Win XP SP2 on Dells - when?

Anybody know when Microsoft is releasing SP2 to Dell? I'd much rather buy a new
machine with the massive update already installed than buying now and having to
go through it later...as long as Microsoft doesn't delay the release date too
much longer.

BT
7 answers Last reply
More about dells when

    No release date for SP2 other than Mid 2004:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows/lifecycle/servicepacks.mspx

    Many speculate otherwise including dates already past and yet to come.
    However Microsoft will not set a firm date.
    RC2 is due almost any time and it will likely be a few months after
    that before the final release of SP2.
    The major OEMs often get these slightly before everyone else.

    --
    Jupiter Jones
    Check the following link for some great problem solving newsgroups.

    In article <8ERtc.39779$lo2.911@news20.bellglobal.com>,
    nospam@nospam.net says...
    > Anybody know when Microsoft is releasing SP2 to Dell? I'd much rather buy a new
    > machine with the massive update already installed than buying now and having to
    > go through it later...as long as Microsoft doesn't delay the release date too
    > much longer.
    >
    > BT

    Why is the SP2 update for a Dell any different than any other pc? Just
    curious.
    --
    Cheers!

    Jan

    It's not. SP2 is SP2.

    It's just not out yet.
    "Jan" <myredsunfire@shaw.ca> wrote in message
    > In article <8ERtc.39779$lo2.911@news20.bellglobal.com>,
    > nospam@nospam.net says...
    > > Anybody know when Microsoft is releasing SP2 to Dell? I'd much rather
    buy a new
    > > machine with the massive update already installed than buying now and
    having to
    > > go through it later...as long as Microsoft doesn't delay the release
    date too
    > > much longer.
    > >
    > > BT
    > >

    > Why is the SP2 update for a Dell any different than any other pc? Just
    > curious.
    > --
    > Cheers!
    >
    > Jan

    Jan;
    It isn't.
    It will be exactly the same with the only legal and safe download from
    Microsoft regardless the source of your computer.

    --
    http://support.microsoft.com/newsgroups/default.aspx
    http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/

    "Jan" <myredsunfire@shaw.ca> wrote in message
    > Why is the SP2 update for a Dell any different than any other pc?
    Just
    > curious.
    > --
    > Cheers!
    >
    > Jan

    In article <CO4uc.6464$ig5.459@edtnps89>, jones_jupiter@hotnomail.com
    says...
    > Jan;
    > It isn't.
    > It will be exactly the same with the only legal and safe download from
    > Microsoft regardless the source of your computer.

    Thanks - I am getting a new Dell next week and so the dumb questions :-)

    "BT" <nospam@nospam.net> wrote:

    >Anybody know when Microsoft is releasing SP2 to Dell? I'd much rather buy a new
    >machine with the massive update already installed than buying now and having to
    >go through it later...as long as Microsoft doesn't delay the release date too
    >much longer.

    When they "release" SP2 to Dell is not the question you need to
    be asking. When will Dell include SP2 in the XP Home/Pro
    installations on their new computers is what you want to know.
    IME, it will be sometime after SP2 has been made available to the
    public via the MS web site, etc. When I bought my Dell, SP1 had
    been out for a few weeks. The XPPro that was installed on that
    Dell did not include SP1, nor several other "critical security"
    updates. I don't know how often Dell runs the Windows CDs they
    include with your Dell computer, but the computer can't have
    SPwhatever, nor other "critical security" updates, on it if the
    accompanying CD doesn't have them. Dell will have an inventory
    of such CDs that must be exhausted, or discarded, before they can
    start putting an SPx updated version of XP on their computers.

    Final note. Remember we are only twenty-somthing days before the
    end of Spring, 2004, which is when MS originally said SP2 would
    be released. Add to that fact, I, like many others, waited a
    while before ever installing SP1, allowing for the mass of
    reported bugs to be cleared. Now, how do you define "much
    longer" - until MS actually releases it?, until Dell starts
    including it on their new machines?, or when the majority of the
    initial bugs have been corrected in SP2?
    --
    OJ III
    [Email sent to Yahoo address is burned before reading.

    SP1 is not that bad with the Windows Security Update CD available for
    free almost everywhere:
    http://www.microsoft.com/security/protect/cd/order.asp
    SP2 will most likely be available on CD.
    Exact distribution paths have yet to be finalized.

    --

    "S.Lewis" <stew1960@mail.com> wrote in message news:kIRuc.15672
    > The self-extractor for XP SP2 is over 273mb. (alpha)
    >
    > MS needs to find a way to address all these updates for people who
    aren't
    > able to connect with broadband. A formatted system with only
    dial-up right
    > now could take forever just to get current with SP1 and other
    updates -
    > let's not forget the 3-5 reboots along the way.
    >

    > Stew

Dell Microsoft Windows XP Computers