Dual core processors and Windows XP

john

Splendid
Aug 25, 2003

I just built a new system using the Intel D 820 CPU (2.8GHz Pentium 4
dual core). The system is running fine with Windows XP Pro, but I have
several questions concerning the way the dual core CPU interacts with
the operating system:

1. Is there any utility in Windows XP that will show me which processes
are running in each core? I was hoping TaskManager would do this but it
doesn't.

2. Is it possible to control which processes run in each core?

3. If there is nothing in Windows XP for 1. and 2., is there any other
software available for use with XP which can do these things?

4. How does the system normally assign processes to each core?

Thanks!

John
--
Please reply in this newsgroup. I never post my true
email address to prevent spam. Thank you.

"In order to take advantage of the trend toward dual and multi core processors,
software developers should multi-thread their applications and could use,
for example, processor detection APIs to determine how many threads to
launch in an application to maximize the use of all available physical and logical
processors."
http://www.intel.com/cd/ids/developer/asmo-na/eng/200677.htm?page=4

Multi-Core Systems
http://www.intel.com/cd/ids/developer/asmo-na/eng/200677.htm?page=2