Asian Fonts in Explorer

I have installed all the Asian fonts included in the WinXP installation CD.
I have installed the fonts and use IME from OfficeXP.
Yet when I receive a file or install an application that is named in an
Asian character set the characters don't show in Windows Explorer. I jsut
get those square block character that tell you that characters aren't being
displayed, or sometimes no name before the delimiter, it just looks like
"___.jpg"

Is this because of my default system font? If I change my default font to
one of the Asian fonts will this resolve this? And are there fonts
(included with Windows) that I should not make my system default?

Lastly, is there any other solution short of installing a foreign language
version of XP (or demanding everyone use a Roman character set when they
send me files)?

TIA
1 answer Last reply
More about asian fonts explorer

    No no solution. Fact is, as Microsoft develops their operating systems and
    claim they are more and more dbcs enabled they aren't or they are for a
    short period then return to a potpourri of mush. What can I say? Yes if
    you want the Multi-Byte character sets so that you can use this technology
    over the long haul, then you'll need to use the specific OS. But remember
    these Op Sys's all have their flukes.

    I would not change the System fault. That could leave you in a very
    unstable state.

    What you are seeing is a result of the V(isual)B(asic) or VBA runtime
    inadequacy.

    --
    George Hester
    _________________________________
    "Vance McNeil" <exitao@telus.net> wrote in message
    > I have installed all the Asian fonts included in the WinXP installation
    CD.
    > I have installed the fonts and use IME from OfficeXP.
    > Yet when I receive a file or install an application that is named in an
    > Asian character set the characters don't show in Windows Explorer. I jsut
    > get those square block character that tell you that characters aren't
    being
    > displayed, or sometimes no name before the delimiter, it just looks like
    > "___.jpg"
    >
    > Is this because of my default system font? If I change my default font to
    > one of the Asian fonts will this resolve this? And are there fonts
    > (included with Windows) that I should not make my system default?
    >

    > Lastly, is there any other solution short of installing a foreign language
    > version of XP (or demanding everyone use a Roman character set when they
    > send me files)?
    >
    > TIA

Default Explorer Windows XP