Horia

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2005

I have had many problems with my computer which i just bought, alongside a
copy of windows xp professional. I have tried many things to make the
computer work, out of which reformating the hardrive a couple of times. Now
that i have reformated again, I have to activate my windows copy. I've tried
to do so, but it says that I have reached my limit of activations for this
key. Does this mean i have to buy a whole new copy of windows xp
proffesional? Please reply. Thanks

In news:6717C7FE-048A-42DB-AAB1-8E5FB3AEA2DB@microsoft.com,
Horia <Horia@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:

> Now that i have reformated again, I have to activate
> my windows copy. I've tried to do so, but it says that I have
> reached
> my limit of activations for this key. Does this mean i have to
> buy a
> whole new copy of windows xp proffesional?

No, it doesn't mean that at all. You can reactivate as many times
as you need to or want to.

If activation over the internet fails, you are given an 800
number to call to activate. Just do so; it's quick and
easy--usually under five minutes.

Please reply to the newsgroup

If the internet activation procedure fails, then follow the procedure to "activate by phone".

How to activate Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307890

Description of Microsoft Product Activation
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;302806

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"Horia" <Horia@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I have had many problems with my computer which i just bought, alongside a
>copy of windows xp professional. I have tried many things to make the
>computer work, out of which reformating the hardrive a couple of times. Now
>that i have reformated again, I have to activate my windows copy. I've tried
>to do so, but it says that I have reached my limit of activations for this
>key. Does this mean i have to buy a whole new copy of windows xp
>proffesional? Please reply. Thanks

If the problems with your newly purchased computer are so serious that
you have had to reformat and reinstall Windows multiple times then I
think you need to identify the root cause of these problems so that
they do not continue to happen.

Note that when do a reformat and reinstall you are given 30 days to
activate. I suggest that you consider waiting at least 10 to 15 days
before activating in case you have to redo everything again.

But finding the cause(s) and fixing them should be your primary focus.
If you would like to post the particulars of any of these problems
back here, particularly ones that happen more than once, then you
should received some constructive suggestions on how to resolve them.

Good luck

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP