Low audio output

I am running XP Home SP2 with an SB Live! sound card.

In the past, I would normally keep the master volume control about 1/2
maximum
output because the sound would get extremely loud. Recently, and I don't
know why, the volume is not very loud with ALL volume sliders at max. I have
checked all the volume controls I can locate and set all sliders to max.
There is no physical volume control on the sound card itself. The sound card
is set to the proper configuration of speakers (5.1). Still, the sound is
not very loud. The sound files play and sound normal. It is just a problem
of volume. Even if I use the mixer to increase output gain, the sound is not
that loud.

This occurs with all types of sound files (.wav, MP3 and sound bites online)
and regardless of the audio player (WMP, MusicMatch, etc.).

I have the latest drivers from Creative and all the cables are seated well.
I find it unlikely the sound card is loose since the computer is in a
(ventilated) cabinet and rarely, if ever, moved.

I cannot place the exact time when the problem began so therefore it would
be difficult, at best, to undo any changes that may have caused it. I would
appreciate any advice on where to look for possible causes.

I am on the verge of "older" but it is unlikely my hearing is the entire
problem. Though, with some of the music played today, deafness would be a
blessing.

Thank you in advance.

Boog

Dev

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2001

/Boog/ said:

> I am running XP Home SP2 with an SB Live! sound card.
>
> In the past, I would normally keep the master volume control about 1/2
> maximum output because the sound would get extremely loud. Recently, and I don't
> know why, the volume is not very loud with ALL volume sliders at max. I have
> checked all the volume controls I can locate and set all sliders to max.
> There is no physical volume control on the sound card itself. The sound card
> is set to the proper configuration of speakers (5.1). Still, the sound is
> not very loud. The sound files play and sound normal. It is just a problem
> of volume. Even if I use the mixer to increase output gain, the sound is not
> that loud.
>
> This occurs with all types of sound files (.wav, MP3 and sound bites online)
> and regardless of the audio player (WMP, MusicMatch, etc.).
>
> I have the latest drivers from Creative and all the cables are seated well.
> I find it unlikely the sound card is loose since the computer is in a
> (ventilated) cabinet and rarely, if ever, moved.
>
> I cannot place the exact time when the problem began so therefore it would
> be difficult, at best, to undo any changes that may have caused it. I would
> appreciate any advice on where to look for possible causes.
>
> I am on the verge of "older" but it is unlikely my hearing is the entire
> problem. Though, with some of the music played today, deafness would be a
> blessing.

First thing...
Check that the speakers are plugged into the SPEAKER jack on the sound card,
and not LINE OUT, and that the jack is firmly seated.

--
For most XP answers and tweaks...
http://dougknox.com http://aumha.org