Chris

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2003

My Windows XP Home Edition is not working properly. The problem is that
different parts of Windows do not work. The main example is Start\Search\For
Files or Folders. When I try to use this facility, the screen freezers and
comes up with “not responding”. I have tried leaving it for up to 30 mins,
but it still doesn’t work.

I have followed instructions for Windows repair, but this has not fixed the
problem at all.

I run Norton Antivirus & firewall & Microsoft Antispyware software on my
computer, but whether this is activated or not doesn’t make any difference.

I am up to date with all Window Updates, so do not know what else to do.

I have read the other questions that people have raised, but so far no-one
has suggested a fix. I thought I would try raising the question again. Can
anyone please help me to clear up this problem.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;319949
page has basic info to reinstall search companion and some repair for it
tidbits but what are the other parts of windows that 'do not work'

> My Windows XP Home Edition is not working properly. The problem is that
> different parts of Windows do not work. The main example is
> Start\Search\For
> Files or Folders. When I try to use this facility, the screen freezers
> and
> comes up with "not responding". I have tried leaving it for up to 30
> mins,
> but it still doesn't work.
>
> I have followed instructions for Windows repair, but this has not fixed
> the
> problem at all.
>
> I run Norton Antivirus & firewall & Microsoft Antispyware software on my
> computer, but whether this is activated or not doesn't make any
> difference.
>
> I am up to date with all Window Updates, so do not know what else to do.
>
> I have read the other questions that people have raised, but so far no-one
> has suggested a fix. I thought I would try raising the question again.
> Can
> anyone please help me to clear up this problem.

Chris

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2003

Thanks for this - this appears to have sorted out the problem!

As for what else - the other main one is when using Windows media player to
watch DVD's, I can watch for about 10 - 20 mins, but then everything freezes
up. I have uninstalled Media player and loaded the latest version, but still
no joy.

> Thanks for this - this appears to have sorted out the problem!
>
> As for what else - the other main one is when using Windows media player
> watch DVD's, I can watch for about 10 - 20 mins, but then everything
> freezes
> up. I have uninstalled Media player and loaded the latest version, but
> still
> no joy.

Might try reinstalling or updating the driver for your dvd player ... also
while a dvd is actually running look in device manager for the !x errors

Chris

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2003

I will try that. Thank you for all your help.