Is it XP Hom Ed, Dell laptops with only USB...

....or HP? a very old blac/white and a lesser old color both parallel work
well w/IBM notebooks. The new Dell only has USB and the black/white works,
bute the color 820Cse would only print Internet documents but none that I
type in Word or Wordperfect. Why print one kind but not what I am typing?
8 answers Last reply
More about dell laptops

    Have you set the default printer inside WORD?

    some support

    "Helpless" <Helpless@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    message
    | ...or HP? a very old blac/white and a lesser old color
    both parallel work
    | well w/IBM notebooks. The new Dell only has USB and the
    black/white works,
    | bute the color 820Cse would only print Internet documents
    but none that I
    | type in Word or Wordperfect. Why print one kind but not
    what I am typing?

    Yes, my black and white IS the default. The color 820Cse is the secondary
    printer

    Helpless wrote:

    > ...or HP? a very old blac/white and a lesser old color both parallel
    > work
    > well w/IBM notebooks. The new Dell only has USB and the black/white
    > works, bute the color 820Cse would only print Internet documents but
    > none that I
    > type in Word or Wordperfect. Why print one kind but not what I am
    > typing?

    Different printer drivers are used for Internet printing and regular
    printing. See if there are any current printer drivers for your printer
    on HP's website. If there are not, consider replacing the older printer
    with one supported by your operating system.

    Malke
    --
    Elephant Boy Computers
    www.elephantboycomputers.com

    Perhaps I did not make myself understood. It is not advise in what to
    purchase, but how to get a printer that works fine with my IBM notebooks
    (both with parallel connectors, one with Win98 the other with XP Pro) to
    function with USB connectors in my new Dell laptop. And Oh, by the way, I got
    a color printer with the Dell computer. In other words, three notebooks,
    three printers. Two on a switch with parallel that I want to connect when I
    need to USB (either individually or via UBS hub) to the new Dell. The much
    older black and white works well, the 820Cse does not. Someone suggested a
    docking station and that is probably best unless someone comes up with a
    better solution. HP does not longer provide or supp;ort these drivers and MS
    testing already suggested to leave the one that came with the system because
    there is not another one.

    Helpless wrote:

    > Perhaps I did not make myself understood. It is not advise in what to
    > purchase, but how to get a printer that works fine with my IBM
    > notebooks (both with parallel connectors, one with Win98 the other
    > with XP Pro) to function with USB connectors in my new Dell laptop.
    > And Oh, by the way, I got
    > a color printer with the Dell computer. In other words, three
    > notebooks,
    > three printers. Two on a switch with parallel that I want to connect
    > when I
    > need to USB (either individually or via UBS hub) to the new Dell. The
    > much
    > older black and white works well, the 820Cse does not. Someone
    > suggested a docking station and that is probably best unless someone
    > comes up with a
    > better solution. HP does not longer provide or supp;ort these drivers
    > and MS testing already suggested to leave the one that came with the
    > system because there is not another one.
    >
    > "Malke" wrote:
    >
    >> Helpless wrote:
    >>
    >> > ...or HP? a very old blac/white and a lesser old color both
    >> > parallel work
    >> > well w/IBM notebooks. The new Dell only has USB and the
    >> > black/white works, bute the color 820Cse would only print Internet
    >> > documents but none that I
    >> > type in Word or Wordperfect. Why print one kind but not what I am
    >> > typing?
    >>
    >> Different printer drivers are used for Internet printing and regular
    >> printing. See if there are any current printer drivers for your
    >> printer on HP's website. If there are not, consider replacing the
    >> older printer with one supported by your operating system.

    If I understand you correctly, you have parallel port printers and your
    Dell laptops do not have parallel ports. Either get a docking station
    for your Dell laptops or buy a networked (ethernet) print server. We
    use a little Linksys print server to attach an older parallel port
    laser printer to the network at our school library. It was not very
    expensive. You will need to install the print server drivers on your
    laptops.

    Malke
    --
    Elephant Boy Computers
    www.elephantboycomputers.com
    "Don't Panic!"
    MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

    Thanks - just printed this chat with your suggestion in THAT printer and it
    came out OK. It is just Word or Wordperfect documents that I am doing that
    will not work unless I either highlight in color or sometimes select a
    portion. Really unusual. But I will shop for both and see what reduces the
    expense.

    "Malke" wrote:

    > Helpless wrote:
    >
    > > Perhaps I did not make myself understood. It is not advise in what to
    > > purchase, but how to get a printer that works fine with my IBM
    > > notebooks (both with parallel connectors, one with Win98 the other
    > > with XP Pro) to function with USB connectors in my new Dell laptop.
    > > And Oh, by the way, I got
    > > a color printer with the Dell computer. In other words, three
    > > notebooks,
    > > three printers. Two on a switch with parallel that I want to connect
    > > when I
    > > need to USB (either individually or via UBS hub) to the new Dell. The
    > > much
    > > older black and white works well, the 820Cse does not. Someone
    > > suggested a docking station and that is probably best unless someone
    > > comes up with a
    > > better solution. HP does not longer provide or supp;ort these drivers
    > > and MS testing already suggested to leave the one that came with the
    > > system because there is not another one.

    > >> Different printer drivers are used for Internet printing and regular
    > >> printing. See if there are any current printer drivers for your
    > >> printer on HP's website. If there are not, consider replacing the
    > >> older printer with one supported by your operating system.
    > >>

    > If I understand you correctly, you have parallel port printers and your
    > Dell laptops do not have parallel ports. Either get a docking station
    > for your Dell laptops or buy a networked (ethernet) print server. We
    > use a little Linksys print server to attach an older parallel port
    > laser printer to the network at our school library. It was not very
    > expensive. You will need to install the print server drivers on your
    > laptops.
    >
    > Malke
    > --
    > Elephant Boy Computers
    > www.elephantboycomputers.com
    > "Don't Panic!"
    > MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

    On Sun, 11 Sep 2005 20:39:07 -0700, "Helpless"
    <Helpless@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >Thanks - just printed this chat with your suggestion in THAT printer and it
    >came out OK. It is just Word or Wordperfect documents that I am doing that
    >will not work unless I either highlight in color or sometimes select a
    >portion. Really unusual. But I will shop for both and see what reduces the
    >expense.
    >
    >"Malke" wrote:
    >
    >> Helpless wrote:
    >>
    >> > Perhaps I did not make myself understood. It is not advise in what to
    >> > purchase, but how to get a printer that works fine with my IBM
    >> > notebooks (both with parallel connectors, one with Win98 the other
    >> > with XP Pro) to function with USB connectors in my new Dell laptop.
    >> > And Oh, by the way, I got
    >> > a color printer with the Dell computer. In other words, three
    >> > notebooks,
    >> > three printers. Two on a switch with parallel that I want to connect
    >> > when I
    >> > need to USB (either individually or via UBS hub) to the new Dell. The
    >> > much
    >> > older black and white works well, the 820Cse does not. Someone
    >> > suggested a docking station and that is probably best unless someone
    >> > comes up with a
    >> > better solution. HP does not longer provide or supp;ort these drivers
    >> > and MS testing already suggested to leave the one that came with the
    >> > system because there is not another one.

    >> If I understand you correctly, you have parallel port printers and your
    >> Dell laptops do not have parallel ports. Either get a docking station
    >> for your Dell laptops or buy a networked (ethernet) print server. We
    >> use a little Linksys print server to attach an older parallel port
    >> laser printer to the network at our school library. It was not very
    >> expensive. You will need to install the print server drivers on your
    >> laptops.
    >>
    >> Malke
    >> --
    >> Elephant Boy Computers
    >> www.elephantboycomputers.com
    >> "Don't Panic!"
    >> MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

    Do you have big lots or and odd lots store near you?

    If you do you can find a connector that will change USB port it to
    parallel port

    However, some hp printer requires direct connection to the computer
    and does not allow pass through.

    Greg Ro

    In Word, try unchecking "Background Printing" in Tools, Options, Print.

Dell USB Windows XP