Is it XP Hom Ed, Dell laptops with only USB...

September 11, 2005 1:08:03 PM

....or HP? a very old blac/white and a lesser old color both parallel work
well w/IBM notebooks. The new Dell only has USB and the black/white works,
bute the color 820Cse would only print Internet documents but none that I
type in Word or Wordperfect. Why print one kind but not what I am typing?

More about : hom dell laptops usb

Anonymous
September 11, 2005 4:11:35 PM

Have you set the default printer inside WORD?

some support

"Helpless" <Helpless@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message
| ...or HP? a very old blac/white and a lesser old color
both parallel work
| well w/IBM notebooks. The new Dell only has USB and the
black/white works,
| bute the color 820Cse would only print Internet documents
but none that I
| type in Word or Wordperfect. Why print one kind but not
what I am typing?
September 11, 2005 6:32:03 PM

Yes, my black and white IS the default. The color 820Cse is the secondary
printer

"Jim Macklin" wrote:

> Have you set the default printer inside WORD?

> some support
> http://www.usdoj.gov/olc/secondamendment2.htm
>

> "Helpless" <Helpless@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> message
> | ...or HP? a very old blac/white and a lesser old color
> both parallel work
> | well w/IBM notebooks. The new Dell only has USB and the
> black/white works,
> | bute the color 820Cse would only print Internet documents
> but none that I
> | type in Word or Wordperfect. Why print one kind but not
> what I am typing?

Related resources
September 11, 2005 9:04:01 PM

Helpless wrote:

> ...or HP? a very old blac/white and a lesser old color both parallel
> work
> well w/IBM notebooks. The new Dell only has USB and the black/white
> works, bute the color 820Cse would only print Internet documents but
> none that I
> type in Word or Wordperfect. Why print one kind but not what I am
> typing?

Different printer drivers are used for Internet printing and regular
printing. See if there are any current printer drivers for your printer
on HP's website. If there are not, consider replacing the older printer
with one supported by your operating system.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com

Perhaps I did not make myself understood. It is not advise in what to
purchase, but how to get a printer that works fine with my IBM notebooks
(both with parallel connectors, one with Win98 the other with XP Pro) to
function with USB connectors in my new Dell laptop. And Oh, by the way, I got
a color printer with the Dell computer. In other words, three notebooks,
three printers. Two on a switch with parallel that I want to connect when I
need to USB (either individually or via UBS hub) to the new Dell. The much
older black and white works well, the 820Cse does not. Someone suggested a
docking station and that is probably best unless someone comes up with a
better solution. HP does not longer provide or supp;ort these drivers and MS
testing already suggested to leave the one that came with the system because
there is not another one.

"Malke" wrote:

> Helpless wrote:
>
> > ...or HP? a very old blac/white and a lesser old color both parallel
> > work
> > well w/IBM notebooks. The new Dell only has USB and the black/white
> > works, bute the color 820Cse would only print Internet documents but
> > none that I
> > type in Word or Wordperfect. Why print one kind but not what I am
> > typing?
>
> Different printer drivers are used for Internet printing and regular
> printing. See if there are any current printer drivers for your printer
> on HP's website. If there are not, consider replacing the older printer
> with one supported by your operating system.
>
> Malke
> --
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic!"
> MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

September 11, 2005 10:45:02 PM

Helpless wrote:

> Perhaps I did not make myself understood. It is not advise in what to
> purchase, but how to get a printer that works fine with my IBM
> notebooks (both with parallel connectors, one with Win98 the other
> with XP Pro) to function with USB connectors in my new Dell laptop.
> And Oh, by the way, I got
> a color printer with the Dell computer. In other words, three
> notebooks,
> three printers. Two on a switch with parallel that I want to connect
> when I
> need to USB (either individually or via UBS hub) to the new Dell. The
> much
> older black and white works well, the 820Cse does not. Someone
> suggested a docking station and that is probably best unless someone
> comes up with a
> better solution. HP does not longer provide or supp;ort these drivers
> and MS testing already suggested to leave the one that came with the
> system because there is not another one.
>
> "Malke" wrote:
>
>> Helpless wrote:
>>
>> > ...or HP? a very old blac/white and a lesser old color both
>> > parallel work
>> > well w/IBM notebooks. The new Dell only has USB and the
>> > black/white works, bute the color 820Cse would only print Internet
>> > documents but none that I
>> > type in Word or Wordperfect. Why print one kind but not what I am
>> > typing?
>>
>> Different printer drivers are used for Internet printing and regular
>> printing. See if there are any current printer drivers for your
>> printer on HP's website. If there are not, consider replacing the
>> older printer with one supported by your operating system.

If I understand you correctly, you have parallel port printers and your
Dell laptops do not have parallel ports. Either get a docking station
for your Dell laptops or buy a networked (ethernet) print server. We
use a little Linksys print server to attach an older parallel port
laser printer to the network at our school library. It was not very
expensive. You will need to install the print server drivers on your
laptops.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
"Don't Panic!"
MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User
September 12, 2005 12:39:07 AM

Thanks - just printed this chat with your suggestion in THAT printer and it
came out OK. It is just Word or Wordperfect documents that I am doing that
will not work unless I either highlight in color or sometimes select a
portion. Really unusual. But I will shop for both and see what reduces the
expense.

"Malke" wrote:

> Helpless wrote:
>
> > Perhaps I did not make myself understood. It is not advise in what to
> > purchase, but how to get a printer that works fine with my IBM
> > notebooks (both with parallel connectors, one with Win98 the other
> > with XP Pro) to function with USB connectors in my new Dell laptop.
> > And Oh, by the way, I got
> > a color printer with the Dell computer. In other words, three
> > notebooks,
> > three printers. Two on a switch with parallel that I want to connect
> > when I
> > need to USB (either individually or via UBS hub) to the new Dell. The
> > much
> > older black and white works well, the 820Cse does not. Someone
> > suggested a docking station and that is probably best unless someone
> > comes up with a
> > better solution. HP does not longer provide or supp;ort these drivers
> > and MS testing already suggested to leave the one that came with the
> > system because there is not another one.

> >> Different printer drivers are used for Internet printing and regular
> >> printing. See if there are any current printer drivers for your
> >> printer on HP's website. If there are not, consider replacing the
> >> older printer with one supported by your operating system.
> >>

> If I understand you correctly, you have parallel port printers and your
> Dell laptops do not have parallel ports. Either get a docking station
> for your Dell laptops or buy a networked (ethernet) print server. We
> use a little Linksys print server to attach an older parallel port
> laser printer to the network at our school library. It was not very
> expensive. You will need to install the print server drivers on your
> laptops.
>
> Malke
> --
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic!"
> MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

Anonymous
September 12, 2005 12:02:23 PM

On Sun, 11 Sep 2005 20:39:07 -0700, "Helpless"
<Helpless@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Thanks - just printed this chat with your suggestion in THAT printer and it
>came out OK. It is just Word or Wordperfect documents that I am doing that
>will not work unless I either highlight in color or sometimes select a
>portion. Really unusual. But I will shop for both and see what reduces the
>expense.
>
>"Malke" wrote:
>
>> Helpless wrote:
>>
>> > Perhaps I did not make myself understood. It is not advise in what to
>> > purchase, but how to get a printer that works fine with my IBM
>> > notebooks (both with parallel connectors, one with Win98 the other
>> > with XP Pro) to function with USB connectors in my new Dell laptop.
>> > And Oh, by the way, I got
>> > a color printer with the Dell computer. In other words, three
>> > notebooks,
>> > three printers. Two on a switch with parallel that I want to connect
>> > when I
>> > need to USB (either individually or via UBS hub) to the new Dell. The
>> > much
>> > older black and white works well, the 820Cse does not. Someone
>> > suggested a docking station and that is probably best unless someone
>> > comes up with a
>> > better solution. HP does not longer provide or supp;ort these drivers
>> > and MS testing already suggested to leave the one that came with the
>> > system because there is not another one.

>> If I understand you correctly, you have parallel port printers and your
>> Dell laptops do not have parallel ports. Either get a docking station
>> for your Dell laptops or buy a networked (ethernet) print server. We
>> use a little Linksys print server to attach an older parallel port
>> laser printer to the network at our school library. It was not very
>> expensive. You will need to install the print server drivers on your
>> laptops.
>>
>> Malke
>> --
>> Elephant Boy Computers
>> www.elephantboycomputers.com
>> "Don't Panic!"
>> MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

Do you have big lots or and odd lots store near you?

If you do you can find a connector that will change USB port it to
parallel port

However, some hp printer requires direct connection to the computer
and does not allow pass through.

Greg Ro
Anonymous
September 12, 2005 5:44:44 PM

In Word, try unchecking "Background Printing" in Tools, Options, Print.

!