Tech Bally Mr & Ms Pac-Man MPU problem

Last response: in Video Games
August 9, 2005 5:27:16 AM

I have a Bally Mr & Ms Pac-Man Pinball and it will not hold memory. The
battery has been replaced and the board cleaned so thats not the issue I
don't think. For some reason I can set settings and clear bookkeeping but It
will not remember anything I have done. If I let it sit a short time and
turn it back on everything I have changed is gone and it will add
bookkeeping amounts from out of the blue. Have no idea what else it could be
any help would be great!
Also I have a baby pac-man doing sort of the same thing. I will clear the
High scores and bookkeeping and they will come back. Sometimes the high
scores have numbers in them that should'nt be there like a 2 at the end.
Nothing scores 2 points on this game. Also the intials for the high scores
have numbers in them and you can only add letters for the high score so not
sure whats up with that either. Let me know if anyone can help

Bud
Anonymous
August 9, 2005 5:27:17 AM

Try measuring the voltage at the 5101 (U8) pin 22 when the machine is
turned -off-. Should be about 3.6 volts.

Check connections at R12 and the batteries. And as other poster said -
verify polarity of the batteries.

-- Ed

"Bud Klass" <budklass@sprynet.com> wrote in message
>I have a Bally Mr & Ms Pac-Man Pinball and it will not hold memory. The
> battery has been replaced and the board cleaned so thats not the issue I
> don't think. For some reason I can set settings and clear bookkeeping but
> It
> will not remember anything I have done. If I let it sit a short time and
> turn it back on everything I have changed is gone and it will add
> bookkeeping amounts from out of the blue. Have no idea what else it could
> be
> any help would be great!
> Also I have a baby pac-man doing sort of the same thing. I will clear the
> High scores and bookkeeping and they will come back. Sometimes the high
> scores have numbers in them that should'nt be there like a 2 at the end.
> Nothing scores 2 points on this game. Also the intials for the high scores
> have numbers in them and you can only add letters for the high score so
> not
> sure whats up with that either. Let me know if anyone can help
>

> Bud

Anonymous
August 9, 2005 5:52:00 AM

Just a thought, but are you sure you have the polarity of the batteries and
the diode-protected battery pack correct on the MPU board? And are the
batteries confirmed to be fully charged (with a meter or battery tester)?

The jumbled high scores on BPM are the result of not saving your real high
scores with your battery backup. They can be reset through the on-screen
menus and will fill up with the correct scores as you play the game.

Hope this helps.

"Bud Klass" <budklass@sprynet.com> wrote in message
>I have a Bally Mr & Ms Pac-Man Pinball and it will not hold memory. The
> battery has been replaced and the board cleaned so thats not the issue I
> don't think. For some reason I can set settings and clear bookkeeping but
> It
> will not remember anything I have done. If I let it sit a short time and
> turn it back on everything I have changed is gone and it will add
> bookkeeping amounts from out of the blue. Have no idea what else it could
> be
> any help would be great!
> Also I have a baby pac-man doing sort of the same thing. I will clear the
> High scores and bookkeeping and they will come back. Sometimes the high
> scores have numbers in them that should'nt be there like a 2 at the end.
> Nothing scores 2 points on this game. Also the intials for the high scores
> have numbers in them and you can only add letters for the high score so
> not
> sure whats up with that either. Let me know if anyone can help
>

> Bud

August 10, 2005 7:39:29 AM

Ed, thanks for the help here is what I came up with.
The batteries are reading about 4.8 volts at the neg on the board and before
the diode thats installed between the pos wire going to the board. After the
diode at the board its reading 5.39 volts this is with the power on. I had
these boards repaired by someone and the put a 3 aa battery holder with two
leads going to the board with a diode between the Pos wire going to the
board and going back to the battery holder. Does all this sound right? I
think its a N4001 diode with the band toward the battery holder. Let me know
if all seems right because its still not working right,

Bud

"GPE" <See_my_website_for_email@cox.net> wrote in message

> Try measuring the voltage at the 5101 (U8) pin 22 when the machine is
> turned -off-. Should be about 3.6 volts.
>
> Check connections at R12 and the batteries. And as other poster said -
> verify polarity of the batteries.
>
> -- Ed
>

> "Bud Klass" <budklass@sprynet.com> wrote in message
> >I have a Bally Mr & Ms Pac-Man Pinball and it will not hold memory. The
> > battery has been replaced and the board cleaned so thats not the issue I
> > don't think. For some reason I can set settings and clear bookkeeping
but
> > It
> > will not remember anything I have done. If I let it sit a short time and
> > turn it back on everything I have changed is gone and it will add
> > bookkeeping amounts from out of the blue. Have no idea what else it
could
> > be
> > any help would be great!
> > Also I have a baby pac-man doing sort of the same thing. I will clear
the
> > High scores and bookkeeping and they will come back. Sometimes the high
> > scores have numbers in them that should'nt be there like a 2 at the end.
> > Nothing scores 2 points on this game. Also the intials for the high
scores
> > have numbers in them and you can only add letters for the high score so
> > not
> > sure whats up with that either. Let me know if anyone can help
> >

> > Bud

Anonymous
August 10, 2005 7:39:30 AM

Bud,

Regarding "4.8 volts at the neg" part of it. I'm not sure you mean by that.
Did you measure any voltages with the machine turned off? With meter ground
lead to ground and meter positve lead to pin 22 of the 5101?

You have the diode on the positive lead of the battery holder - as expected.
This means you are using non-rechargeables (i.e. Alkaline's). To do this,
the 1N4001 blocking diode must have the band oriented towards the CPU board
and away from the battery holder -- and must be on the battery holder's
positive lead.

!