I have installed all the Asian fonts included in the WinXP installation CD.
I have installed the fonts and use IME from OfficeXP.
Yet when I receive a file or install an application that is named in an
Asian character set the characters don't show in Windows Explorer. I jsut
get those square block character that tell you that characters aren't being
displayed, or sometimes no name before the delimiter, it just looks like
"___.jpg"

Is this because of my default system font? If I change my default font to
one of the Asian fonts will this resolve this? And are there fonts
(included with Windows) that I should not make my system default?

Lastly, is there any other solution short of installing a foreign language
version of XP (or demanding everyone use a Roman character set when they
send me files)?

TIA

No no solution. Fact is, as Microsoft develops their operating systems and
claim they are more and more dbcs enabled they aren't or they are for a
short period then return to a potpourri of mush. What can I say? Yes if
you want the Multi-Byte character sets so that you can use this technology
over the long haul, then you'll need to use the specific OS. But remember
these Op Sys's all have their flukes.

I would not change the System fault. That could leave you in a very
unstable state.

What you are seeing is a result of the V(isual)B(asic) or VBA runtime
inadequacy.

--
George Hester