can still RMA it, they might send you a whole different board. It's worth a try.

kskerns

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2011
@bubblehead
http://imgur.com/RUVEy no way to see voltages when things go boink, but things are stable moment-to-moment. Everything is on auto, so I do have the option of manually tweaking voltage up (I have no experience doing so, of course). Powerful, component PSU means I probably have options as far as wiring as well. Have not tried that.

@ikaz
I've wondered about vid card. I have no alternative to try and the mobo does not have its own ports to try to use the onboard video. Now if only a spare grand would fall in our laps so I could build a new machine and try swapping cards or PSUs.

Thanks for the help, everyone!

kskerns

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2011
Wow, thanks for doing so much research! I think I might have struck upon a couple of those myself while flailing =)

I have not fiddled with any audio-over-hdmi, so I can't say either way on that. Neither monitor supports audio and I get my sound from standard audiojacks/speakers or headphones. Might be worth looking into anyway.

Motherboard is not new (about a year and a half, I'd estimate) and I'm not sure about recalls but it IS the second version p8p67 pro with B3 Stepping. I know a bunch of the original set had been recalled because of issues with the southbridge or... something. This board. http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_1155/P8P67_PRO/

I'll do some poking on wiring, graphics card, and such. Thanks again for all the replies.

kskerns

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2011
Still have to try rewiring but the recommended driver stuff / mem ok stuff apparently is not working. Wish I knew a way to figure out whether it's the mobo, graphics, or psu I should be trying to RMA ><

Of course, just to keep me guessing, it worked all day and night yesterday. Gotta hate those unreliable crashes.

Anyone have further thoughts?