files and settings transfer wizards "file contains no stor..

September 11, 2005 10:07:01 AM

Hello everyone,

Ive been having a few problems with my laptop(xphome), so i decided to
format the hard drive and reinstall windows, before i did this i ran the
files and settings transfer wizard to save file and settings which i saved
onto a networked drive (peer to peer network, other machine is running xp
pro) i am now trying to use the wizarrd again to move everything back to my
laptop and when i find the folder USMT2.UNC i click on this,ok and click
next, at the point i receive a messg saying "the location that you specified
does not contain stored information ", im getting a bit worried now as i
tried to run the wizzard on the xp pro machine just to se if it worked but it
cam up with the same messg, if anyone has any ideas i would greatly
appreciate it (i last uninstalled windows in february and transferd
everything on to my mp3 player, i had no problems then)

Just a small point before i uninstalled i was using sp2 and had download the
64bit update for file and settings trans wizard, obviously now the laptop is
running xp without SP2 and the 64 bit update, could this be the reason,
Anonymous
September 11, 2005 1:10:16 PM

Copy the USMT2.UNC folder to your desktop and try again.

1. After you have installed XP and your programs, open the
Files & Settings Transfer Wizard and select "New Computer".
2. Select "I don't need the Wizard Disk......"
3. Browse to your CD Drive and insert the CD containing the
"USMT2.UNC" file.
4. Your Files and Settings will begin installing on the new drive.

Note:

The .DAT file within the USMT2.UNC folder should be named IMG00001.DAT
There should also be a file named "status". If you have these two files within
the USMT2.UNC folder, you should only browse to the "USMT2.UNC" folder
when using the wizard.

==> Make sure your IMG00001 file is properly named: IMG00001.DAT

You need to browse to the location of the "USMT2.UNC" folder. Do not browse
to or select the IMG00001.DAT file, only the USMT2.UNC folder itself.

For example, my location is: C:\Old Computer Files\Transfers\USMT2.UNC

HOW TO: Use Files and Settings Transfer Wizard in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;293118&Product=winxp

List of Programs Whose Settings Are Migrated When You Use
the Files and Settings Transfer Wizard
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;[LN];304903

Files and Settings Transfer Wizard
http://aumha.org/win5/a/fast.htm

Dealing with corrupt Files and Settings Transfer Wizard (F.A.S.T) image
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/fast.htm

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"Mark" wrote:

| Hello everyone,
|
| Ive been having a few problems with my laptop(xphome), so i decided to
| format the hard drive and reinstall windows, before i did this i ran the
| files and settings transfer wizard to save file and settings which i saved
| onto a networked drive (peer to peer network, other machine is running xp
| pro) i am now trying to use the wizarrd again to move everything back to my
| laptop and when i find the folder USMT2.UNC i click on this,ok and click
| next, at the point i receive a messg saying "the location that you specified
| does not contain stored information ", im getting a bit worried now as i
| tried to run the wizzard on the xp pro machine just to se if it worked but it
| cam up with the same messg, if anyone has any ideas i would greatly
| appreciate it (i last uninstalled windows in february and transferd
| everything on to my mp3 player, i had no problems then)
|
| Just a small point before i uninstalled i was using sp2 and had download the
| 64bit update for file and settings trans wizard, obviously now the laptop is
| running xp without SP2 and the 64 bit update, could this be the reason,
September 11, 2005 1:51:05 PM

Hi Again all,

thanks for all the advice so far, its still not working though, ive had a
read through a few posts on this subject and everyone seems to have just two
files in the USMT2.UNC folder Status & IMG00001.DAT but my USMT2.UNC folder
also has a IMG00002.DAT folder, but the weirdest thing of all is that about
two weeks ago i ran the wizard, storred the file on a network drive because i
was planning to uninstall the and ive tried to use that one and that one
doesnt work either, i dont think im doing anything wrong and i can see it
being very likley for both the wizard i ran 2 weeks ago and the one i ran
today being corrupt so the only thing i think now is that maybe its not
working because my windows is not up to date yet? anyone got any ideas?
"Mark" wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>
> Ive been having a few problems with my laptop(xphome), so i decided to
> format the hard drive and reinstall windows, before i did this i ran the
> files and settings transfer wizard to save file and settings which i saved
> onto a networked drive (peer to peer network, other machine is running xp
> pro) i am now trying to use the wizarrd again to move everything back to my
> laptop and when i find the folder USMT2.UNC i click on this,ok and click
> next, at the point i receive a messg saying "the location that you specified
> does not contain stored information ", im getting a bit worried now as i
> tried to run the wizzard on the xp pro machine just to se if it worked but it
> cam up with the same messg, if anyone has any ideas i would greatly
> appreciate it (i last uninstalled windows in february and transferd
> everything on to my mp3 player, i had no problems then)
>
> Just a small point before i uninstalled i was using sp2 and had download the
> 64bit update for file and settings trans wizard, obviously now the laptop is
> running xp without SP2 and the 64 bit update, could this be the reason,
September 11, 2005 9:03:28 PM

Hi, other than that try pointing the wizard at the folder one above the
usmt2.unc. I've just had to do that with my X64 installation....
ChrisC

!