Pnball Magic opinion and tech help...

Hi.
I have the opportunity to buy a Pinball Magic for 1300 USD.
Is it worth it?
The game is in good condition, but have broken slingplastic´s (wich I
probably never will find replacement for).
I have played PM only once but it seems fun.
Any comment of it´s "fun-rating" compared to eg: ToM is highly appreciated.

The things I get worried about is the ability to find electronic parts for
it if needed, or does WMS parts often fit?
On this game the flippercoils have a "buzzy" sound, while it´s
activated...is this an adjustment thing (I know some stuff is adjustable at
Capcom pin´s) or standard sound at PM games?

Most of all I wounder if it´s a fun game to own compared to ToM or even
other games.

Thanx alot for any answer

Stefan "Pinballark" Ljungstrom Sweden

(Todays lineup: CFTBL, TS, WW)

I've defeated Magna Matra multiple times and have never encountered
such a problem. What software version are you running? Could it be
something other than the software?

pt

This is probably the answer. You could always revert to the previous
software revision...

ENCLOSED FIND UPDATED SOFTWARE FOR PINBALL MAGIC REPLACE EPROM's U1L
AND U1H WITH THE ENCLOSED SOFTWARE. THE FOLLOWING IS A LIST OF THE
CHANGES IMPLEMENTED IN V1.02.

MAGIC WAND COIL THERMAL FIX: IF THE WAND SHOTS ARE ATTEMPTED
REPETITIVELY CAUSING THE WAND COILS TO OVERHEAT, THE DIVERTER WILL NOT
DIVERT. THE SILENCE THE CRITICS TRICK WILL THEN BE COMPLETED BY THE
"MAGIC CARPET RIDE" RAMP EXIT SWITCH AND, THE LOCKS ARE NOT ALLOWED.
IT WILL TAKE APPROX. 1.25MIN(LOW LINE) TO 4.0MIN(HIGH LINE) TO COOL
DOWN AND RESUME PROPER OPERATION.

John

It was a fun game but the one I played didn't work 100%. $1300 is
about right, capcom parts are available directly from IPB.

I'm pretty sure the flipper buzz is a common thing
with the Capcom games. I don't really find it a problem.

IPB has pretty much any part you need for that game, and you
can buy it direct if needed. A few other folks have pieces, too.
Some of the more common playfield pieces are interchangeable of
course.

Price? Well, that's pretty wide open. If that's a nice example
of the game, that sounds like a fair price to me. It beats the
pants off of TOM, another similar theme. I think it's a great game
with some cool toys. Rock solid pin.

Fred
TX
CARGPB#8
===============================

Pinballark wrote:
> Hi.
> I have the opportunity to buy a Pinball Magic for 1300 USD.
> Is it worth it?
> The game is in good condition, but have broken slingplastic´s (wich I
> probably never will find replacement for).
> I have played PM only once but it seems fun.
> Any comment of it´s "fun-rating" compared to eg: ToM is highly appreciated.
>
> The things I get worried about is the ability to find electronic parts for
> it if needed, or does WMS parts often fit?
> On this game the flippercoils have a "buzzy" sound, while it´s
> activated...is this an adjustment thing (I know some stuff is adjustable at
> Capcom pin´s) or standard sound at PM games?
>
> Most of all I wounder if it´s a fun game to own compared to ToM or even
> other games.

pt

I am rebuilding a PM for a friend who is an amateur magician. He
bought both PM and TOM. The TOM lasted about 4 months and he sold it.
He loves the PM. I never was into TOM either.

PM is cool because it's different from WPC games in many subtle ways.
The sound quality is really good because of better speakers and
built-in speaker boxes in the backbox. The video is also better than
the average WPC game. I am not sure that I like the linear nature of
the game though. You do the modes in the same order each time...

The game seems to be built pretty tough except for the slingshot
brackets. Parts are available, but be prepared to wait - a long time!!
Also, there are two versions of the manual. I seem to have the wrong
one when it comes to ordering parts from IPB.

For $1300 it would be worth it as long as its in really good shape.

John

Most excellent game and thats a fair price. The buzzing is normal
because of the way Capcom cycled the power to the flippers. By the way
they are adjustable through the setup menu for strength, I leave mine on
10. Tried it for fun on 12 and thought it was gonna shoot the ball
through the back panel!
Probably THE best diags in all of pinball. It will even tell you which
lamps are out!
Way fun too and it holds the distinction of having the most patents on
any pinball machine. The toys are not static, all do something. It is a
linear game by design which some may find boring once all 21 tricks are
completed. However, the only easy shot is the loop. Everything else is
not so easy to hit! The speech in this game is done very well, a little
un-PC and not at all contrived like a certain other game often used in
comparison :)
Too many things to like; a bank of drop targets (yay!) two scoops on
opposite sides of the pf, two ramps, one of which leads to a hidden
stage with a popper and an elevator, a magic trunk to hold the balls for
multiball (two modes for multiball) a magic wand that actually suspends
the ball as it glides down to either the trunk or the two big mouthed
hecklers (silence the critics) and a top hat skill shot and a magic orb
that changes colors which you have to hit in time with the current color
thats lit, and the maddening captive ball with a ramped up mini pf that
LOOKS easy to hit but can drive ya nuts! All the while those two critics
are heckling you and pissing you off! Oh yeah, it's got game :)

--
Cliffy - CARGPB2
A passion for pinball!

It's twice as good as TOM at half the price. 'Nuff said.

>Thanx alot for any answer

The game is well worth that price. Most capcoms held up great and only
need a few parts which are able to be had at IPB. Downside is that IPB
is so screwed up that it takes FOREVER to get them shipped.

You send them a request, they send you prices, you order, they sit on
the order, sit some more, then add everything by hand, then send you
the bill, you pay, and they might ship right away....that above just
took 2 months. You are better off having gene take the parts to a show
so you can get them quicker (good luck)

Other than that, everything is great. Game is fun and I sold mine only
to fund a CV purchase.

Kirb

Excellent game. That's a good price, mine was $1600. A full plastics set
is available from IPB, I paid $150 last summer. Cool Capcom features
also include: every lamp is CPU controlled, no GI. This allows very neat
soft washing and fading effects as every light on the PF gently varies
brightness. The flippers are awesome, Stern should buy the rights to
these babies! Playfields are almost always pristine and glossy, I think
Capcom used a harder clearcoat. Much better diagnostics, real-time
updates of every switch and BULB that's not working. I just bought my
2nd Capcom partly because I'm very impressed with PM.

bogart
www.pinrestore.com

Pinballark wrote:
> Hi.
> I have the opportunity to buy a Pinball Magic for 1300 USD.
> Is it worth it?
> The game is in good condition, but have broken slingplastic´s (wich I
> probably never will find replacement for).
> I have played PM only once but it seems fun.
> Any comment of it´s "fun-rating" compared to eg: ToM is highly appreciated.
>
> The things I get worried about is the ability to find electronic parts for
> it if needed, or does WMS parts often fit?
> On this game the flippercoils have a "buzzy" sound, while it´s
> activated...is this an adjustment thing (I know some stuff is adjustable at
> Capcom pin´s) or standard sound at PM games?
>
> Most of all I wounder if it´s a fun game to own compared to ToM or even
> other games.
>
> Thanx alot for any answer
>
> Stefan "Pinballark" Ljungstrom Sweden
>
> (Todays lineup: CFTBL, TS, WW)

Hi all.
Thanx for the info, it´s really nice to get detailed info like this that
fast...
I´m right of to test my machine now...seya.

Some day i let you know about my machine on my soon refreshed site:)

Thanx again

/Stefan

"Pinballark" <stefan1@piballark.com> wrote in message
> I have the opportunity to buy a Pinball Magic for 1300 USD.
Well, I will chime in somewhat negatively here on PM. It is a very fun,
neat game - however, I feel it is let down big time by the software. Once
you are skilled enough so that you can regularly progress through the
levels, you will start encountering incredibly annoying mode bugs, that
almost completely ruin the game for me.

For instance - you are supposed to be silencing the critics, but the wand
still points to the trunk. Prepare to wait over a minute before the game
figures out where it put the ball. Or perhaps, you flipped so it
de-energized the wand and you dropped the ball ball before it made it over
to the trunk. I also find the final mode terrible.

If you don't regularly get all that far in pinballs it is probably a great
buy at that price. Getting parts is not a problem.

Andy

Andy you might have played a game with old software or opto and switch
problems. Mine doesnt do the things you describe.

--

"Cliffy" <crinear@comcast.net> wrote in message
> Andy you might have played a game with old software or opto and switch
> problems. Mine doesnt do the things you describe.
Definitely wasn't that. I'm much better at pins than I am with say, color
xy monitors :) The pin was in my house, and would only exhibit the problem
in a certain scenario, but that scenario happened fairly frequently. I am
fairly certain it was with the latest available software, but can't be sure.
Something like starting Silence the Critics with 1 ball locked for multiball
would confuse it all the time. Other than that, the game worked flawlessly.
I still find it better than ToM (somebody tell me why you wouldn't just time
out all the modes in that game? Seems to be the best strategy), but wasn't
worth keeping in my limitted space.

Andy

Do you know Hector Villalobos up there in Sac? He has my PM right now.
If mine has the same issues I'd like to know so please, go play it for
me :) And uh, yeah I get the xy monitor needle. But hey you know it was
working here! ARGH! :)

--

> Do you know Hector Villalobos up there in Sac? He has my PM right now.
Yeah, I saw it last time I was over, he had just gotten it. Didn't play it
though (somehow my attention was focussed on TSPP instead). He is at least
as good a player as I am, so maybe he has seen the problem. I'll send him
email. What ROM do you run? IIRC the one I had was on 1.12.

> me :) And uh, yeah I get the xy monitor needle. But hey you know it was
No, nothing like that. My house has destroyed 3 tempests, an asteroids, and
a star wars. I presume the space duel is on its last legs, but no sign of
anything going wrong with it yet :)

Andy

It has whatever the latest version is. I remember burning it as soon as
I got the game running. I'll ask Hector if he's seen any problems. I
know it got played pretty heavy a couple weeks ago for the Sac Pin
League night :)

--
Cliffy - CARGPB2
A passion for pinball!