  • Video Games
Last response: in Video Games
Share
August 9, 2005 1:24:05 AM

Hello,

I was having problems with my clock on Twilight Zone locking up during a
game so I bought and installed a replacement clock board set from Pinball
Lizard. Unfortunately, I am still having problems.

The clock lights up fine and when the game is powered up will go forward two
hours and back to noon, but at certain times in the game the clock will just
freeze up. It tries to move once or twice and then just stops. In the
clock test mode, the forward works fine (both fast and slow), but slow and
fast reverse do not work. When I cycle power on the game, it clears up the
problem. It seems to be an intermittent problem too. I can go a dozen
games with no problems or have the first ball of a game have the clock quit.

Any ideas on what the problem may be?

Thanks,
Eric

More about : tech clock problem

August 9, 2005 2:44:39 AM

>From your description, it sounds like intermittent connection issue. 2
small .100 IDC connectors on the bottom of the clock. Check and recheck
them carefully. Also, run the clock extensively in clock test when
doing that. Best of luck.

Adi
www.txpinball.com

Eric wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I was having problems with my clock on Twilight Zone locking up during a
> game so I bought and installed a replacement clock board set from Pinball
> Lizard. Unfortunately, I am still having problems.
>
> The clock lights up fine and when the game is powered up will go forward two
> hours and back to noon, but at certain times in the game the clock will just
> freeze up. It tries to move once or twice and then just stops. In the
> clock test mode, the forward works fine (both fast and slow), but slow and
> fast reverse do not work. When I cycle power on the game, it clears up the
> problem. It seems to be an intermittent problem too. I can go a dozen
> games with no problems or have the first ball of a game have the clock quit.
>
> Any ideas on what the problem may be?
>
> Thanks,
> Eric
August 9, 2005 8:19:52 AM

Mine had that and I finally solved it by getting rid of the
insulation-displacement connectors (IDC) under the clock and putting in the
crimp-type connectors. Lots of little wires to strip & crimp, a few have to
be soldered to satisfy the 2-in-1 pin requirement. But it has been
perfectly reliable ever since (about 2 years ago).

-JB

"Eric" <estrangeway@NOcharter.SPAMMERSnet> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> I was having problems with my clock on Twilight Zone locking up during a
> game so I bought and installed a replacement clock board set from Pinball
> Lizard. Unfortunately, I am still having problems.
>
> The clock lights up fine and when the game is powered up will go forward
two
> hours and back to noon, but at certain times in the game the clock will
just
> freeze up. It tries to move once or twice and then just stops. In the
> clock test mode, the forward works fine (both fast and slow), but slow and
> fast reverse do not work. When I cycle power on the game, it clears up
the
> problem. It seems to be an intermittent problem too. I can go a dozen
> games with no problems or have the first ball of a game have the clock
quit.

> Any ideas on what the problem may be?
>
> Thanks,
> Eric

August 9, 2005 12:39:23 PM

"Eric" <estrangeway@NOcharter.SPAMMERSnet> wrote in message
> It seems to be an intermittent problem too. I can go a dozen
> games with no problems or have the first ball of a game have the clock
quit.

> Any ideas on what the problem may be?

Easy things first. Disconnect and reconnect the connectors on the clock
motor board under the playfield. Worked for me. While you're at it, also
check that the two connectors under the clock housing are firmly connected.

--Jarkko
(please remove .nospamplease and .invalid if you reply by email)
August 10, 2005 12:09:46 AM

Did you replace the entire IDC connector or did you just remove the IDC pins
and replace them with crimp-on pins?
thanks,
Eric
"JB" <jb@video_REMOVE_THIS_engine.com> wrote in message
> Mine had that and I finally solved it by getting rid of the
> insulation-displacement connectors (IDC) under the clock and putting in
the
> crimp-type connectors. Lots of little wires to strip & crimp, a few have
> be soldered to satisfy the 2-in-1 pin requirement. But it has been
> perfectly reliable ever since (about 2 years ago).
>
> -JB
>
> "Eric" <estrangeway@NOcharter.SPAMMERSnet> wrote in message
> > Hello,
> >
> > I was having problems with my clock on Twilight Zone locking up during a
> > game so I bought and installed a replacement clock board set from
Pinball
> > Lizard. Unfortunately, I am still having problems.
> >
> > The clock lights up fine and when the game is powered up will go forward
> two
> > hours and back to noon, but at certain times in the game the clock will
> just
> > freeze up. It tries to move once or twice and then just stops. In the
> > clock test mode, the forward works fine (both fast and slow), but slow
and
> > fast reverse do not work. When I cycle power on the game, it clears up
> the
> > problem. It seems to be an intermittent problem too. I can go a dozen
> > games with no problems or have the first ball of a game have the clock
> quit.
> >
> > Any ideas on what the problem may be?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Eric

August 10, 2005 7:48:52 AM

No, I cut the wires right at the IDC (marking down which ones went to which
pins beforehand, of course) and re-did the entire connector with new parts
obtained from Mouser. That's new housings, new trifurcon crimp-pins and
some heat-shrink tubing for the solder connections.

!