no properties for folder

namek0

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2002
I know this isn't the place to post about a Windows xp problem, but this is a problem that is getting VERY annoying.

Out of nowhere a weird problem occurred. I can still right click and do properties on a regular file like a movie, word doc, text file, etc just fine. If I do it on a folder, any folder, it just sits there and hangs, no hd activity period.

What in the world could be causing this, this is really annoying. Here's my computer info:

windows xp pro
athlon xp 1700+ @ 2.09ghz
512 pc2700 ram
120gig ibm hd & 80gig wd hd
etc etc etc...

It's all good ^_^

endyen

Splendid
I'm going to guess that your oc has corrupted the explorer file. Could be some other file, but that's not important. You can use an old restore point or do a repair using the xp disk. You may want to keep a closer eye on your cpu temps.

P4Man

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2004
shouldnt be hard to gues:
<b>>athlon xp 1600+ @ 2.09ghz</b> That is a 50% overclock !

So you thought cause it boots into windows, its a stable overclock or what ?

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my wife. =

namek0

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2002
Hey, don't go jumping to conclusions so quickly. I've had this beast o/c for 4 months now, and as many reviews would show (especially on newegg and overclockers.com) this is a cpu that is famous for it's crazy overclocking potential. I have ran everything from the most demanding of games to visual basic to tons of other programs just fine.

And for the record, I tried turning it back to stock (which was an ego blow, lol) and it did the same thing. And also for the record, my temps have never broken 48 Celsius, and idles around 43 (I'm using a falconrock fan/heatsink) This computer is on virtually 24/7 except for an occasional restart

I am willing to try anything to avoid having to format/reinstall windows all over again.

thanks

It's all good ^_^

Rob423

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2002
lmao

Asus A7N8X Deluxe
80gb Maxtor
200gb WD 8mb cache..
Lian-Li PC-60
Lite-On 52X
AMD XP2800+
LeadTek GeForce 4 Ti4200 w/vivo 128mb 8x
Hitachi CML174
1 GB Corsair XMS PC3200 Cas2

redface

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2003
1. I hate IBM hdds. too fragile.
2. What is the FSB you're operating under?
3. The PCI freq. you're operating under.
4. Sucessful O/C does not equal stability. O/Cing too much and you risk corrupting your files/system that is why businesses do not o/c their machines.

A fine day!

namek0

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2002
1. me too, but I got a STEAL on it, heheh
2. 333 (166 doubled)
3. stock
4. I agree, to be honest I just don't want to go under the 2ghz barrier again, it's such a power trip :D

I'm going to try leaving my fsb the same and down the clock speed a good bit, then do an xp repair installation, I'll see what happens

thanks for the great feedback guys :)

It's all good ^_^

endyen

Splendid
If you dont mind doing a windows repair periodicly and or having other files corrupted, stay with your present speed. File corruption is one of the expenses of ocing. For windows xp, a good restore point is your best option. Windows 98 made you re-install periodicly ocing or not. It is after all just a toy.Play, have fun.
On a more serious note, it could be your hdd is failing, are you getting any clicking noises from it?

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by endyen on 02/10/04 09:25 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

namek0

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2002
I still haven't gotten around to doing the repair yet, I've been at work and school for what is seems like 24/7. I found out another problem this morning too, I also can't right click and click sharing, it does nothing there too.

The hard drives are in tip top condition. Occasionally (like once every other day) when I access a big file the ibm makes a little "bum bum beep" sound, but my os isn't even installed on it. And on top of that, the sound doesn't sound physical, it sounds like a computer internal speaker or something

I'm almost glad this happened, because it made me realize how long it's been since I've backed anything up, and I've got a lot of crap too (most of 200 gigs are taken up by everything from .avi to .zip, haha)

It's all good ^_^

namek0

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2002
haha, yes!

It works, my computer now works a-ok. Initially the repair didn't do jack, but after a quick google search I've got it all fixed up. It kept giving me an error every time I'd boot up, so I searched on google and found out I had to install sr.inf manually. When I did that, after a quick restart, the sweetness began!

It's all good ^_^

P4Man

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2004
>It's all good ^_^

You mean you succesfully finished your thorough stresstesting which consists of right clicking folders to determine your computer is completely stable now ? :|

Its your rig, do with it whatever you like, but don't come crying to me when your registry or file allocation tables corrupts, and you lose your 200 gigs worth of data.

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my wife. =

namek0

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2002
hey, back off man, I never said that this was a stress test, simply a problem that has been solved.

a. I won't come crying to you
b. I've ran several benchmarks for multiple hours at a time, I'm compiled hundreds of visual basic programs, I've crunched away for hours on end for video applications, I've played countless stressful games, and after all that I rarely, and I stress RARELY ever have a problem. On top of that, my cpu temps are extremely low for such a massive overclock. Hell, my temps are lower than my roomates stock 2100+. I hate when people overuse the word stable. No computer is 100% stable, ever. My computer is as close as it'll ever be, with windows xp anyway. If it messes up once every 7 months (I said 4 months earlier, but I checked my invoices and apparently I've had this running for 7 months, time sure does fly,) that's fine with me. Besides a video card driver problem, this is the only real problem I've had with this rig.

I hate people who post on forums being all negative all the time, all your post is missing is a "stfu newb, go home to your mom's wal-mart hp" or some crap like that.

There's nothing cooler than going to a respected forum of a respected site I've frequented for a long time and getting treated like a 11 year old kid going into bios cranking up multipliers and bus speeds at random. C'mon, gotta have a little respect in this world. Don't get me wrong though P4Man, I respect the crap out of you, I've seen you post for a long time. It's probably just the 2.5 hours of sleep I'm running on (worked at 5:45am ah!) but I read your post during my break just now and it all but slapped me around

(I just realized I put 1600+ on my first post, it's actually a 1700+, B core, it's fixed now)

It's all good ^_^

P4Man

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2004
Its okay man, if you know what you are doing, are willing to take the risks, no problem. Enjoy the extra speed ;like I said, its your rig, and your data.

Its just that I get sick of all those people when someone asks for purchasing advice, then recommend "save $10 and get a slower XP 2xxx and overclock it to 2.xx GHz. easily !". then the noob that came here for advice tries it, doesnt know what he is doing, oviously doenst make backups (who does these days ?) and a week later you get all the "Help ! is my harddisk dead ?" "Help ! my AMD is unstable" "Help ! did I fry my cpu" threads. I'm not saying this aplies to you, but surely you get the picture.

Anyway, to each its own; but for me, even though I have backups, my data is worth a hell of a lot more than the $50 I'd save by picking a slower cpu and overclocking it. And I'll be caught dead before I recommend an overclcoked rig to a noob.

Finally, one thing about the "respect"; I'm sure you have a nice overclock there, and you may be a very respectable person, but overclocks don't earn my respect. I don't care if Fugger achieves 2 Ghz FSB speeds in vacuum chamber filled with freon, he'll always be a braindead moron for me. Overclocking is just a combination of luck, willingness to take risks, too much time, and in extreme cases like Fugger, too much money to burn. I very much respect the guys that design the hardware, not the one's that get lucky abusing it :)

namek0

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2002
Sorry for exploding earlier, this day has just gotten better and better :p

I found out what the actual problem was because my roomate had the exact same problem just now. Apparently, someone was on my computer (and then his) and when it booted up, they told zone alarm No to IIS (Internet Information Systems) and somehow it kept the computer from doing a few things, like checking properties of folders, hhaha.

For the record I didn't install IIS for the hell of it, a class I had required it. But get this, the IT guys knew how dangerous it was to have IIS installed so they told my teacher no when she asked to install it in the main labs, so she's basically said it's up to us to install it on our own computers, fun fun.

And I agree with you about the whole saving $50 thing, to tell you the truth I didn't build a computer intending to overclock it. I ran out of cash and borrowed 40 bucks off a friend to buy the cpu off newegg on sale. It was either that or wait 2 weeks for another paycheck. One thing led to another and I kept it

It's all good ^_^

FUGGER

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
You must care, You talk about me as if you are very jealous insde about what I do or you wouldn't care so much.

I am an Intel developer, I am paid to do what I do.

Money to burn... you seen that A64 death thread?

Lame insults is the best you can do, you got nothing on me punk.

<b>"You haven't proven anything that once 64-bit support comes out, it will perform even better." -EDEN</b>

P4Man

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2004
>You must care, You talk about me as if you are very jealous
>insde about what I do or you wouldn't care so much.

Oh .. sure man, I envy your 30.000+ 3Dmarks. It would make my life so complete.

>I am an Intel developer

Then your behaviour on forums like is is an embaressement to intel. I enjoy discussions and even regulary mail with a few other intel developpers, who's skills, knowledge and attitude I very much respect. But I already had about zero respect for you, and now I know intel actually employs you, I dispise your attitude even more. If an intel fanboy loves his favourite brand so much he likes posting anti AMD fud, then that is sad. But when an intel employee does that, it reflects *extremely* bad on both you and on your employer.

BTW, arent you guys obliged to put a disclaimer in your posts, something like "not talking for intel corporation" ?

>Money to burn... you seen that A64 death thread?

Exactly what I meant.

>Lame insults is the best you can do, you got nothing on me
>punk.

Look who is talking.

SoDNighthawk

Splendid
Nov 6, 2003
You do not need to go find .dll's or repair files 1 at a time.

In this case with minor Explorer issues there are more then a few ways to easily fix this issue. In old Win98 you could select to repair Explorer but In XP we do not have that option.

Since you have gone with this situation for some time now the Windows XP boot last good configuration option is also out.

I suggest that what you do is go to the Windows XP update site and download EVERY SINGLE WINDOWS UPDATE AVAILABLE even if you do not feel you need or want them.

In most cases the Windows site through the installation of the update files will in effect rewrite therefore repair corrupt Windows problems.

I have used this simple way to repair Windows problems more then a few times, the last time was my .net passport was corrupted and I simply went and yes I was lucky they had a .NET passport update after I ran the update everything was again fine.

Try doing all the Windows XP updates and post back and let me know if this solved your problems, I would not be surprised if it does not fix your problems.

If that solution does not work go online and download the full version Service Pack 1 For XP and re-install it over the old SP1 update it will only repair resolve issues as it installs and will not completely install.

If you have any games currently installed they might have to be removed and re-installed after the SP1 re-install as they can UN-HOOK some OpenGL and Direct Draw .dll's as some games AUTO configure to an OS at install.

If that is the case simply re-install your game or find and install update graphics drivers for your graphics card.

All these options are the most basic and easy repairs possible and in no way can they cause further system/OS problems at the very least they will restore the health to your OS.

After you get it apparently all working in good order run the crap out of your anti-virus scanners and see if you have some nasty piece of crap tearing your OS apart from the inside.

2 Handy applications free are AD-AWARE 6 and you can also do a full version anti-virus scan from PANDASOFT online

http://www.pandasoftware.com/activescan/

that will completely scan your system and it will free of charge KILL any virus or Trojan found and or Quarantine and further support you until the proper repair can be done.

Barton 3200+ 400MHz
A7N8X Deluxe
Liquid 12 Celsius
2x512 Crucial DDR 400 PC3200
GeForce FX5900
Two Maxtor 40Gig 8MB cach 7200rpm
SONY RW 52x/24x/52x
SONY DVD 16x/40x<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by SoDNighthawk on 02/13/04 05:53 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

FUGGER

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Who cares what I score in 3Dmark, get over it already. that sure makes for solid fugger bashing huh? Its a hobby and friendly competition for those of us with the resources, nothing more.

I do not work for Intel, I do not work for Intel, I do not work for Intel.

ROFL, you dont even know what an Intel developer is or does.

You think you are knowledgable, but obviously you are not. You are just a lame troll on THGF and if you want to keep up this lame bickering might I suggest you get some vasaline.

<b>"You haven't proven anything that once 64-bit support comes out, it will perform even better." -EDEN</b>