I have a new Computer with XP Media Edition OS. Every time I boot up, when
my Windows Desktop screen launches I receive the following error message:
"Remind_XP.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry
for the inconvenience."

Remind_XP.exe is located in Windows\creator\ which is apparently the Windows
generic CD creator folder.

Using REGEDIT I found the offending line in the registry.

Question: What is the cause of this error message, and will removing this
line in the registry solve my problem?

If it's new, I wouldn't bother to trouble shoot it myself, I'd take it back
and tell them to replace it with one that works correctly on boot up. Or
give me a full refund so I can go elsewhere.

"saclarkdoc48" <saclarkdoc48@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a new Computer with XP Media Edition OS. Every time I boot up, when
> my Windows Desktop screen launches I receive the following error message:
> "Remind_XP.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry
> for the inconvenience."
>
> Remind_XP.exe is located in Windows\creator\ which is apparently the
> Windows
> generic CD creator folder.
>
> Using REGEDIT I found the offending line in the registry.
>
> Question: What is the cause of this error message, and will removing this
> line in the registry solve my problem?

Remind_XP.exe is a process belonging to the SoftThinks CD Creator CD/DVD
Writer amd serves as a reminder to register for full product support.
This is a non-essential process. Disabling or enabling this is down to
user preference
Remind_XP.exe is also a process which is registered as a Trojan.Win32.FTP.
Ref:-http://www.liutilities.com/products/wintaskspro/processlibrary/Remind_XP/

Suggestion:-Scan your system with latest virus definitioned antivirus,as
well as with spybot,search and destroy,CWShredder.
Run all of them in safe mode.

regards,
ssg MS-MVP