Cold start P.O.S.T vs. Warm Start P.O.S.T.

m1a2r3k4

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2002
Hey All,
I'm new to forums but need help. I have ABIT VT6X4 MB, Crucial PC133 (2 X 256), Pentium !!! 800, WINXP Pro. System will not boot from cold start (power on) but will boot (POST) from restart (softboot) everytime. Have Award BIOS so all I get is 1 long and 3 short beeps. This problem showed up out of no where several months ago. I've pulled everything except VGA, CPU, & PS to no avail. Have swapped mem and VGA card to no avail. Possibly a BIOS / OS conflict? I just don't know. It doesn't completely disable me but is very frustrating and annoying. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks ahead of time

CALV

Distinguished
May 17, 2001
hi, silly question, but if it wont cold boot, how do you do a reset if its not on to start with :)

Only joking, I know what you mean, I have the same problem (abit kt7araid) I dont know if it beeps coz I dont bother with the speaker in any of my systems, but, if I turn it on after its been on for a while, it is fine, if I then power off for any reason, then back on within a few seconds, it takes about 3 attempts to boot (may well be trying to beep) If I get chance later I'll look up the beep codes for ya.
You could always leave it on 24/7, dont have any probs then :)

If they squeeze olives to get olive oil, how do they get baby oil?

m1a2r3k4

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2002
Unfortunately, I believe with Award BIOS the beep code just says can't get to video card. I would think if there were a true problem it wouldn't boot with restart either. Also, I can warm boot (restart button) and everything's fine. I can even play Unreal Tournament to test VGA. And have had another VGA card in with same results. I do by the way leave it on most of the time but the principle and challenge is driving me to "fix it".

m1a2r3k4

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2002
Something else I've noticed in Event Viewer is: "AMLI: BIOS is attempting to write to an illegal IO portaddress oxcf8 which lies in oxcf8-oxcff protected address range. This could lead to system instability." This message is over my head.

Jusphil

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2001
What brand power supply are you using, how many watts does it supply, what kind of vga card are you using, is it power hungry? sounds like it would be worth looking into the reliability of your P/S.

CALV

Distinguished
May 17, 2001
Hi,
I also thought psu initially, but I have a 431W enermax, not the case in my case, I gave up bothering about it ages ago, annoying, but not fatal, bollox to it :)

m1a2r3k4

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2002
Hey jus,
Have a Radeon 7200 with 32mb DDR, and an off brand (Allied AL-A350ATX 350 W PSU). Didn't have any problems with WIN98SE, came with WINXP PRO. I have the error message I mentioned earlier that when I looked up on MS database said had to do with older BIOS but I don't quite understand and have not heard of or read about anywhere."AMLI BIOS attempting to write to an illegal IO port address 0XCF8 which lies in 0XCF8-0XCFF protected address range. This message in event viewer seems to coincide with cold start-up times.

CALV

Distinguished
May 17, 2001
I can go along with the bios idea to an extent, but as an avid overlcocker, I've tried every bios both official and unofficial- always same problem

TRENDING THREADS