When will P4 3.2 Extreme Edition prices drop?!

Muscl3s

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2003
Argh! I want to buy a P4 3.2 Extreme Edition but I refuse to pay 900+ bucks for a processor. Any ideas when the price will drop? I'd probably be willing to pay 450-500 or so but I doubt there are many people willing to pay over that for just a cpu.

Atolsammeek

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Grow a brian juin or is it in your rear still. One thing about chips is they go down in price. It take a few month or few weeks. They will go down you just have to watch for it.

P4Man

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2004
I agree with Juin -for once. P4EE's will remain terribly expensive, just like Athlon FXs. As faster versions get introduced, the older one's will be phased out, but not dropped in price by any significant ammount. P4EE is not a mainstream cpu, and never will be

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my wife. =

Coop

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2003
Indeed, i agree with Juin.
Intel did not intend to sell much P4 EE !
They just bring it out so Athlon64 would not rape the P4 line completely and intel knows everyone with a brain would never even consider a EE !

Come on, get real, Why in the hell would you consider a P4 ? Super Diehard Intel Fanboy ?
An Athlon64 is almost as fast ore faster runs way cooler, cheaper, and the most importend thing : ITS FUTURE PROOF !!!!! What the hell are you gonna do with your 1000$ CPU when everyone runs Windows XP 64 bit ? Come on lets face it, only an idiot would buy a P4 these days !

THG : The last 5-6 reviews have allways either had skewed results, or just somehow strangely come to a completly diferant conclusion then all of the other sites around.

Spitfire_x86

Splendid
Jun 26, 2002
Agree with juin

----------------
<b><A HREF="http://geocities.com/spitfire_x86" target="_new">My Website</A></b>

<b><A HREF="http://geocities.com/spitfire_x86/myrig.html" target="_new">My Rig & 3DMark score</A></b>

pitsi

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2003
I also agree with juin, but I disagree with P4Man about his comments for the Athlon FXs. Athlon FX-51 is this expensive because it is (practically) an Opteron 1xx. AMD never intended to sell high volumes of this chip, neither wanted to hurt the sales of 1xx Opterons. They only released it back in September, at A64's official launch, because releasing just the S754 A64 and saying that the "power" A64 will only be ready in Q2 2004 would be much more harmful to them, since the A64 was already a couple of years late.

Anyway, I believe that we will see lower prices on FXs when they are released on S939, along with cheaper mobos (it has something to do with the layer design the Opteron requires, I don't remember exactly). The only reason that I don't see prices coming too much down though, is because I don't see a 2.4GHz A64 FX have any real competition from Intel, so unless faster Prescotts are released to threaten the FX-53, then AMD will have no serious reason to bring the price down.

And don't anybody here mention the P4EE because I hardly considered a >$1000 CPU, a desktop product. IMO, only S*P*E*C*I*F*I*C people are justified to get this CPU, others who get it just for gaming for example or for bragging rights, are simply stupid.

P4Man

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2004
There is no difference in philosophy between the FX and P4EE that I can see. both will basically only be available in one, maybe 2 speedgrades, and will represent the fastest and therefore most expensive "desktop" cpu's of both manufacturers. Don't expect prices of either to drop below $700 or so. If you want something more affordable (and you do), you'll need to get a A64 or regular P4. The P4EE might be a bit more extreme in its pricing as the FX, but then the performance delta is also somewhat bigger between a P4 and a P4EE as between a A64 and a FX.

As for your comments about the FX being an opteron; sure, but the P4EE is a repackaged Xeon. What is the difference ?

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my wife. =

Mephistopheles

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2003
I don't think P4EE will drop to reasonable prices anytime soon.

I don't even think we'll be seeing buyable-priced FXs anytime soon either, for that matter. But I could be wrong. Even with S939. They might as well fade P4EEs and FXs out, for all I care. I won't buy any of those. I mean, P4EE is pathetically expensive, and here's nothing the FX-51 does that the 3400+ doesn't cover (or... OK, 99%). For a lot less.

<i><font color=red>You never change the existing reality by fighting it. Instead, create a new model that makes the old one obsolete</font color=red> - Buckminster Fuller </i>

addiarmadar

Distinguished
May 26, 2003
Not in a LOOOOOOOOONNNNG time.

Barton 2500+ @ 2200mhz (10x220 vcore @ 1.8)
Asus A7N8X Dlx 440 FSB
1gb Geil GD pc3500 Dual Channel (2-3-3-6)
Segata 80gb SATA 8.5ms seek
ATI Radeon 9800 Pro(420/720)

Muscl3s

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2003
Bummer. Not too long ago I bought a Asus P4C800-E mb. I don't want to have to buy another one for the A64 :( Guess I'm screwed.

Mephistopheles

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2003
Question: Will P4 3.2 Extreme Edition prices drop?
Answer: EU: <b>Extreme</b>ly Unlikely.

<i><font color=red>You never change the existing reality by fighting it. Instead, create a new model that makes the old one obsolete</font color=red> - Buckminster Fuller </i>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Telling someone else to grow a brain? You don't realize that Intel only plans to produce so few of these that they NEVER have to drop prices (they plan on running out of them first), and you want to insult someone else's inteligence?

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

endyen

Splendid
The FX 53 will still be opteron based, but will be more of a desktop cpu. The first fx was made on a server line, then modified. The next FX should be more mainstream massproduced. It was intended as a high end desktop part. When Intel got wind of it, they did thier own "majic" to have one to.

P4Man

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2004
Not really :) but after posting some 3000 posts by now, there is a good chance at least one of them will be true. Especially if its only 1 word. :p

ytoledano

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2003
I won't be surprised if never, remember the P3 Tualatin core processors? They're still pretty expensive and it's been years since they were introduced!

POST is way overrated, the black screen and beeps should be enough for most people.