Any idea what this error message means

STOP: c0000135 (unable to locate components)
The application has failed to start because winsrv was not found.
Re-installing the application may fix the problem.

I got it on an old Thinkpad. Worth time or trouble to fix? How would I
reinstall the whole XP system? Can a non-techie deal with this? Take it
into the shop? Sell on eBay for parts?

nickravo wrote:
> STOP: c0000135 (unable to locate components)
> The application has failed to start because winsrv was not found.
> Re-installing the application may fix the problem.
>
> I got it on an old Thinkpad. Worth time or trouble to fix? How would I
> reinstall the whole XP system? Can a non-techie deal with this? Take it
> into the shop? Sell on eBay for parts?

When, exactly, do you get the error message? Which specific
application are you trying to run when the error message appears? Have
you tried reinstalling that application, as the error message advises?
Have you tried the recommended solution offered here:

You receive a "Stop: c0000135" and "winsrv was not found" error message
after you install Windows XP Service Pack 2
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;885523

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH

For some possible causes and remedies, see:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;885523

Doug Sherman
MCSE, MCSA, MCP+I, MVP